Active Topics

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by puiradu View Post
Great Idea! Unfortunately your application makes the telephony almost unusable.
In barisione's defence, he did explain how a feature like this might slow down the time before the phone starts ringing at http://blog.barisione.org/2010-07/how-hard-can-it-be/, depending on how busy the device is.

I wonder if there's a way to un-nice of whatever phone processes there is while increasing the nice factor for the processes that are say... taking over 60% CPU load. That would likely make the phone app more responsive.

As it is right now, it seems to be treated as another application. And if your system is under load, it, like all other processes compete for the strained resources leading to a bunch of problems like missed phone calls, the UI being laggy, the race condition some people experience with custom ringtones.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-07-09 at 12:53.

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
In barisione's defense, he did explain how a feature like this might slow down the time before the phone starts ringing at http://blog.barisione.org/2010-07/how-hard-can-it-be/, depending on how busy the device is.
You don't have to defend the man! I'm not accusing him! He is the only who tried to do something! The concept is fine!

My primary concern is that the application, as it is, is unusable! Maybe there is another way... Maybe it can be improved....because I cant simply use my phone!

I deleted it already and I promise to test it again when another version will be available! For the moment I better throw my phone out than using it!

As I said on the blog you case should just be a normal bug and not the application not working in general.

[QUOTE=puiradu;745990]Hi!

Great Idea! Unfortunately your application makes the telephony almost unusable.

[...]

puiradu,

i had the same problem with my N900;
between the moment i pressed the call button on another phone (calling the nbr. of the N900) to the 1st ringtome sound i took nearly 20 secondes :-o :@
on a Nokia 1200 something it takes 7 / SEVEN seconds :X
my 1st reaction was to uninstall "Custom ringtones for your contacts"; no luck, still nearly 20 seconds :@
removed some pidgin plug-ins i had installed to be able to call GMail contacts (with VOIP);
nada
eventually i removed RECALLER, an app that can be set to automatically record any phone (or VOIP) conversation.
this improved things, but meanwhile i had switched from a custom AAC ringtome i had created on http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-aac to one of the N900's default ringtome
10 seconds :-(
not quite the 7 sec. on the 1200, but, hell, still better then 20 sec. right?
then, i switched the default ringtome back to my 30 seconds AAC file... now i'm nearly down to 7 seconds
and it stayed that way after i reinstalled Custom ringtones for your contacts" with three different ringtomes (a different default & 2 personal ones)

so, yep, if you get more then 15 sec before the phone starts ringing:
- make sure to use a small ACC sound file (mine are 450 to 500 KBs) a 3 MB MP3 may take a lot more time, yup
- check whether any application / addon may be delaying things
- reboot your N900 from time to time; it may be Linux, but it seems to be haunted by memory leaks :C

Last edited by misterc; 2010-08-20 at 16:55.

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
@misterc: I don't wanna disappoint you but with the latest version of custom ringtones the delay is by almost a second and the good thing is that the sound is heard instantly in the moment of the connection. Another thing is that I use mp3 ringtones (my main ringtone is an entire song).
If i uninstall the app the ringtone and the UI are perfect synchronized and are shown instantly in the moment of the connection with no delay!
Another thing: I have pidgin plugin installed but it don't seem to affect the ringtone. To be honest i don't see how could do it!
Good luck!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by puiradu View Post
@misterc: I don't wanna disappoint you but with the latest version of custom ringtones the delay is by almost a second and the good thing is that the sound is heard instantly in the moment of the connection. Another thing is that I use mp3 ringtones (my main ringtone is an entire song).
If i uninstall the app the ringtone and the UI are perfect synchronized and are shown instantly in the moment of the connection with no delay!
Another thing: I have pidgin plugin installed but it don't seem to affect the ringtone. To be honest i don't see how could do it!
Good luck!
have you tried wav?

.edit
ignore that. It does it by default.

..edit
Here is bug report. I think there is updated version that you can test and report how it works.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11145#c5

..edit
Actually read blog comments first fully
http://blog.barisione.org/2010-08/ringtoned-021/
New version should work, but developer says that actually rigtone is FASTER than UI

Last edited by slender; 2010-08-20 at 17:39.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
And btw. Dear fellow devel tester. May i remind you that you are using devel-repository software which means exactly what it says in the maemo wiki page:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras-devel
And please
READ IT!

The Following User Says Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 69 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Joseon
add extras/extras-testing/extras-devel catalogues
search "custom ringtone" on app. manager/ faster app and you will find an app by Marco B.

- Theme: (D-Theme Black&Red)
- Icon: faneza-n900-icons
Attached Images

Last edited by SMAr2wo; 2013-08-09 at 08:57.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by SMAr2wo View Post
add extras/extras-testing/extras-devel catalogues
search "custom ringtone" on app. manager/ faster app and you will find an app by Marco B.
NO!
Do NOT add extras-testing and extras-devel.

per-contact-ringtone is in Extras.

Devel and testing packages are NOT recommended for end users.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:

Tags
contact, contact ringtones, contacts, custom ringtones, different ringtones, fremantle, individual ringtones, maemo, maemo 5, per contact ringtone, ringtone, ringtone per contact, ringtones