Active Topics

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2016 @ France
Hi folks,

So, I'm saying hi for the first time. In addition to my Symbian N8 & 808, I've got an N900, a Jolla Phone, and recently picked up an N9 which I expect will replace my Jolla as my daily device. Debian is my OS of choice for my mid-2009 MacBook Pro and my Nokia Booklet 3G netbook.

Details if you're interested...

I've had a N900 since 2013, which I used during the winter in Kyiv, Ukraine, for its resistive screen that allowed me to answer calls without pulling off my gloves like I had to on my N8. Plus I loved the Skype integration for for saving money while calling France to keep in touch with my girlfriend (who's now my wife). But my SIM mostly lived in my N8 when the weather was warmer just because of its camera. I've never been a heavy app user, preferring the classic idea of smartphones as converged hardware devices, not just small touchscreen computers.

Late 2014 I picked up a white Nokia 808 for the camera and the fastest Symbian experience. Loved the camera, but May 2015 the usb charger port quit charging, at the beginning of a summer of massive transitions, moving between states, then a trans-Atlantic move, helping my wife in her pregnangy, and with my N8 battery no longer getting me through a full day, I pulled out my N900 and its spare battery. I used my N900 daily for most of the summer and early autumn, until my Jolla Phone arrived.

I've used my Jolla daily since October 2015, though my N900's often in my bag as I'm learning French, and I find the Verbiste conjugation app indispensable. I've enjoyed using an OS that's being actively developed (and runs the two Android apps I need to use), but I'm disappointed with the Jolla phone's camera, and I missed the thinner phone-sized width of the N900, N8, and 808, wanted a better camera, and will need a phone with North American 3G bands, so I sold three older Symbian and S40 phones on ebay and bought a white 64 gb N9 here in the talk forums.

So far I love the N9. There are a few issues I need to learn about, but its got incredible hardware and a beautiful OS. I'll post my questions elsewhere. I enjoyed my Jolla, but it felt more like a tiny tablet than a smartphone.

Thanks to all three of you who read my whole post. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jkepler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jkepler View Post
Hi folks,

So, I'm saying hi for the first time. In addition to my Symbian N8 & 808, I've got an N900, a Jolla Phone, and recently picked up an N9 which I expect will replace my Jolla as my daily device. Debian is my OS of choice for my mid-2009 MacBook Pro and my Nokia Booklet 3G netbook.

Details if you're interested...

I've had a N900 since 2013, which I used during the winter in Kyiv, Ukraine, for its resistive screen that allowed me to answer calls without pulling off my gloves like I had to on my N8. Plus I loved the Skype integration for for saving money while calling France to keep in touch with my girlfriend (who's now my wife). But my SIM mostly lived in my N8 when the weather was warmer just because of its camera. I've never been a heavy app user, preferring the classic idea of smartphones as converged hardware devices, not just small touchscreen computers.

Late 2014 I picked up a white Nokia 808 for the camera and the fastest Symbian experience. Loved the camera, but May 2015 the usb charger port quit charging, at the beginning of a summer of massive transitions, moving between states, then a trans-Atlantic move, helping my wife in her pregnangy, and with my N8 battery no longer getting me through a full day, I pulled out my N900 and its spare battery. I used my N900 daily for most of the summer and early autumn, until my Jolla Phone arrived.

I've used my Jolla daily since October 2015, though my N900's often in my bag as I'm learning French, and I find the Verbiste conjugation app indispensable. I've enjoyed using an OS that's being actively developed (and runs the two Android apps I need to use), but I'm disappointed with the Jolla phone's camera, and I missed the thinner phone-sized width of the N900, N8, and 808, wanted a better camera, and will need a phone with North American 3G bands, so I sold three older Symbian and S40 phones on ebay and bought a white 64 gb N9 here in the talk forums.

So far I love the N9. There are a few issues I need to learn about, but its got incredible hardware and a beautiful OS. I'll post my questions elsewhere. I enjoyed my Jolla, but it felt more like a tiny tablet than a smartphone.

Thanks to all three of you who read my whole post. I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Wasss App!?!

And welcome.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Married thanks to an N900, how romantic! I love it.
Welcome to our little club, my friend. You will feel right at home. At least I hope so

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Hi. If i ever get divorced, it will probably be due to some device running Linux. Or maybe rather due to some device that stubbornly refuses to run Linux.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Hi Everybody,
I am Madhusudan Jadhav. I am from India.
Just to say Hello to everybody.
Thanks....

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to madhusudanjadhav79 For This Useful Post:
hello every one. How are you.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taylor4581 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Mar 2016 @ Germany
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hello. 4 years ago I bought an N9 and was very happy with it. This forum has provided great help since then. Luckily I was one of the first donors at the Indiegogo campaign and received my Jolla Tablet within the first batch.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sebastian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Mar 2016 @ Germany
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm new to this forum and wanted to say hello. 4 years ago I bought an N9 and was very happy with it. This forum has provided great help since then. Luckily I was one of the first donors at the Indiegogo campaign and received my Jolla Tablet within the first batch.
I live in Marburg, Germany and if anybody wants to meet for a beer PM me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sebastian For This Useful Post:
Hi everyone,
i have been lurking about for years here and finally decided to create an account.

i always liked to tinker with electronic stuff, had my first personal computer age 12 (IBM compatible with Intel 80286 Turbo 16Mhz)
and still work in Information Technology (though now as a technical Sales)

currently running an One Plus Two as my daily driver, but have a black N9 64GB as well with my secondary number, and a Xiaomi Redmi 1s running LiteW's nice port of SailfishOS.

the N9 takes the cake when it comes to the UI, it "just makes sense".
i have been using Android for years now, but i am just not interested anymore,
hope to stick around and get my N9 / Sailfish fix here

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to linr76 For This Useful Post:
Hello again!

After 3 years I just bought a used N900 in a very good condition and start to learn everything again from scratch

As I see many things have changed - especially with the repos.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fw190 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada boom, bada rox, hotelcalifornia, new users, newbie, newmo!, w2tmo, welcome to maemo.org