Posts: 307 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ P.A.
Interested to see the email functionality in this thing...

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Where'd you see that?
In the official specs it's 2.1+edr, but hopefully they upgrade to BT4 later, along with usb-otg!?
No idea if they will though, probably not....

Don't really care that there's no mhl or hdmi out, what's wrong with the video-out already built-in!?
Does the job just as nicely, get a hdmi adapter if you need one!
i saw that here
http://www.google.de/search?client=s..._KF8PoOeL8raMO

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
glimpse of email (one pic )

http://mynokiablog.com/wp-content/up...tion-thumb.jpg

What makes you think outputting via the Nokia AV 3.5 port is in any way inferior to outputting via hdmi?
Anyway I don't see where its proven we don't have USB-otg or HDMI... yet.
Just because it's no mentioned in official specs, doesn't mean its not there,
Some other things may be further supported in the coming weeks... or not.
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that AV outputs to 800x600 if this isn't the case and it can out put to 1280×720 then perfect. Could anyone shed more light on this?

Originally Posted by ZackMorris View Post
Quick question, does NFC have the capability one day to be paired up with lets say a NFC HDMI Video adapter, or is the communication speed not rapid enough to stream video?
NFC is ultra low speed. The main advantage is low range ~10 cm maximum. Check ISO 14443 A/B standards. The max communication is arround 800 kbit/s

That makes it "secure" to exchange shared secret for bluetooth/wifi pairing.

The Following User Says Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Richmond, VA
Originally Posted by zymo View Post
glimpse of email (one pic )

http://mynokiablog.com/wp-content/up...tion-thumb.jpg
http://swipe.nokia.com/features/ click find out more at the bottom, has a little tech demo of email

The Following User Says Thank You to brandonc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Richmond, VA
one other thing...no landscape on the homescreens?

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by scapegoat845 View Post
I know this isn't the answer you want, but I have to raise the point that Kontact Touch will be a FOSS mail client. I wonder if it could be integrated as the default mail/contacts app, or if it can read/write the same address book as the bundled one (99% sure that the second answer is yes due to Qt Mobility APIs).

The Following User Says Thank You to suy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Diavoli View Post
I agree with your assessment 100%, but the only thing I can honestly think of that this is truly a "market disrupting device" because it I honestly whole heartedly truly believe that this is not the last Meego phone we'll see from Nokia. Think about the Iphone 3G when it first came out, it slowly got better and better, more added feature then before you know it, leading smartphone. I believe this is what Nokia wants to do, have you guys on here Develop using the N950 and support this little side project called Meego until they've used up MS money for the time being. Then in 5 years ( I think that's how long MS signed up for) used as a bargaining chip, so honestly guys, in the end its all about money and leverage and strategy. So next year's Meego phone will have a few more things like HDMI output or Adobe flash downloaded from the store option like Android has.

Listen, people are dumb, phone buyers are dumber, you think my little sister cares about this stuff, hell no, when she picks up an iphone 4 and sees glitz and glamour or it, like how smooth the interface is and the pretty features, you think she has a clue about ecosystem? Like honestly she could care less. But I'll put any money down on the line, right now you put Iphone 4 beside the N9, just from UI and design, N9 will win 9 out of 10 times. Thats a fact.

my two cents.

I'd like to thank all the future N950 developers ahead of time for their courage and efforts for our future meego phones
You're right the N9 has a great design, to be honest maybe one of the best around. As an operating system Harmatten is awesome, so is Maemo 5.

I do disagree with you about people not caring about an ecosystem. Granted, perhaps they don't even know it's called an ecosystem or that they've even joined one. I've been helping people build or pick their electronic devices since I was 14 and still to this day I'll get people who tell me that they need a laptop or desktop with a powerful graphics card and it has to be Nvidia because Nvidia is best, or it could be AMD CPU is best because last they shopped for a coumputer was in the AMD 64 days and all they remember was someone telling them to go AMD and they've just never stopped.

You're right that people don't know architecture but they do know numbers and when they see 1.5 ghz vs 1.0 ghz at the same price they'll more often enough pick 1.5 ghz because more is better, same with ram, 512 has to be better than 256. Sure, they don't know if it's ddr 3 or ddr 4 it's just a higher number which just makes it better. So, I do believe that specs do make a fair difference in clients choices. If you don't market specs but you market it as a newer number such as, iphone 5 vs iphone 4 and how it's much faster, better ect... you get the same effect.

Same with the app ecosystem, when you're at airport and you see you can check in with an iphone app, when you're bank advertises mobile banking with an iphone app, when you're friends have these cool games on their iphone, when you go to twitter, and facebook and they advertise their mobile iphone clients you begin to wonder hey whats all this iphone business about. Ditto with android.

Now lets say you're sister is shopping for a mobile phone, she gets the N9 and realizes that suddenly the situation isn't quite the same. There isn't all these N9 apps and all her favorite sites are offering iphone apps but not N9 apps, do you think she'll rebuy?

This phone may get more mainstream than the N900, but it's not going to replace iOS or andorid. Nokia knows this, which is why they've chosen to go with Phone 7. So, if you're not successfully targeting that causal crowd who are you going to target? the power users? the latest and the best crowd? I don't think Nokia figured this out and that is the problem.

Nokia is now the underdog and their track record isn't that great as of late. If they can't make a device that wow's with amazing software and equally amazing hardware I fear they're not going to gain casual users and they'll lose the existing power ones.

The N9 is a good device, but amongst a sea of other good devices Nokia badly needs an amazing one.

Last edited by billybobjones; 2011-06-21 at 21:02.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to billybobjones For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by billybobjones View Post
I'll tell you why people here are disappointed: If I was working at a mobile phone store and regular Joe walks in wondering what type of phone he should get, I'd direct him to the phone or windows phone 7, which I know in good conscience would be: easy to use, have decent functionality, look pretty, have terrific usage expandability via apps and be supported for at least 2 years.
If I was working in a phone shop I would ask what the customer would like to use his phone for and not push some phone down his throat he doesn't necessarily need.

What I have learned from the N9, you know things that would matter for example to my wife are:

- screen is big enough but not too big
- there are different colours available
- it doesn't matter if it get's squeezed in her bag
- not too many moving parts/functions (visible)
- she can see social network updates easily
- she doesn't get lost/forget with programs running on background
- she can share photos and video directly from camera/gallery to facebook
- it looks nice
- (sports tracker would be nice)

everything else is bonus.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Arpa For This Useful Post:

Tags
duke nukem4eva, epic!, harmattan, n-950, nokia diamond, non-believers, rm680, wasteland