Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Anybody want to buy a used N800, with battery, silicone black protecting skin, 8GB SD card (internal), car mount and chargers (car and home)? I think I still have the bluetooth GPS, too.. I'll look for it in the car later, if I have it, it comes along. That's how often I'm using it--I'm perfectly willing to sell it off at a low price. Better to get it into hands that might use it than to have it sitting here like this. Go ahead and throw out an offer--I don't expect any, but BONUS for me if I do. I need fewer gadgets hanging around.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

@danramos
Say it isn't so, danramos?

I guess I don't blame you though, I haven't played much with my N810 lately.

I have 3 nokia batteries and 1 fake and none of them hold much of a charge anymore. I wish it didn't require the battery to complete the circuit, as even on the charger it reboots frequently.

I use my palm pixi (w/ radio board swap = palm pixi plus) as needed. And it's GPS chip is far superior, heh. I don't use it very much either though because much it's slower than the N810 (not spec-wise but the web browser is beefier than microB and too much for it to handle -_- even overclocked). My friend's N95 outperforms the pixi in that respect as well, heh.

Been using my laptop mostly, it's an "ultraportable", netbook-sized without the gimp. Recently got a Clear mobile hotspot to keep all my wifi devices connected which is nice.

Wish I could use my N810 more, it's still an awesome device

The Following User Says Thank You to linuxeventually For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
It is a great device, but the software end of it is frustrating to deal with knowing nobody will fix it up anymore--at least, not the majority of the problematic bits which just so happen to be the closed-source bits that they've already classified as WONTFIXes and FIXED IN FREMANTLE in the bug reports. They STILL won't open up the OS to us. Beyond that, I've just been finding myself using my Galaxy Tab for almost everything I used my N800 for and I've been pleasantly surprised to see Android doing it spectacularly. A bit disheartening, since I still wanted an honest-to-God real Linux device... but my N800 never leaves the house with me anymore and it might as well go to someone who'll want it. :/
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Last edited by danramos; 2011-09-08 at 05:53. Reason: s/up up/open up/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by jstokes View Post
Addison, a BP-4L will not fit into a N800 and its terminals are on the left, anyway, while the N800's are in the middle. Just tried to put one in into my N800
Ok, for Nokia N800 the battery is different, BP-5L, found on old Nokia E61, etc. Here in Brazil this battery is available in some Internet stores.

DealExtreme has a compatible BP-5L for US$9. But I have always chosen the original ones.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 59 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Summerside, PEI, Canada
It's interesting how many people are using their N8X0 as music devices. Mine is pretty much a dedicated Xournal machine - notepad for shopping lists, filling out forms, signing documents. I've gone through 3 tablet PCs, Asus Eee Note, Entourage Edge and this thing still the device most likely to be pulled out when I need to sign a pdf.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I think I still have the bluetooth GPS, too.. I'll look for it in the car later, if I have it, it comes along. .
YO Dan,

If you find the GPS---can you test it with the Nook?

Sno

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

The Following User Says Thank You to Snoshrk For This Useful Post:
There was a fairly recent activity at gentoo overlay.

Btw: at the moment I am trying very hard to build QT 4.7.4 for diablo.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
My n800 is my bedside alarm clock. It always breaks my heart to know that such a powerful gadget is reduced to just that, but that's life I guess. I still do occasional web surfing and every few months I check for updates, I'm nostalgic, I guess...

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
I can't seem to leave this forum, even though I no longer use my N800. I think that it was the forum members who gave me joy, more so than the device!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
I've built most dependencies specified by Mohammed AG for 4.7.4 in fremantle. I am trying to mirror his work and later perhaps remove unnecessary stuff.

Most of them were pulled out of fremantle repository and rebuilt with minor patching inside diablo sdk.

The last remaining dependency is pulseaudio, which depends on alsa 1.0.20 in frementle.

Diablo contains 1.0.14, and it does not contain all constants that are used within pulseaudio.

I would like to backport 1.0.20 to diablo, but that would override the alsa from diablo repository.

My N810 is currently unusable (awaiting for the spare parts), and I can not verify if libasound2 is installed by default.

I would appriciate if someone can verify if this package is installed by default:
dpkg -l | grep libasound2

Last edited by momcilo; 2011-09-08 at 22:06.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo4, nokia n800, nokia n810