Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by CLRS530 View Post
What is the point in this wireless.
Mostly a gimmick, although it has some practical benefits. Imagine a wireless pad on your desk at home/work: you just drop the phone there when you come and pick it up as you leave, without having to fuff around with connectors. For devices like N900, it is even more useful because it releaves the stress on the weak USB connector.

Other than that though, you are right. It does not save the number of cables or the space on the desk. Quite the opposite in fact.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Slightly offtopic question:
What is the point in this wireless.
Convenience.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 80 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ London, UK
Slightly offtopic question:
What is the point in this wireless. I really miss the benefit since this technology comes up some years ago.
Isn't this only marketing or a fun gadget?

For jolla early days this is surely some cool stuff to easily test TOH capabilities.
+1

I understand efficiently drops somewhat and additional heat is produced, not especially liked by lithium-ions.

Although I do like the idea and will probably buy one, too cool! =)

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I have one of these for my Nexus 7 2013, works a treat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiofGwT6LWw

Pick up, put down - that's how I charge my tablet. No cables lying around the place, or fiddling with tiny connectors. Would love to be able to do likewise with my Jolla, hope to one day.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Convenience.
plug in/out one simple cable?

But that can be endless discussed I guess. Enough offtopic.

Last edited by CLRS530; 2014-01-11 at 23:07.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
One could also argue that with wireless charge you avoid the mechanical stress on the connector when (un)plugging the USB charger (although micro-B type is rated for 10000 insertion cycles) and several risks associated with that.
But I also vote for lazyne^Wconvenience

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
The socket may physically withstand the insertion cycles but unless mechanically mounted with through hole soldered pins to take the physical stress of insertion then it will suffer the same fate as the surface only mounted socket in the N900 and part company from the PCB traces.

I flattened the two friction spikes on the plug to make it an easier loose fit in my N900 so if I tripped over the cable it would not rip the socket off the circuit board.

Hopefully those that have disassembled their Jollas may be able to tell us the method used to secure the socket to the PCB.

Richard

Posts: 231 | Thanked: 143 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Tallinn, Estonia
I already bought two Touchstone chargers and also oredered some copper tape.

However, where did you buy Palm wireless receivers? Only ones I can find on the e-bay are very expensive. For example this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-OEM-...item45fcfc9ad3 is 10,39 USD + 14,98 USD for shipping to Estonia. I would have been probably better off by ordering a set of charger + receiver but it is bit too late already for that...

EDITED: bought two of these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Orig...item51aaf55916

Last edited by Silwer; 2014-01-12 at 16:23.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 2,744 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Espoo, Finland
My version of wireless charging TOH. S4 Receiver.

Ripped off the plastic sheet from receiver backside, which revealed circuitry and enough 2-sided tape to attach to the OH.

Charger also modified so that the transmit coil matches location of receiver.
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kimmoli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
Anyone know if this could be used with the Jollas The Other Half?

Maybe the Galaxy patch?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...reless-charger

Last edited by Boxeri; 2014-01-21 at 10:59.