Posts: 170 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Annapolis, MD, USA
I'm at my office at work, on XOHM, here in McLean, VA!

Internettablettalk.com folks- can we get a XOHM/WiMax forum?

Edit: Can't get past the activation screen, but I have about 75% Xohm signal and an IP address in zipcode 22102.

Edit2: To be activated, the account page should show the device and MAC address and say active under status, right? Nothing further required after I received a receipt in my Inbox confirming my purchase? Its great to pay, then not get the service, but thats what I get I suppose for not being in a supported area.

Last edited by rjzak; 2008-11-10 at 14:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjzak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 211 | Thanked: 61 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington, DC
I'd like to second that request. Many of us Nokia N810 WiMax folks would probably like a forum to discuss XOHM-specific issues or WiMax comparisons. I've can confirm XOHM signals in Baltimore (MD), Hanover (MD), Washington (DC), and Reston (VA).

I'm still in the midst of rebuilding mine after a crash yesterday, but I'll start reporting signal strengths and bandwidth if I can.

The Following User Says Thank You to promethh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by promethh View Post
I've can confirm XOHM signals in ... Washington (DC), and Reston (VA).
Of those not-yet-supported places, can you use the Internet connection after activating? I seem to have chucked $10 out the window.

I can now confirm:
* Washington, DC (20002)
* Reston, VA (20191)

I was connected to XOHM via my Nokia N810 WiMax at the Ebeneezers on 2nd Street. I lost my connection as I walked by the Securities & Exchange Commission towards Union Station, I walked into Union Station and upstairs to East St. Cafe. While seated and having lunch, I had a solid 2.2Mbps connection via XOHM.

XOHM might now say it's official, but it works. I'm able to use my internet connection after activating.

http://www.latheofdreams.com

It might be because XOHM isn't yet official, but I've been seeing 2.2Mbps to 3.019Mbps as my connection speeds with XOHM around Capitol Hill in Washington, DC.

What is the highest reported speed for downloads that Nokia N810 owners have reported?
* Fujitsu U810 (120GB, XPT/OSX) with Sprint 4G (WiMAX)
* http://www.latheofdreams.com

Is it possible I am missing something with the activation? My Xohm page shows my device and MAC address as having an active "product" (xohm for the day) yet the WiMax icon on the top bar flashes and I can't access any site other than xohm and cycling power to the device didn't work either.

The Following User Says Thank You to rjzak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Maryland
Over in Hanover at Arundel Mills Mall, saw 1.6Mbps. Considered a Non-Coverage area and indoors. Pretty nice.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andyschism For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
Is it possible I am missing something with the activation? My Xohm page shows my device and MAC address as having an active "product" (xohm for the day) yet the WiMax icon on the top bar flashes and I can't access any site other than xohm and cycling power to the device didn't work either.
That's exactly the same behavior as mine, and it appears to have everything to do with the official coverage area. If you drive up to Hanover or Baltimore, it will go solid and say "Connected to XOHM". If you stay in DC or NoVA, it will flash "WiMAX" but never display "Connected to XOHM"

The XOHM account shows the Nokia N810 WiMax activation with MAC address recorded for your account. You should still be able to surf to other sites (I can: I was hitting Google, Shockwave, WashingtonPost). I even hit speakeasy.net/speedtest from mine with the flashing WiMax connection.

If you want to make it official, do a day-trip up to Baltimore to lock the connection. I'm planning on doing the same later this week since I wanted to pick up some more XOHM gear from AndySchism and then grab dinner at the Inner Harbor.

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Originally Posted by rjzak View Post
Internettablettalk.com folks- can we get a XOHM/WiMax forum?
I found this site http://4gforums.com/ to have a good forum on everything relating to XOHM.

Wow!

http://4gforums.com/thread6713.html

I've been successfully using XOHM a bit in DC. Right now I'm sitting in Eastern Market and did a test on speedtest.net.

Ping: 184ms
Down: 10519
Up: 1450

I'm really pleased with those numbers, although the ping still seems rather long.
Whoa! ...Once it becomes official, I might be dumping my Verizon account and be solely a XOHM user with Skype! Keep my AT&T Wireless (3G) for when I go out of coverage?

Tags
n810 wimax, virginia, wimax, xohm