Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
I just read a post that I think others would be interested to see. In a thread about the MyPaint application, forum member MobileDivide wrote that "[MyPaint] and Numptyphysics have redefined my tablet use over the last few days."

I can believe it.

MyPaint is a "small [Hildonized] pressure-sensitive painting application written in python and gtk" by Martin Renold and ported to Maemo by Anders Gudmundson.

Here are a couple example drawings done on an N810 in MyPaint by ArnimS:

Not the usual kind of thing we've seen so far.

Numpty Physics is tme's gravity-physics game using the same Box2D engine as Crayon Physics.

MyPaint and Numpty Physics have one thing in common — they let us use the Internet Tablet as a tablet. Sketching can never be done gracefully with a mouse. Even graphics tablets — hand on the tablet, eye on the screen — have a disconnect. So sketching your idea right on the screen — or painting it — is, well, transformative.

Unlike other graphics programs the IT has seen so far, MyPaint focuses on brush controls, rather than image-editing, enabling the full range of styles a pressure-sensitive tablet can capture.

When we talk about the Internet Tablet as being revolutionary or transformative, it's because everything in its conception — display, open platform, size and weight, price — serves to free us from the constraints our desk/laptops have imposed on us.

So, thanks are due to Martin and Anders and tme and Erin Catto* for these specific versions of these great applications. And to the Nokia seers who conceived the Internet Tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to RogerS For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Thanks for the quote RogerS, it is true. The N810 tablet I use is a very unique tool in that it has a combination of finger, styus and keyboard operation that I think is really underestimated. I see a lot of people clamoring for a finger UI like the iphone or back in the days of N800 it was a slide out keyboard. Other users want HWR like the Newton and yet others are content with stylus input and tapping on the onscreen keyboard.

I LOVE the N810 because it allows me a choice. When I surf a full non zoomed webpage I like being able to use a stylus to select small elements like links. In Canola I love that I can finger through my music collection like flipping through a CD book or a photo album and the pull out keyboard is invaluable when I am IM'ing with friends and can have a full screen dedicated to the conversation thread and not half taken up by a finger keyboard. I would not want to replace any of those functions with any other UI mechanism, really, and yes I have extensively used and browsed with an iPhone.

These new programs I have been using recently really highlighted the use of a touch screen with a stylus that can't be replicated with the same satisfaction using any other input method, just as using a hardware keyboard is great for tapping IM (maybe haptic tech will change that).

Anyway there is a lot of great work being done within the community recently so kudos to all the people bringing us great software both to play with and be productive with.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
only change they could do (beyond the obvious upgrades to storage, cpu and ram) would maybe be to change the display into something like what used on the dell latitude tx tablet pc.

http://www.n-trig.com/

that way one could use a stylus (it has its uses, no matter what the iphone people say), finger or keyboard (either on screen or physical), and get accuracy that would really put what one have today to shame.

btw, didnt apple shop around for a handwriting expert recently?