Active Topics

worst part, people hated symbian for folders. now suddeny its the best way to organise. A4 is nothing new. it is not developed by apple either. they way they talk on the video is kinda sad. we should pity them coz they are introduced to technology in 2010.

The Following User Says Thank You to lifenexus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 762 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by lifenexus View Post
worst part, people hated symbian for folders. now suddeny its the best way to organise. A4 is nothing new. it is not developed by apple either. they way they talk on the video is kinda sad. we should pity them coz they are introduced to technology in 2010.
And I even think that the S60 5th implementation of folders was actually pretty good in terms of how easy it was or how good it looked. This was the one aspect that gave me a warm fuzzy feeling about the 5800XM.

On the other hand, Apple is doing a great job of making high-end features more accesible for the mass market. Stuff like video calling have been possible for a while, but apparently it takes Apple to sell the feature to the public. I mean something must be wrong if you introduced something 10 years ago and people still don't know about it. Sounds like very bad marketing!

So I think that yes, it's profoundly irritating what Apple is doing. At the same time, companies like Nokia have only themselves to blame for not selling these features to the public, and instead waiting to see what will take off with the public. This is a business after all!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cjp For This Useful Post:
>> The one that will be running Harmattan.

Link with Nokia annoucement ?

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
I despise Apple, and I despise the need for human beings to follow, but I am also a marketer and I have to say, Apple are way ahead - they don't need to worry about whether it has been done before or not. They have created such a cult brand with Steve Jobs as the god-like figurehead that if they said 'Steve Jobs is the first human being to take a leak in a urinal' they would all clap and cheer.

Nokia, on the other hand, does jack all. if you put posters up all over London (as Apple does) creating some kind of geek-chic around the N900 it would work, but whoever does their marketing has kind of totally missed out on how people consume advertising in modern times. Word of mouth is one thing but it is only one channel that needs to be supported by others.

And lets face it, developers and e.g. Adobe will look at products based on how much coverage/cash they themselves get from it.

Apple are vile, but their marketing strategy really is one are where all brands, not just Nokia, should watch and learn. Although clearly they should stop short of being dictatorial, humourless, totally-money-grabbing b*stards of the highest order.

Last edited by digital909; 2010-06-09 at 08:55.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by digital909 View Post
Apple are vile, but their marketing strategy really is one are where all brands, not just Nokia, should watch and learn.
Their marketing relies on the fact that people are uneducated and just dumb.

I just refuse to accept that this is the "watch and learn" role model you want other companies to follow. I don't wantg to live in a world where all companies only cater this one market segment: uneducated people. I'd like to have some more variety. Let Apple cater Apple-followers, they want it that way. But don't wish for other companies to go for the same market segment. You'll wake up in a world full of iPhones.

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
No Wayyy!!! There are things like folders now???? Oh how technology moves so fast! I am soo buying an iPhone just cuz I can make folders!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
>> The one that will be running Harmattan.

Link with Nokia annoucement ?
Nothing official yet.
Still, Harmattan is under development, so it is only logical that there will be a device which will be running it.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

I just refuse to accept that this is the "watch and learn" role model you want other companies to follow. I don't wantg to live in a world where all companies only cater this one market segment: uneducated people. I'd like to have some more variety. Let Apple cater Apple-followers, they want it that way. But don't wish for other companies to go for the same market segment. You'll wake up in a world full of iPhones.
So true... When I see commercials like this one it make me angry because I feel they are condescending and must think I'm stupid to believe their bull. I have had videocalling ever since I had the Sonyericsson z1010 (its from 4Q 2003) video calling is (was) a gimmick at best as it is a very awkward way to talk on the phone... its like talking with the speaker on as everyone else can follow your conversation... I also owned the z800 (from 1Q 2005) and right around there videocalling also got borring...

Well if goldfish have a memory span of arround 4 seconds, the apple user must have a span of arround 5 years... so arround 2012 we'll start seeing commersials for the apple iphone...

"are you tirred of all the gimmicks, and techy stuff your phone can do!? Like folders, and videocalling, is your camera too good!?" "well now you can go back to basics and buy the iPhone "classic" where we have re-invented the way you use your phone!!!"

The Following User Says Thank You to Brunorange For This Useful Post:
Posts: 44 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post

Agreed, a lot of people are maybe not going to win the nobel prize for anything anyday soon. However, you can apply the model and use it in different ways. Fact is, Nokia's poor strategy means that their devices are badly supported - not enough people using, not enough visibilty. I know it's open source and all that, but have a think about how many larger organisations have a hand in the smooth running of the N900 (adobe, mozilla)...

I'm thinking Flash 10.1 here - if N900 was plastered all over the place even half as much as a HTC handset then they would have no option but to upgrade it. As it stands, they look on these forums and think it's an insignificant number of Linux geeks and semi-tech early adopters who complain among themselves, so nobody gives a stuff about it. Pee off the Apple fanboys, and there would be hordes gathering in Sicilcon Valley to beg Lord Jobs to overturn his decision.

If the world ran on decisions based on merit rather than profitability it would be a much better place. Sadly, it doesn't. As far as I'm concerned, it's about using your brain to use the system to your ends without becoming a part of the machine.

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ London
The 'retina display' which is a marketing gimmick is rather misleading as it suggests new technology. However they are the first product with it so they can claim it like Everest.