Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
That very thorough preview that came out a couple months ago addressed the lock times with and w/o AGPS. If you don't have access to the Nokia server, it takes a long time (minutes vs seconds). AFAIK, nothing has been changed nor is likely to be on that front. There's a bug report about similar problems (i believe on N810) and it sounded like there was a problem with caching data. Anyway, there are a few threads on here discussing that particular aspect of navigation, and you can read through the bug tracker comments for more info.

It's the mapping/navigation software that's a moving target. Ovi sounds like it will be a big disappointment in N900 edition. I'm curious to hear peoples' experiences with the other options.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Originally Posted by pagesix1536 View Post
It REQUIRES a data connection? What kind of GPS is this? I have an 8 year old Garmin GPS that is not a phone and has no data connection and it works just fine as a GPS. And it gets a satellite lock typically before I can back the car out of the driveway.

I don't agree with this statement, until I can see it for myself or someone else can comment otherwise.

It's a bug https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337 and hopefully it gets fixed.

Personally it hasn't bothered me because N900 is a cell phone and there's coverage everywhere I go.

Originally Posted by MountainX View Post
I already posted somewhere else a couple reviews that show the Google turn-by-turn navigation on the Droid is far from perfect. I just want something about equal on the N900. It doesn't have to be perfect at all because navigation on the Droid isn't perfect. But it's a whole lot better than on the N810.
I know there was talk of Nokia adding spoken turn-by-turn directions before the final release. This didn't happen. You can get directions (either by searching for a location, or by panning the map to a location that you want to go to). It will show you the route on the map or give you a list of turns to review on the screen. Also, when you're looking at the route on the map you can click a little button that says "Track me," which causes the map view to follow your GPS location and rotate corresponding to the direction you're traveling. That's it.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I've been using it for a while now and I still find the UI for the maps application confusing.

Google maps is technically possible in the browser, but you have to use the pointer/selection mode to pan and zoom the map. It gets kind of slow and frustrating.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
Ok, I have to ask...why the hell would anyone let a 2 year old play with their N810?

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
It will show you the route on the map or give you a list of turns to review on the screen. Also, when you're looking at the route on the map you can click a little button that says "Track me," which causes the map view to follow your GPS location and rotate corresponding to the direction you're traveling. That's it.
OK.

Originally Posted by kyle View Post
Google maps is technically possible in the browser, but you have to use the pointer/selection mode to pan and zoom the map. It gets kind of slow and frustrating.
This might be better:
http://tomch.com/maemaps.html

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
See here:

http://nokiaexperts.com/tips-shortcu...00-user-guide/

If it's correct, you do not need data connection as you can store the maps on the phone like other Nokia S60 devices.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
It's a bug https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5337 and hopefully it gets fixed.

Personally it hasn't bothered me because N900 is a cell phone and there's coverage everywhere I go.
I voted for the bug.

What is not clear to me is whether any cellular connection (e.g., voice) is sufficient to work around the bug -- or whether a data connection is required. I would guess it needs a data connection. That's a problem for me because I plan to use my N900 with only WiFi and a T-mobile prepaid voice plan -- no 3g atm. So maybe the GPS won't work at all for me (unless this bug is fixed)??? That would be bad.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

This might be better:
So much better! Thanks.

OK.

This might be better:
I notice that this is a completely stand-alone html page with the needed javascript embedded (with the exception of the remote call to google). So, you don't necessarily need to run it from the web site...it works fine locally (at least on my desktop....still waiting on my n900 to test but I can't imagine it not working the same way especially with Fennec).

Earlier Android phones — the T-Mobile G1 and MyTouch 3G — have already been hacked to support Google Maps Navigation, which is supposed to be a Droid-exclusive feature. Thanks to the folks at the XDA Developer forums, all that G1 or MyTouch owners have to do is reinstall an updated version of Google Maps and change configuration settings.
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...zon-droid-mod/

Can this be done for the N900? What's involved?

Tags
gps, n900, navigation