Posts: 296 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Manchester
I'll start off by saying that the n900 is a great phone and probably the best out in the market at the moment.

However the claims the producers made about the n900 having "the mighty maemo browser" making it capable to display all web pages in their full glory is somewhat false.

I've had the n900 since wednesday now, and tried out many sites for e.g. youtube, myspace videos, ashes to ashes zombie cricket ,bbc iplayer, However the only website that plays decently is youtube, and this is in low quality as well; i've just had an iphone and the youtube & bbc iplayer streaming on that was unbeatable, displayed the video's in HQ. I was quite sad to find out the n900 only plays youtube in the crappy low quality format. And other video sites such as myspace videos, don't even play on the phone.

The truth is that i hope that these problems will be sorted in the next update. I would love to be able to watch bbc on the phone.

Hows about you try out other video sites and post a comment below,
try out: myspace video, veho,

Anyway other than that i've had no problems with the n900, no mic fault, no microsd faults, no dead pixels.

BTW - is there an msn client available anywhere?, and another email client? i have an ancient @msn.com account and i can't seem to get it set up on the n900.

N900 APP REVIEW SITE IS NOW LIVE
http://maemoappreviews.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Anwarboy11; 2009-12-17 at 16:27.

You do realise that both iPlayer and (as far as I know) Youtube are optimised for the iPhone, as are countless other sites? The N900 aims to access what a PC can, something that the iPhone cannot do.

Playing videos through the flash player is a bad idea, as there is the GPU is sitting idle while the CPU strains with the video. I'd expect iPlayer's 640x360 regular videos to play well, and I'd expect this will come with software in the next few months.

Originally Posted by Cadabena View Post
You do realise that both iPlayer and (as far as I know) Youtube are optimised for the iPhone, as are countless other sites? The N900 aims to access what a PC can, something that the iPhone cannot do.

Playing videos through the flash player is a bad idea, as there is the GPU is sitting idle while the CPU strains with the video. I'd expect iPlayer's 640x360 regular videos to play well, and I'd expect this will come with software in the next few months.
I really hope that we will get these features,
Need help contacting bbc iplayer producers, and ask them for some support for an official iplayer app

Originally Posted by Anwarboy11 View Post
I really hope that we will get these features,
Need help contacting bbc iplayer producers, and ask them for some support for an official iplayer app
bump....

Last edited by Anwarboy11; 2009-12-13 at 13:45.

bump agains...

Posts: 780 | Thanked: 855 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki, Finland
Don't bumpidy bump. There is native iPlayer and YouTube client in progress by the community

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joppu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joppu View Post
Don't bumpidy bump. There is native iPlayer and YouTube client in progress by the community
Any idea what it's called? is it in devel?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Anwarboy11 View Post
I'll start off by saying that the n900 is a great phone and probably the best out in the market at the moment.

However the claims the producers made about the n900 having "the mighty maemo browser" making it capable to display all web pages in their full glory is somewhat false.
--SNIP--
BTW - is there an msn client available anywhere?, and another email client? i have an ancient @msn.com account and i can't seem to get it set up on the n900.
The Maemo 5 Browser actually is quite good (and a huge improvement over Maemo 4's), and as was stated, it's a "real desktop browser" (based on Firefox 3.5, actually). What this means is that you don't have to use the dumbed-down "mobile" or "iPhone" pages; however, you have to keep in mind that it is still a phone, albeit a powerful one, and just as flash and other rich media content can sometimes bring an older computer to its knees, so can too much of that bog down your phone. That said, most sites I use work great, and furthermore you can theoretically change the browser's useragent string so that it will load iPhone-optimized pages if you really want them. (Note that I say theoretically - I'm not sure if there is an extension/option for that yet.) In the mean time, install the adblock extension, and that will help keep big banners from hogging resources.

In regards to your second question, yes, but it's third-party. Third-party in this case does not mean that it's a separate app, though; this is Maemo - it plugs right into the chat application. You have two choices: telepathy-butterfly (from extras or extras-testing), which is quite stable, and has good support, or telepathy-haze (currently not stable, and not recommended for use - it may work, or it may eat your hamster), which also includes plugins for AIM, Yahoo Chat, and several other networks. Once installed, you should be able to enter your MSN account details as you would for Jabber,Skype,etc. One note, though. As far as I can tell, telepathy-butterfly (and maybe haze - haven't tried it recently) do not support logins in multiple locations. What this means is that if you are like me, and leave your IM clients open when you go to school/work, and then you log in to MSN on your N900 while you're out, it will disconnect any other clients, and you'll have to go back home to log in there again. I am not completely certain that this is unavoidable, but it's been my experience.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jaem View Post
The Maemo 5 Browser actually is quite good (and a huge improvement over Maemo 4's), and as was stated, it's a "real desktop browser" (based on Firefox 3.5, actually). What this means is that you don't have to use the dumbed-down "mobile" or "iPhone" pages; however, you have to keep in mind that it is still a phone, albeit a powerful one, and just as flash and other rich media content can sometimes bring an older computer to its knees, so can too much of that bog down your phone. That said, most sites I use work great, and furthermore you can theoretically change the browser's useragent string so that it will load iPhone-optimized pages if you really want them. (Note that I say theoretically - I'm not sure if there is an extension/option for that yet.) In the mean time, install the adblock extension, and that will help keep big banners from hogging resources.

In regards to your second question, yes, but it's third-party. Third-party in this case does not mean that it's a separate app, though; this is Maemo - it plugs right into the chat application. You have two choices: telepathy-butterfly (from extras or extras-testing), which is quite stable, and has good support, or telepathy-haze (currently not stable, and not recommended for use - it may work, or it may eat your hamster), which also includes plugins for AIM, Yahoo Chat, and several other networks. Once installed, you should be able to enter your MSN account details as you would for Jabber,Skype,etc. One note, though. As far as I can tell, telepathy-butterfly (and maybe haze - haven't tried it recently) do not support logins in multiple locations. What this means is that if you are like me, and leave your IM clients open when you go to school/work, and then you log in to MSN on your N900 while you're out, it will disconnect any other clients, and you'll have to go back home to log in there again. I am not completely certain that this is unavoidable, but it's been my experience.
Thanks for telling me about the butterfly thing
Don't know if you mentioned, but do you know how i could set up my email address (**********@msn.com) on the n900's emial client?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
If it supports POP3 or IMAP, then just select "other" under "Service Provider", and enter the details. If Microsoft has been silly about that, then you're probably out of luck. If you're stuck, you could always open an account with Gmail, and set your MSN account to forward to it, and the Gmail account to spoof your MSN address. Kind of silly to have to do, but come on... who has MSN accounts anymore :P (kidding)

Tags
wgaf