Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
So it seems like it would be $35 a month for unlimited data only with no voice. It would be nice if you could use the medianet unlimited for $15 on the N900.
Hrm, that's rather disappointing. I may have to stick with MediaNET. :/

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
More like dancing around somewhere way out in left field. Qtopia? I'm gonna assume your confusing it with Qt, which is available in Extras. . . .
I tried to search for qt on this forum but can't because it's too short.

qt wasn't in this list: http://repository.maemo.org/unstable...omparison.html

and given Nokia was supposed to be porting qt, that was awfully surprising, especially since clutter is supported and clutter feels a little... unfinished to me.

Also isn't qt in extras-devel not extras? Thanks for the pointer though.

I don't see extras or extras-devel yet for fremantle either. Granted I haven't even installed it yet.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by sarahn View Post
qt wasn't in this list: http://repository.maemo.org/unstable...omparison.html
Obviously, because Fremantle isn't shipping official Qt support.

and given Nokia was supposed to be porting qt, that was awfully surprising
Nokia is porting Qt, the results of which are available right now in Extras. But for Fremantle Qt will only be community supported, the official support will come with Harmattan. This means a Qt Garage project and distribution through Extras (much like Python).

especially since clutter is supported and clutter feels a little... unfinished to me.
Unfinished how, exactly? Are you referring to the example Clutter UIs available or the actual toolkit? Either way, recall that this is only a pre-alpha.

Also isn't qt in extras-devel not extras? Thanks for the pointer though.
I didn't make a differentiation because it isn't relevant here. They've got somewhere in the ballpark of 6 months to polish it up and move it to Extras. Give it time.

I don't see extras or extras-devel yet for fremantle either. Granted I haven't even installed it yet.
Setting up Extras for Fremantle means setting up the autobuilder for Fremantle, which isn't just a "flip the switch" sort of task. Especially given that this pre-alpha isn't targeting application developers or users, it may take a few weeks to get Extras set up.

Again, these things take time. This is a very early pre-alpha release intended to give platform developers and those folks interested in the platform architecture a jumpstart on Fremantle, and for Nokia to begin collecting feedback about it from them. This release is not intended for application developers, nor is it intended for users. From your questions, it sounds like you're more of an application developer, so you're gonna want to wait for a later alpha release or the beta release around March-May.

This is not a finalized 1.0 release ready for general consumption, so don't expect everything that will be in the final product to be here yet, and don't expect everything that is here to be 100% polished.

If you want to get started with Qt right now, my recommendation is to start with the Qt page on Garage and go from there.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
A new device does not make your current one cease to work.

New firmware does not cause your current OS to expire.
No, but that's not the issue. There are certain features in the current firmware that don't work as advertised. The (implied, perhaps mistakenly) assumption was that we would report these and they would be fixed in the lifecycle of the products (note that this is different to how the rest of the industry works, where if features are broken you just return the device for a refund and go buy a competitor's product instead).

The objection most of us are having is that the current device/firmware combination still doesn't work as advertised and it's (now officially) never going to get fixed.

This is orthogonal to the openness argument by the way. I do think that the Maemo team are mostly picking the right battles to fight with the resources they have available. I also think that Nokia has provided a terrible after-sales experience, even after they were promising that they learned from the 770 and this wouldn't happen again. In other words, I love maemo but I don't trust Nokia as a vendor that much anymore :-(

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
The objection most of us are having is that the current device/firmware combination still doesn't work as advertised and it's (now officially) never going to get fixed.
And if it gets fixed unofficially, would that be good enough? Assuming we can get a decent-ish Diablo-on-steroids out, you'll have a far better chance of fixing any problems you see yourself, or persuading others that they are important and fixing them en-mass.

I can (sort of) understand your frustration (though I have various devices that have limitations/problems which get very very infrequent firmware updates, which usually cause more problems than they solve too).

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by lma View Post
(note that this is different to how the rest of the industry works, where if features are broken you just return the device for a refund and go buy a competitor's product instead).
If you buy a Nokia Internet Tablet and you think there is something wrong with it you can exercise your customer rights - business as usual in the consumer electronics industry.

Filing bugs and get them eventually fixed in updates goes in addition to (and not instead of) the guarantee of the product.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Well, AFAIK, the internet tablets are advertised for mobile internet. They do that very fine compared to other mobile devices and even support Flash, which is very uncommon for mobile devices.
The devices were never advertised for mobile office or as a laptop replacement. They can be used for that and somewhat work, but fixing the OS to make the devices more useful in this direction has nothing to with fixing the software to do what it was advertised for.
Most people don't even install any applications and just use the tablet for surfing. Works as advertised.
Firmware updates for anything else than serious bug fixes (e.g. N800 corrupting SDHC cards) are nice to have and actually happen, but they're not required to make it "work as advertised".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Firmware updates for anything else than serious bug fixes (e.g. N800 corrupting SDHC cards) are nice to have and actually happen, but they're not required to make it "work as advertised".
The problem is that the 770 shows us that even serious bug fixes (e.g. 770 corrupting MMC cards) do not deserve firmware upgrades once the next device is out.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
No, but that's not the issue.(
It most certainly was the issue with regards to the post to which I responded.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 99 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
On that note, does anybody know how much AT&T is likely to charge for data? I'm paying $20/mo for data now, and I believe it'll only be $30/mo for a data plan for the tablet, but I'm not sure.
This is a good question to ask as far as data plans. ATT has the media net unlimited plan for $15/month that I use on my Nokia E71 and N95-4. Win/Mo phones and Blackberry phones and iPhone (or anything with a qwerty that they sell that they consider a PDA) are charged $30/month for unlimited data. These plans are coupled with voice plans. If you look at their web site they only only truly have ONE plan that doesn't include voice and that's the DataConnect plan designed for laptop HSDPA cards and they charge $60/month for that. I would love to see a $15 or $20 plan but it may be that the only way to add cheap data is to add a line to a family plan for $9.99 and add the $15 media net plan to it for a total of $25 plus taxes. But by the time the "N900" is released ATT may have changed their plan pricing so we'll have to wait and see.