Notices

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by www.rzr.online.fr View Post
p-uae should support amiga version
I havent checked yet but I can have a look at it ...
I have always been a big fan of the Pinball series on the Amiga. I tried Pinball Dreams a few times using UAE4ALL (n900), but for the right flipper to operate, I need the right-shift key, which seems not defined in any way. Maybe I would have more luck with some alternative emulator.

And the reviews of this N9 version are positive, so a native N900 version would be welcome [wishfull thinking mode]

Originally Posted by ade View Post
And the reviews of this N9 version are positive, so a native N900 version would be welcome [wishfull thinking mode]
It's otherwise doable (and actually was already done a couple of years ago), but since the N900 screen doesn't support multitouch it's only fully playable using the keyboard. (Most players will want to use both flippers at the same time.) This, in turn, pretty much means landscape only gameplay which will most likely put off some people. The PSP version did support portrait as well though but that was much more suitable for the PSP because of its button layout. On the PSPgo, which has a sliding screen like the N900, the controls were rather awkward in portrait. Because of these reasons it was not seen feasible to release an N900 version but to go for the N9 instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Vesuri View Post
Because of these reasons it was not seen feasible to release an N900 version but to go for the N9 instead.
Bluetooth keyboards/mouses/gamegrippers do exist, so it's mostly a non-existing problem.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Bluetooth keyboards/mouses/gamegrippers do exist, so it's mostly a non-existing problem.
The majority of (mainstream) users do not have or want to use such devices, so it's definitely an existing problem. An application requiring such peripherals may be interesting to a small number of enthusiasts but a commercial offering that requires them is not viable. Such an offering would disappoint a lot of users and would generate much more negative feedback than making it available in the first place is worth.

The Following User Says Thank You to Vesuri For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Vesuri View Post
It's otherwise doable (and actually was already done a couple of years ago), but since the N900 screen doesn't support multitouch it's only fully playable using the keyboard. (Most players will want to use both flippers at the same time.) This, in turn, pretty much means landscape only gameplay which will most likely put off some people. The PSP version did support portrait as well though but that was much more suitable for the PSP because of its button layout. On the PSPgo, which has a sliding screen like the N900, the controls were rather awkward in portrait. Because of these reasons it was not seen feasible to release an N900 version but to go for the N9 instead.
Wouldn't this solvable using "resistive pseudo-multitouch"? When pressing two spots on a resistive display at the same time, it will report an event in the middle of those two (one can check this e.g. with mypaint). I do not know your implementation of Pinball Fantasies on the N9, but I guess flippers are controlled by something like "lower left border touch -> left flipper", "lower right border ->right flipper". So if you receive an event somewhere in the middle of the lower border, you know that the user probably pressed both flipper buttons.

But as I said, I only know this game on the Amiga, so there might be more involved than this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by ade View Post
since Harmattan is also seen as Maemo 6 and the distinction in device is not always made in the various subsections, I think is best to mention N800, N900 or N9 in the thread title in those cases. Avoids some potential disappointments
Indeed, I think that is a great idea and I see that some posters are already doing that. And considering that this is really the active forum for N9/MeeGo/Harmattan stuff, I really don't appreciate the smartass remarks and other comments that will make people leave the community.

In this case the poster is a developer @ Nokia, so I'd gather that we would like to have such people onboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to Soppa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by Soppa View Post
Indeed, I think that is a great idea and I see that some posters are already doing that. And considering that this is really the active forum for N9/MeeGo/Harmattan stuff, I really don't appreciate the smartass remarks and other comments that will make people leave the community.

In this case the poster is a developer @ Nokia, so I'd gather that we would like to have such people onboard.
It's quite clear that this forum needs sub-sections for all the N9/Meego stuff to keep it separate from the N900 (and N810 etc) stuff.

And you really think that "smartass remarks" comments are enough to make someone "leave"?! Jeez - grow up dude - this isn't the school playground y'know. If you've got any issues with any posts, just report them and let the mods take care of it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 116 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
It's quite clear that this forum needs sub-sections for all the N9/Meego stuff to keep it separate from the N900 (and N810 etc) stuff.

And you really think that "smartass remarks" comments are enough to make someone "leave"?! Jeez - grow up dude - this isn't the school playground y'know. If you've got any issues with any posts, just report them and let the mods take care of it.
Even if they didn't make anyone leave, I don't see much added value in such comments. I think such comments and remarks are exactly what makes this place more like this "school playground" you mentioned. And to me it seems quite ironic that you suggest to me to report the posts since we wouldn't be in this situation at all if you would've followed your own advise in the first place.

The rule of thumb, was that Harmattan'ish stuff was posted under harmattan section, while other sections were reserved for threads matching site address/logo/concept (for not-so-bright ones - I mean Maemo). Up to date, no one seemed to have problem with this, so I think current discussion is just effect laziness and cheap excuses for it.

In any case, I don't have problem with "opening" software section for both platforms (despite the fact, that following this logic, "Software" - which isn't any Os subcategory - could be used also to discuss not only Maemo or Harmattan, but Android, Windows, or any sh** programs... Not necessary mobile. But, whatever.), yet, with device mentioned in title as a must. As it "new topics" spam with harmattan stuff wasn't enough...

By the way, original poster still haven't modified thread title to contain simple [N9(50] string, which advocates "laziness theory" even more.

/Estel

// edit

On-topic, I think that Oblomow's idea with "left - left flipper, right - right flipper, middle (invisible) button - both flipper" is just great. I also can't agree, that keyboards are niche - thanks to hostmode, everyone can connect any USB keyboard he/she feel fancy, if we want to put bluetooth keyboards to niche section (which I also don't agree). Of course, no one will force any developer to make her/his program more popular so both arguments are just for classification.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-03-29 at 13:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: