Notices

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
...I've found the N900 one of the easiest devices I've had as far as sync goes.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

The only issues I have with the built-in software is the lack of complex repeat editing (there's an app)...
Yeah, I think you may be referring to the application I wrote for that. I used it to get familiar with the calendar API so I could write more helpful GUI tools for the calendar DB.

I continue to try to make improvements to my Tasks editor. I am also eager to help maintain the usefulness of Maemo 5 as a PIM device with any suggestions.

In fact, I think i discovered a bug in syncevolution for tasks regarding status codes. I need to reach out to the developer for that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
So what are the next steps here? I personally do not use calendar sync. What features would be most helpful?

One of the biggest issues with calendar-ui is that it is closed source.

For exposing categories, I could write a GUI that lists events similar to my repeating rules editor and then that would be one step to have those at one's disposal.

Is this worth doing?

The Following User Says Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
1700 events?! That's 4 to 5 events a day, every day, for a full year. With none of them repeating, since repeat events are generally stored as one event item. Maybe it's time to trim the database a bit, yes? Or maybe limit the scope of what's synced? Most sync apps can limit the sync to a specific time frame, say 2 weeks back and 14 months forward?
Read again. I specifically said that's what i have available in the _master_; NOT what i typically sync - that part is probably 10%.

And no, i did not came further along. syncevolution-gui doesn't provide you with the ability to change data stores and their local assignments, if you choose either generic DAV or Google templates. So i would again have to alter config settings manually, scooping through myriads of lines (most of them occupied by comments / commented-out stuff) in several config.ini files.

Btw: wtf, why are there now TWO folders containing stuff for a service, "nameblabla" and "nameblabla-target", stored in a context for DAV? Why does one config file contain "localhost@blabla" as the sync url? This configuration tree philosophy is a mess.

No thanks, i did this once for SyncML, which btw seems the only template / type of sync protocol where you actually have forms available for disabling / enabling partial sources in the GUI, and their sync behavior.

_No_ user should have to wade through this in order to sync different calendars to their respective local counterparts.

Maemo contacts / calendar DB format hin oder her, users should have the availability of a GUI which would enable one to just:

- provide server URL / service / port
- user / pass

(at least in the case of Cal/CardDAV)

then connects to the service and let you either easily link all remotely available stuff to your existing local datastores, or even set this up four you, in that it creates necessary local calendars etc.

In the current state of affairs, it's even worth for me evaluating switching to an Android "phone" as the daily driver in the end, because this PIM stuff affects me probably more than Android's lousy task / background process management.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-01-04 at 13:58.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Read again. I specifically said that's what i have available in the _master_; NOT what i typically sync - that part is probably 10%.
Some sync systems aren't smart enough to filter. If it's taking you minutes to sync, it may be it's syncing everything every time.

And no, i did not came further along.
What I was saying is that you're expecting a device that is now almost 3 years old to talk to another system based on a spec that was either not in existence, or was in it's infancy when the N900 came out. The fact that you can do that at all is really nice.

Most tablets and PDAs from a few years ago don't have any means of syncing with new services. Most only sync with system(s) the manufacturer setup to sync with, and half the time they don't even do that after a couple years. I have a couple of devices stuck on Cupcake that can no longer sync with anything. Cupcake was designed to sync pretty much with just Google, which has since changed how that all works, breaking Cupcake support. My options on that device? None.

On other systems, you have a take it or leave it system. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, at all, ever. Here, you can at least monkey with it and eventually maybe even get it to work. Complaining about how much effort you have to put in to customize something to fit exactly what you want sounds hollow when compared to the total lack of ability to do any tweaking at all on just about any other platform.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Let's try to be more productive here rather than keeping with the rant.

Help me understand what IS and what IS NOT working.
  • Does syncevolution CalDAV work at all? Not the GUI, but the backend?
  • If it DOES work, how WELL did it work?
  • What EXACTLY did you try (and screenshots, too) so that I can see what you mean. I have not used CalDAV before, only SyncML. I can test the same thing you are doing and thus feel your pain.

Maemo contacts / calendar DB format hin oder her, users should have the availability of a GUI which would enable one to just:

- provide server URL / service / port
- user / pass

(at least in the case of Cal/CardDAV)

then connects to the service and let you either easily link all remotely available stuff to your existing local datastores, or even set this up four you, in that it creates necessary local calendars etc.
This is productive feedback. If CalDAV works in the syncevolution backend, then a new GUI with limited scope that does what you want should be straightforward to write.

If the current syncevolution backend DOES WORK, then I offer my help to work with you to write a GUI that works in the way that makes more clear sense for you (and hopefully benefits other members here, too).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jackburton For This Useful Post:
So after some googling it appears that CalDAV is supported by syncevolution in the backend.

http://tanghus.net/2012/07/syncing-y...oud-an-update/

The next step I would like to take is to get you a working config and then a GUI can be written based on a *known* working configuration model.

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
If I ever get the time again I'd like to rebuild the built-in syncing to work seamlessly as I would expect - without annoying limitations like only supporting a single Activesync connection, for example. I hate having to use apps like syncevolution as bodges to work around the built-in stuff. I just want to have an item in the control panel that lets me add any number of sync profiles and just set their type.

...that and reimplementing the closed source UI bits of the address book and calendar so you can actually express the synced stuff properly!

One day. ...one day.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mr_jrt View Post
If I ever get the time again I'd like to rebuild the built-in syncing to work seamlessly as I would expect - without annoying limitations like only supporting a single Activesync connection, for example.
Did you write the stuff in Maemo OS for this as a Nokia developer?

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by jackburton View Post
Let's try to be more productive here rather than keeping with the rant.

Help me understand what IS and what IS NOT working.
I did; please refer to my PM (i never publish logs containing personal identifiable information in forums / in publicity).

PS: what i forgot: every sync item / datastore (calendar.xyz , note.xyz, task.xyz and so on) that is referenced in my sync config / the logs actually exists. I verified several times.

The Following User Says Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Thanks. I will play around with this as well and see if an alternative solution can be reached.