If the pictures were taken exactly at 5:45 UT (Universal time) every tenth day, why doesn't each half contain the same number?

Source: http://baszottbanda.blogspot.com/200...mplicated.html

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
thats a pretty analemma.
its odd shaped because our orbit isn't round.
this sort of stuff fascinates me, you get a different pattern if you took the same set of photos either at a different time of day or different location.
its like an intergalactic spirograph.

lissajous patterns come close

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I love the idea of an 'intergalactic spirograph... everything from precession of equinoxes to the slightly eliptical nature of our orbit. Making pretty patterns on the sky!

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Los Angeles, CA, USA
Originally Posted by dkwatts View Post

If the pictures were taken exactly at 5:45 UT (Universal time) every tenth day, why doesn't each half contain the same number?

Source: http://baszottbanda.blogspot.com/200...mplicated.html
The best explanation is here:
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithab...oks_like_a.php

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
fascinating never knew that the sun would line up like that just like number 8 so number 8 is created from the sun dial

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Thanks you made my day.!

Haven't seen an analemma before nor knew that word existed!

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland

When stars like our own sun die they will become white dwarfs. As a star like our sun is running out of fuel in its core it begins to bloat into a red giant. This will happen to our sun in 5 Billion years. The inner planets, Mercury, Venus, Earth, and Mars will all be consumed by the sun's expanding surface. Then after a few million years the outer layers of the red giant will begin to puff off and form a planetary nebula. Leaving behind only the dead core of the star made of mostly carbon and oxygen. This is the white dwarf.

A typical white dwarf is about the size of the Earth. It is also very dense and hot. A spoonful of white dwarf material on Earth would weigh as much as a car. Strange, isn't it?

Last edited by God; 2009-11-29 at 23:30.