Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Lebanon,Beirut
hello i have a question about reflashing the N900:

my N900 has a broken emmc so i configured it to use the swap from the sd card using swapon (been working on it for 6 months)

my question is can i reflash the emmc? or will it give me an error and i will end up with a dead phone???

the reason for the reflash is to fix the IM application because for a reason it stopped working!

I have Windows 7 32 Bit so will the flasher work on it?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, if done properly, it should work.

i don't prefer you do that because my phone is dead after flashing it and nokia (the phone provider) said that its not fixable

Take care about that....!!!!

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by dragon79 View Post
i don't prefer you do that because my phone is dead after flashing it and nokia (the phone provider) said that its not fixable

Take care about that....!!!!
No matter how many exclamation points you use, thousands of users have flashed their emmcs and I haven't seen one believable claim that flashing made their N900s unusable.

I would happily buy your N900 but I have a feeling Nokia has it.

I worked in computer tech support for more than eight years and I know for a fact that techs often say that devices are not fixable when they are. They can only spend so much time on a problem and many factors make them give up unnecessarily.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
hey geneven i work in computer field for more that 10 years and now i work in ISP NOC so we share the same knowledge about these things.

I know that something got wrong in N900 by flashing it because the N900 EEPROM seems to be damaged by flashing it many times.
also if you look at the problem closely you will find that nokia cant replace this IC or recover it, because of that if the device has warranty they will just replace it as per many users had.

how is that related to my problem :S

i have a non working emmc (internal memory is abscent)

i am just asking if i can reflash the emmc or I just reflash the software...?

ya seede take care when your flashing your N900 la7san yenteze3

Originally Posted by gng554 View Post
how is that related to my problem :S

i have a non working emmc (internal memory is abscent)

i am just asking if i can reflash the emmc or I just reflash the software...?
Hi gng, listen, I'm in the same boat and have lost access to my emmc. I have, just as you did, set my phone in to nokia repair. They unfortunately sent my phone back unrepaired.

Did the method for installing maemo to the microsd work for you?

Anyways, I am waiting for my phone from ups now... says it will be delivered today. I am going to try and reflash again (maybe they did some magic at the repair facility?)

If that doesn't work then ill try the micro sd method.

If that doesn't work to my liking (performance wise) I will take the plunge and try the heat gun station method. What else do I have to lose?

@lordnibbla:

well all i did is that i setup the swap on the sd card with the method given by Durango from that thread...the phone works fine but i do not have enough memory (about 10 mb remaining) so i cannot install alot of applications

and nokia care will do nothing but flashing the phone, if you have no warranty they will tell you that the phone cannot be fixed =\ that is what they told me!

Yeah, my phone was still under warranty when I sent it in, but they claimed water damage.... pfff whatever.