Active Topics

Originally Posted by qole View Post
hordeman: that's interesting, a 2GB file is too big for the N8x0?

I'll try to do some testing...
sorry for the delay in replying, but I wanted to get you a screenshot. The file is on a fat16 partition and copied over from xp via usb.
Attached Images

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
So I thought to give this another try.

That was a mistake. *lol*

I downloaded the debian-m5-v3b.img.ext2.lzma from your site and extracted it with 7zip to my Desktop Windows Computer.

From there I transferred the debian-m5-v3b.img.ext2 file to my memory card (fat32) by USB and installed easy-deb-chroot from Extras.

Whenever I try anything I'm getting the error that there's no debian.img.ext2 file on my memory card.

From here I clicked on the Debian Image Installer and dug myself even deeper since it's downloading something and I can't find a way to stop it.

Why can't I just be normal like you guys?

Edit:
Also did a reboot and still received the same error.

Last edited by Addison; 2010-04-08 at 01:58.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
I downloaded the debian-m5-v3b.img.ext2.lzma ... Whenever I try anything I'm getting the error that there's no debian.img.ext2 file on my memory card.

Why can't I just be normal like you guys?
How is that being normal? I have the same issue. (Look at the two posts right above yours. Reading the thread, are we? ) If you use the older image, it should work just fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
How is that being normal? I have the same issue. (Look at the two posts right above yours. Reading the thread, are we? ) If you use the older image, it should work just fine.
I am too stupid to live! *lol*

How on earth did I miss your post?

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
I am too stupid to live! *lol*

How on earth did I miss your post?
You need to live, my dear sir. The more Nokia ITT people there are, the better. I've made the same mistake in the past too! *lol*

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm going to make a new version of the image on the weekend, and I'll make a mini version (less than 2GB) for tablet users. I am totally shocked that a 2GB image would fail like this, but ... good to know, I guess...

(Addison, you made me laugh with your post! " Why can't I just be normal like you guys?")

Last edited by qole; 2010-04-08 at 18:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I'm going to make a new version of the image on the weekend, and I'll make a mini version (less than 2GB) for tablet users. I am totally shocked that a 2GB image would fail like this, but ... good to know, I guess...
Awesome! Thank you so much. BTW, where would I find the instructions for copying the image contents to it's own partition? (I'm assuming that people don't mean just copying the image file to its own partition when they reference this.)

(Addison, you made me laugh with your post! " Why can't I just be normal like you guys?")
Addison, what file manager are you using, BTW?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
hordeman:

If you want to have a dedicated partition (honestly, a good idea for the tablets, since it is faster than even the "turbo" dm-loop), untar the contents of debian-m5-v3b-rootfs.tar.bz2 into a formatted ext2 partition. You can do this (as root) on any Linux computer, not just the tablet. I would use something like gparted to partition and format the SD card.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
hordeman:

If you want to have a dedicated partition (honestly, a good idea for the tablets, since it is faster than even the "turbo" dm-loop), untar the contents of debian-m5-v3b-rootfs.tar.bz2 into a formatted ext2 partition. You can do this (as root) on any Linux computer, not just the tablet. I would use something like gparted to partition and format the SD card.
Oh, the hell people?

So I went ahead and Googled "formatted ext2 partition" windows since I'm running XP.

Here's where my friendly first link took me.

The following immediate link brought me to this excellent post.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=601795

I hate you people! *lol*

To answer your question Horde, I'm using EmelFM2 as my file manager thingy.

Addison: My Google search took me to the Ext2 File System Driver for Windows project page.

But if you get a halfway-decent partition editor for Windows, it will support ext2 format.

One really neat alternative is to get the GParted Live CD. Burn the ISO to a CD or put it on a bootable USB stick. Then you can boot to GParted and partition your SD card to have an ext2 partition from there.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
debian, easy debian, extras-devel, free