Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
The assumption is that everyone should immediately learn to solder and buy the correct equipment.

The assumption is that You should keep back from posting, unless You really have something to say (worthy for others, I might add).
---

I could solder it, if 2-way shipping cost to Poland isn't overkill for You.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Thanks for the offer.
However I have no confidence at all on the post office. Lost too many things already and n900 is becoming way too precious.

But maybe I'll visit Poland soon ?

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
The assumption is that You should keep back from posting, unless You really have something to say (worthy for others, I might add).
---

/Estel
I'm sorry that you found my very brief comment so reprehensible that you thought it was worth posting a longer comment criticizing me for making it.

And by the way: I made the comment hoping that someone would start a for-fee service preemptively fixing USB ports.

And also by the way -- the fix that I have recommended literally for years, using an external battey charger, should make the port problem much less frequent. After all, if you cut the use the port gets by 100, this should limit wear. I have had no signs of the port problem, presumably because I rarely use the port, though I have been using my N900 extensively every day for years.

Last edited by geneven; 2012-03-08 at 03:42.

...And You've been answered literally for years, that using external charger permits usage of charging chip (not to mention keeping it constantly uncalibrated), so no real info on battery capacity, nor usable prediction of "how much power left".

Also, breaking port seems to be so random and device-dependent (some have very strong default port-to-shield connection, some almost non-existant), that "limiting" wear by charging externally seems more like wishful thinking, than real counter-measure.

Also, it's not an option for hostmode users. Not to mention, that Soldering port to shield is quite easy process, and if someone can't do that, it's still possible to use good 2-part epoxy, which should be achievable for literally everyone.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
And by the way: I made the comment hoping that someone would start a for-fee service preemptively fixing USB ports.

And also by the way -- the fix that I have recommended literally for years, using an external battey charger, should make the port problem much less frequent. After all, if you cut the use the port gets by 100, this should limit wear. I have had no signs of the port problem, presumably because I rarely use the port, though I have been using my N900 extensively every day for years.
Gotta say, that was not what i was reading, i read you like "Don't waste your money or "warranty" getting soldering equipment or getting anybody to do it", maybe next time you should write a bit longer instead.

And on the battery "charge left" i have been charging my N900 via the external charge port that i made, and have been doing this for almost 2 years now, never having any problems.

Last edited by dr_frost_dk; 2012-03-08 at 09:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Gotta say, that was not what i was reading, i read you like "Don't waste your money or "warranty" getting soldering equipment or getting anybody to do it", maybe next time you should write a bit longer instead.
Maybe you should read a bit longer before jumping to that conclusion. I have referred to you in writing as "a hero of this site" and would not dismiss anything you said so quickly.

I have suggested before, in writing, that someone start a preventive usb damage service, and unfortunately no one took up the idea.

But I bet that a poll would show that most users on this tech site are IGNORING your suggestion because they aren't comfortable with the soldering solution for some reason. (I haven't taken such a poll and am just guessing about its results.)

On another subject: Estel seems to be sceptical about my external charger idea, seemingly saying that the evidence isn't very consistent, in prose that I found rather garbled.

Some ideas don't really need much evidence. Let's do a brief thought-experiment: If no one EVER used their usb ports EVER, who thinks that just as many usb ports would be damaged? I guess that zero people think that.

Which is a pretty good indicator that anything that results in less usb port usage would probably result in less usb ports damaged.

The BEST solution for us girly-men who don't want to solder would be for someone to announce a reasonably priced commercial way to have someone else do it. (someone in the US for me!)

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Yes not using the USB will of course prolong the life of it, even way beyond the device fails in some other way, burnt CPU etc..., and i would like for some of the "tech" guys to step up and offer this fix around the world.

so far i have no problem fixing this for my fellow maemo users in the Euro zone, this also apply for Estel, if i where located in the US i would gladly fix your N900.
Also the price for this should be low, it is very simple to do, i can do it in less then 1 hour, and i want our N900 to live on, still can't see anything that can replace it still, yes there are MUCH more powerful devices but without a open "full" linux they are useless to me.

Estel, what about i add to post #1 that users can contact me and you to get their N900 fixed inside EU.

It should be common knowledge that it is best to keep it inside "boarders" to avoid having to get in to a dispute with customs, a follow note should hopefully explain everything.

and sorry for the quick conclusion.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Estel, what about i add to post #1 that users can contact me and you to get their N900 fixed inside EU.
No problem for me, as far as usual warnings apply (i.e. that we're doing it in spare time, so no guarantee - We're fully convinced that soldering process is 100% safe, yet no guarantee of device usability after "operation" - everything on risk of user, including fail of postage services etc.)

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-