Active Topics

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Indiana
I want to know if there is a speed increase from the internal flash (yes I did clone to internal) to a class 6 4gb MMC card?

I can't seem to find a simple set of instructions in one place to tell me how to clone from the internal flash to an external flash card. I have found instructions that I used to clone to the internal flash but now I am stumped on how to copy/clone that to my new removable MMC.

Since I have the boot menu in place and the tools are still on my n810 to do the clone I am wondering if I should keep trying. If the internal flash is just as speedy or close then I will just give up. There is plenty of room now to install all my programs and I don't want to push my luck by screwing something up.

I am truly impressed by the wiki and others who have contributed to let me get this far. There is so much you can do with this/these little tablets that it really makes me feel like I made the right purchase. Thanks

Have you tried console tools? I've not used it yet but it sounds pretty user friendly and full of coping goodness.

I like to keep my internal card free for copying stuff between cards when I don't have a computer handy.

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
The main reason to do this is for space for installable programs. Secondarily is to have a backup. Using Penguinbait's install tools it's pretty easy to set up... not sure what instructions you are using, but they should all point you that way.

There theoretically 'should' be a speed benefit, since the internal memory is compressed, just one more process. But in reality the difference isn't noticable in practice (browsing or playing videos).

Last edited by TheGogmagog; 2009-01-29 at 01:52.

I followed the wiki instructions here and it mentions credit to fanoush. I chose those instructions because Penguinbait's post mentioned this:

"install-tools will not be updated to support 43-7"

I didn't want to risk using it even though he said it should support 43-7 "in theory".

Now that I am booting and using the internal card are the files still compressed? I have plenty of room to install programs so that is not a concern. Maybe I should just use my external card for media. I am a little confused about the compression issue.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
There are three "disks" on the N810:
- built-in where the OS is installed: this uses a compressing file system and the file system cannot be changed easily and should not be changed because it handles wear-leveling to prolong the life of the Flash memory
- built-in 2 GB where the maps are usually stored: this uses an uncompressed Windows VFAT file system by default, but can be reformatted by the user. wear-leveling is handled by the controller hardware
- removable MMC: memory cards are usually formatted with VFAT, but can be reformatted by the user. wear-leveling is handled by the controller hardware

Thanks for clearing that up in regards to compression. Since I reformatted the internal flash memory and I am using it as my boot drive then I am not using VFAT so I am still using the OS on a compressed system?

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
My benchmarks show that there is no real benefit from class6 since max. write speed I see is about 4MBytes/sec (timed dd command to Sandisk's cl6 sdhc).

So the internal flash memory card, where I am booting from, is equal to the same speed as booting from a class 6 MMC external card?

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by RavMan View Post
... Since I reformatted the internal flash memory and I am using it as my boot drive then I am not using VFAT so I am still using the OS on a compressed system?
We can boot the device from:

1. flash : 256 MB (uncompressing it will yield to ~ 512 MB)
2. internal flash: 2GB
3. external flash: xxGB

If you have cloned the OS then most likely you put the OS in (2).
And the OS is not on a compressed file system, (i.e the OS is in ext2 or ext3 not jffs)

The Following User Says Thank You to nhanquy For This Useful Post: