Active Topics

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Or did I miss something? I just got my N800 back (actually, Nokia gave me a new one, so bye bye screen protector) and I immediately flashed it with the latest Diablo image.

But my N800 won't recognize any of my SD cards anymore. I tried several 8GB SDHC Sandisk cards, a 4GB non-HC card and a "normal" 1 GB SD card. None of them shows up in the file manager, no matter in what slot I put them. I tried the old 64 MB card from my 770, and that one shows up as "corrupt or unformatted".

My previous N800 would recognize all of these cards with Diablo, so I'm stumped. Did the knuckeheads at Nokia give me a faulty replacement unit?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Edit: I'm now pretty much convinced I've been slipped a dud by Nokia. The device will not recongnize any SD card in any slot, whatever its size and regardless of whether it's SD or SDHC.

RS-MMC cards, when inserted, are recognized, but as "corrupted or unformatted" cards. File Manager cannot repair those cards (the fact notwithstanding that they came out of a Nokia 770 and functioned flawlessly in that device) and if I try to reformat them in the N800, I end up with an almost unusable card (I have one USB card reader that will accept anything, fortunately, or I would have lost the card).

I tried a downgrade to Diablo 2008.36.5, with exactly the same result, so I'm pretty much convinced it's hardware. So it's back to the shop, and back on the waiting game. Another fine example of Nokia's great quality control, I guess. All this wouldn't be so bad if my old 770 hadn't decided to WSOD on me last week, which means that my current cutting edge portable Internet device is -- godshelpme! -- an Archos PMA430!!!

Well, I'm going to send this dud back, but I'm very much hoping now that I'll see my Pandora before Nokia sends me a new one. This is beyond silly...

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 34 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ the Lower Rainland
I've been experiencing something similar to that if I boot to flash, the internal and external cards are listed as corrupt. But if i boot to any of the partitions on my cards then everything is fine. I'm hoping that this will be corrected soon because this is very annoying.

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Does another computer recognize the cards when the n800 is connected to it via USB?

Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Does another computer recognize the cards when the n800 is connected to it via USB?
I knew I'd forgotten to try something! Too late now, it's going back.

That sounds like a bummer. But did you seriously expect them to peel off the screenprotector and put it on the replacement? An experienced gadgeteer like you should've known.

Originally Posted by iamthewalrus View Post
That sounds like a bummer. But did you seriously expect them to peel off the screenprotector and put it on the replacement? An experienced gadgeteer like you should've known.
From experience I already knew that these protectors, although advertized as such, are not really removable to the extent that they can be used again flawlessly. OTOH, that protector had been on my N800 for nigh on two years and I have two spares lying around, so the loss is not substantial.

The gripping hand? From what I gathered, my N800's problem was a simple fuse burnout, easy to fix in the right workshop (which I obviously lack), so I gathered Nokia would either replace the fuse or just replace the motherboard. After all, they're supposed to be "green" these days and recycle even their sweatshop sweat. They certainly had more than enough time to repair instead of replace.

I'm just waiting to see how the next replacement will be f**ked up...

lol. *shakes head* This is why I'm still running Chinook 51-3. Man, I really hope they start fixing these issues. I enjoy the n810, but these issues are starting to annoy me.

IDGI, you're running Chinook because Nokia sends out broken hardware for replacements?

I'm not seeing any issue here related to Chinook vs. Diablo, and AFAIK all regressions have been fixed now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
IDGI, you're running Chinook because Nokia sends out broken hardware for replacements?

I'm not seeing any issue here related to Chinook vs. Diablo, and AFAIK all regressions have been fixed now.
In fairness, I don't KNOW if my replacement had a hardware issue. The SD recognition failure occurred on two instances of Diablo and I really wasn't in the mood to do more free R&D for Nokia before I dumped it back on the counter.