I wanted to let those interested know that OWA works on the 770. The problem is the implementation of the opera browser. I confirmed this by installing the mozilla browser.

I could not find the installation files on the wiki, but I did eventually find the files in the correct (.deb??) form at the following url: http://gnuite.com:8080/nokia770/manaos. These files did install onto the 770, and I was able to load OWA properly, which is great.

The problem is that the mozzila browser is MUCH MUCH MUCH slower than the opera browser that comes on the 770. Could this severe lag problem be helped by the swap file thing I have read about on this forum? (I am almost hoping the answer is no, because then I will need to hire a linux expert to do that to my card).

Also, as someone unaccustomed to how these forums, etc. work, I would have expected the files in the form that a total knucklehead like me can install, run and use to be easily asscessible if they exist. Shouldn't these files be in the wiki program list rather than the ones that are there now and don't even install onto the 770 without a phd in linux programing?

If the 770 is going to succeed, people like me need to be able to use it. IF it is not reasonably simple, Nokia will lose money on it.

My outlook web access worked out of the box on the 770. I think it's the various different implementations of the web access that cause it to work for some but not others.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Yeah, I've seen at least 3 different versions of OWA, depending on the version of Exchange installed.

Swap won't *ever* speed anything up (speed of MMC << speed of RAM), just allow stuff to do "more" by having more stuff in memory.

Very interesting. I never had any trouble acessing Outlook Web from the 770. I have the latest update from last December. What problems are you all running into?

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
The OWA I've currently got access to looks like a very old version, something like this:

I dunno much about OWA: whether it's a separate upgradeable component, or tied to the Exchange server version.

It only works in IE. Perhaps the later versions are more standards-compliant (they couldn't be any worse, really).

Cheers,

Andrew

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by aflegg
The OWA I've currently got access to looks like a very old version,
Yep - looks like Ex5.5 or even older!
Originally Posted by aflegg
I dunno much about OWA: whether it's a separate upgradeable component, or tied to the Exchange server version.
It's pretty much tied to the Exchange version, which is why Ex5.5 to Ex2k3 is such a jump for users as /well/ as admins (the shift to AD accounts, etc ...)

Cheers,
Jonathan