Notices

I have been using the following two programs that I am sure would be useful for many if not most folks. I am not a programmer, so can't port it but since both programs are written in (on?) QT, I presume it is possible to port them to maemo, right? Could somebody with know-how take a look at both.

Golden Dict (the stardict killer!, the perfect dictionary program under constant heavy development, the developer is amazing)

http://goldendict.berlios.de/

toMOTko (a flashcard application for Zaurus, Windows, Linux) I have been using this app on my Z for about three years now. I can't live without it. Learning words has not been easier.

http://tomotko.sourceforge.net/

The Following User Says Thank You to HOKIR For This Useful Post:
I'm working on goldendict

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
I'm working on goldendict
I am just curious, have you just started or you have already been working on it for a while? I wonder how known Golden Dict is in the community.

BTW, most of the discussion on the GoldenDict forum is in Russian; however, the developer is fluent in English. If you need help with the Russian text on that forum you can ask me.

Last edited by HOKIR; 2009-06-04 at 19:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HOKIR For This Useful Post:
This is the first time I heard of it

But it seems pretty cool and it appears to work even without any changes to source. I haven't tried it yet with the device though

It is cool. It does not have its own format; however it supports most of the existing popular formats (there are potentially more supported formats in the future, like XDXF, EPWING). This gives access to thousands of available dictionaries.

There are a bunch of features under the hood; however, you have to hunt for their description on the forum because there is no user documentation yet.

Last edited by HOKIR; 2009-06-04 at 20:07.

OK, GoldenDict is now in extras-devel. You can test it from there, just remember to disable extras-devel after installing goldendict.

It doesn't have any modifications. Post your comments here and maybe something (maemo related) can be improved.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
It works! N810 takes longer to index a large dictionary but once it's done it works like a charm (I have asked the developer if it is possible to preindex a dictionary on a desktop and then just copy the index file together with a dictionary; let's see what he says). Some of the windows are made for a larger screen but they are still usable.

Now, who would be willing to port toMOTko? It has a large collection of study lists (Japanese, etc.)

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Nagoya, Japan
Hi,

I'm the main developer of toMOTko. Unfortunately, I know nothing about Maemo. If I can help in anything in order to port the application to this system, I would be welcome to do so.

Could someone try to compile the application? You should use the qt4 branch of the code. It's available via svn here:

Code:
svn co https://tomotko.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tomotko/qt4/trunk tomotko
Tell me if it works or no, please.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FBergeron For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by HOKIR View Post
Golden Dict (the stardict killer!, the perfect dictionary program under constant heavy development, the developer is amazing)
What makes Golden Dict so much better than StarDict?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
The small interface font