The silver tab comes off quite easily on its own, it's not connected to the protector the way Nokia's screen films all used to be, so Nokia is actually making the purpose LESS obvious.

I suspect this is because a lot of customers (like myself) quite like having a plastic film to take the knocks instead of the actual screen, even if the screen itself could cope with the required stresses.

I have an E61 which is over a year old, and its film is still neatly in place.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Right-- DURING SHIPPING.
Why would it not prevent dust and grime after shipping?

There are absolutely no loose edges or bubbles, in fact if you remove the silver tab there's absolutely no way of knowing there even is a plastic film there.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
krisse, I get the feeling you're arguing for the sake of arguing now. You've been presented with sound explanations.

As for the silver tab, it usually sticks to the shipping film well enough to remove it. It occasionally does not. Still, I think reasonable people should be able to figure out its intended use with a little thought.

As to your last question, I'm not sure what you're getting at. Of course it can protect from dust and grime after shipping. But that isn't its intended use! AGAIN: the shipping film is soft and scratches easier than true screen protectors.

This thread is getting exasperating for me, so I give up. I tried.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
The Quick Start guide clearly states to remove the plastic film and has a tab to grab it easily. This is NOT meant to be used regularly.

The Following User Says Thank You to dubiousmike For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dubiousmike View Post
The Quick Start guide clearly states to remove the plastic film and has a tab to grab it easily. This is NOT meant to be used regularly.
I was thinking that should be covered by the Guide but didn't have one handy. Thanks Mike.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Germantown, MD
I have seen people using seat covers in the car, leaving TV remote in the plastic bag, etc., so to each his own. I don't use screen protect and there isn't a single scratch yet.

Hey, I notice you live in Germantown! That's cool I live in Poolesville (about 20 minutes off!)

Anyway. I still have the existing one that came with the tablet on it (with the diamond sticker residue) but that's because I'm waiting on a screen protector. And yeah I know you can use a touch screen device without a protector, my Nintendo DS is an example of that. And there's no loss in touch sensitivity. It's just scratched a bit and obvious when it's off (when it's on you can't see them).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I left the bag on my boxsprings when I bought a new bed. I mean, why take it out of the bag if you can use it with the bag still on it? I did that for about a year before my cat tore through the bag.

Don't see the big deal. I had ordered some screen protectors, but left the shipping protector on. (A napkin and some lighter fluid got the silver stuff and residue off) Bought the n800 last year in Jan and the n810 in Nov this year. Both have the same film that they shipped with. Yes the n800 film if scratched quite a bit, but doesn't interfere with visibility so its still on. When it gets to bother me I will apply the ones I ordered.

The Following User Says Thank You to nef919 For This Useful Post:
That's it. I'm calling Honda for a new car!! It didn't come with a scratch resistant film on the front and now there's all kinds of rock chips in the paint.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

The Following User Says Thank You to barry99705 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by spiderx View Post
I left the bag on my boxsprings when I bought a new bed. I mean, why take it out of the bag if you can use it with the bag still on it? I did that for about a year before my cat tore through the bag.
Lesson learned: it's useless to imprison anything with claws in a plastic bag.

(I kid, I kid... I know what you meant )