Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
So I bought a Plantronics Backbeat 903 BT stereo headset to go with my Nokia N900. I am very disappointed though because there's a serious problem with music playback: the tone keeps changing (going down mostly, sometimes also up), like when a record is being played more and more slowly, and it really ruins the music for me. This phenomenon has nothing to do with batteries (headset or device) being low, it also occurs when both are fully charged. So I'm wondering, is Bluetooth technology in general simply not ready yet for serious music streaming, or one of my devices is just not working properly?

Has anyone else experienced the same thing with stereo BT headset?

Has anyone successfully used a specific BT stereo headset (full music- and call-controls, good sound quality) with the N900?

Recommendations?

Thanks, Ben

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
The Nokia BH-505 works nicely (all controls work as expected). Sound is OK, the bass is a bit too heavy though.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
The Nokia BH-505 works nicely (all controls work as expected). Sound is OK, the bass is a bit too heavy though.
So, the sound is, like, stable? Not dropping in tone? Because that's pretty much all I need, I'm actually not that particular about the sound quality...
How about noise from outside though? E.g when you're in a subway station and the train comes in, does the music volume go louder than the noise?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
So, the sound is, like, stable? Not dropping in tone?
No fluctuations that I can pickup. I use it with both my N900 and E71 and have no problems.

How about noise from outside though? E.g when you're in a subway station and the train comes in, does the music volume go louder than the noise?
That depends on how good the ear buds fit your ears. It comes with 6 different sizes/shapes so you should be able to find a pair that suits you.

The Following User Says Thank You to kureyon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Netherlands, The
I recently bought the bh-505 as well, and read enough reviews before (all very positive). All functions work and sound quality is good. Enough plugs to suit your ears. Pairing both with n900 and laptop also works.

I looked for price and quality and this one is perfect.
Review: http://mynokiablog.com/2010/05/13/re...adset-evaaarr/

The Following User Says Thank You to Baaart For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
Has anyone tried the Motorola S10-HD with the N900?

I am leaning toward the Nokia BH-905, but it requires a charger different from the phone. The S10-HD uses a micro USB charger like the N900.

My current evaluations while looking for a bluetooth stereo earbud-type headset w/call (integrated microphone) capability:

Nokia BH-905: Good specs except for requiring a different charger than the phone, wish I could find it in black

Nokia BH-214: Appealing except for reports that the microphone is poorly isolated from noise & callers have trouble because of wind noise, etc.

Jabra Clipper: reports that range is too poor to have reliable connection when phone is in trouser pocket or backpack

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by rotoflex View Post
Has anyone tried the Motorola S10-HD with the N900?<SNIP>
Dude, that's one of the biggest necro posts I've seen in a while. Not cool.

I did "lots" of research on all this a while back, & came to the conclusion that.
The best out there SQ-wise, if you also need it to be quite sturdy, is the MM100.*
It may have a slightly different name now, but it should def. be on your short-list.
The mic isn't the best, only "acceptable", but SQ is very good for BT portable.

Sennheiser, it's supra-aural form-factor, muffles outside noise a bit, but is mostly open.
A good thing, esp. if you're exercising in public spaces...
Doesn't leech heaps of noise either, if you had it to max in a bus it may annoy others.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-26 at 09:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
I like Sennheiser's stuff, but the MM 100 is a full ear headphone, not an earbud-type like I'm looking for casual use.

If I wanted the appearance & motion drawbacks of full ear, I'd probably just put the mike boom on my Koss 4AA's & go wired.

One of the drawbacks for me of the BH-905 is that I'm not a fan of the head clamp type for casual earphones. It's just a little "I wish I was on Star Trek" for me, but I'm weighting that less because the microphone performance of the BH-214 could be unsatisfactory.

The BH-214's small storage size is a plus for it also.

Last edited by rotoflex; 2012-01-26 at 10:00.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
^see modded post, it's supra-aural, not circum-aural or the other form-factors.
It's comfortable (once you work-out exactly how to wear it), just as good as buds in that regard.
Anyhoo, I'm unsubscribing now, best to start a new thread, good luck!

*EDIT*
If I wanted the appearance & motion drawbacks of full ear
No idea what this means There's no appearance & motion drawbacks.
I've used it for jogging & sprinting heaps, sits perfectly stable...
Appearance-wise looks fine, but if you're someone who's likely to be self-conscious, then maybe not.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-01-26 at 10:10.

jalyst, honestly, I have no idea why You criticize for writing in appropriate thread (even if last post was written long ago). It's not closed topic, new headsets arrive every month, so?

I see no use for another thread of same content, so, please rotoflex, write about Your findings here.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!