Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Did this thread fizzle out into nothing? Did ccooke ever come back from work? :-)

(My understanding of /opt according to Linux Filesystem Hierarchy: nothing to discuss, all apps should have gone into /opt from the beginning, we should never even have started to put things in rootfs... bad habit from older Maemo?)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany
Is it possible to use parts of the script at installation of packages? so that debian-packages could be installed on the 2gb-partition and symlinks automatically created on the 256mb-partition during installation? i think symlinks are the only solution for the problem with the small root-partition, without changing logical structure of the system (remove files for booting from /usr and move/symlink /usr to 2gb-partition) or bootloader configuration (to boot from 2gb-partition).

Posts: 276 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Frankfurt, Germany

Posts: 515 | Thanked: 266 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oelsted, Denmark
subversion in -devel isn't optified...

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
While in the process of moving some packages with the script, I'm wondering what is going to happen when one of them is to be updated by the application manager (or apt-get).

It is going to install its new files in their pristine position, on the root filesystem, overwriting the links, and leaving parts of the old packages on /opt? Shall it get me into trouble? What am I going to do with those remnants on /opt?

Or I better undo optification of packages before I update the packages?

Thanks for your responses.

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-12-27 at 09:02.

on my N900

:command not found
'kgscan : line 9:syntax error near unexpected token `{
'kgscan : line 9: `{

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
While in the process of moving some packages with the script, I'm wondering what is going to happen when one of them is to be updated by the application manager (or apt-get).

It is going to install its new files in their pristine position, on the root filesystem, overwriting the links, and leaving parts of the old packages on /opt? Shall it get me into trouble? What am I going to do with those remnants on /opt?

I've been thinking about the same thing. If the updated package still isn't optified it will overwrite the links I believe. If it is optified it won't be a problem AFAIK. That would create links to the new files (in /opt) overwriting the old links AND files.

Originally Posted by soramimi View Post
on my N900

'kgscan : line 9:syntax error near unexpected token `{
'kgscan : line 9: `{
First of all shouldn't the name of the script have been pkgscan...?

When i downloaded the script by using the download function on pastebin the file had WinBlows newlines (^M) in it, so first I tried a search and replace in vi but that didn't work (%s/^M//g), so I ended up copy/pasting from the site instead.

I've attached the script. unpack with tar -xf pkgscan.sh.tar... The script is called pkgscan.sh because it's a shell script.
Attached Files
File Type: tar pkgscan.sh.tar (6.5 KB, 2153 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrWilken For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post

Hi, I've seen too that an update or uninstall only updates the symlinks and leaves all files in /opt/relocated/.

In order to keep things clean I've done an "undo", then apt-get --purge remove of all the applications originally relocated, then apt-get autoremove (since there were some remanents) and re-installed those apps.

IMHO, people not really familiar with gnu/linux should stay away from this script for many reasons already mentioned plus that if one relocates an app already optified the "undo" will un-optify it. That is, the undo function is not a real undo.

Hope it helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by DrWilken View Post
When i downloaded the script by using the download function on pastebin the file had WinBlows newlines (^M) in it....
Yes that's the problem. I changed from CR/LF newlines to LF only newlines in Scite, from easy debian.

Tags
n800, n810, n900, optification, optifying, rootfs