Active Topics

Greetings,

I'm still torn between Android and the N900 when it become available in Canada. There are two things that I'm hoping the N900 has but I can't be certain.

My contacts are kept in an LDAP directory on my server at home. This is accessible via public ssh. Is there a way to have Maemo query or even synchronize using LDAP? I see that LDAP is on an old feature wish list. Has there been an progress on this?

Similarly I keep my calendar and todos at home using Roaring Penguin's Remind. I've seen some older threads talking about Remind, Wyrd and Tkremind. I'd like to know if there are any practical experiences using Remind.

I don't know about ldap.

However, I did make a remind deb for the earlier tablets, I believe it'll still install on the N900. It's not the very latest version. I didn't make any package for Tkremind (missing tk-libs) or Wyrd though. I know that at least one person used the remind package, and iirc there were quite a number of downloads (I hosted it, still do, at box.net). But I haven't seen any in-depth reports about it, except the fact that it worked.

Is it hard to port programs to Maemo?

That depends. For command-line applications that already exist for Debian it's very, very easy. It's mostly apt-get source <package name>, then a slight adjustment of debian/rules of that source package (mainly to rip out stuff that just takes place, like documentation), and build in scratchbox. Easy.

GUI applications are a different story though. It helps if it's available for Debian already. Then you'll have to look at what toolkit is used, and if it's available for Maemo (e.g. gtk, QT). Then check if the application can handle the smaller 800x480 resolution (this is mostly not handled out of the box for applications, they tend to expect a much larger screen and may be stuffed full of buttons and other things that demand screen real estate). And finally, to look for how the application behaves battery-vise (i.e. if it is vasting energy by updating a screen that may not currently be visible, etc.). Oh, and then there are some Maemo-specific version of tookit functions that might be used to replace the original code.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United Kingdom
I'm currently trying to make Wyrd work on top of EasyDebian - are there any confirmed reports of this actually working correctly?

Reviving an old thread...

I'm fiddling with Remind calendar on my Debian machine and have compiled Remind and Wyrd for my n900. Perhaps someone is interested, the files are attached.

Wyrd however seems pretty useless at first sight as it requires a 23 line window and that means you have to zoom out very much and have an almost illegible font size.

Remind was compiled without tcl/tk due to unmet dependencies.

Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: deb remind_03.01.11-1_armel.deb (171.3 KB, 82 views)
File Type: deb wyrd_1.4.5-1_armel.deb (257.5 KB, 62 views)

The Following User Says Thank You to borghal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United Kingdom
Originally Posted by borghal View Post
Reviving an old thread...

I'm fiddling with Remind calendar on my Debian machine and have compiled Remind and Wyrd for my n900. Perhaps someone is interested, the files are attached.
I looked at cross-compiling this for the N900 but couldn't see how to do it - do you have any notes on how you did this?

Originally Posted by borghal View Post
Wyrd however seems pretty useless at first sight as it requires a 23 line window and that means you have to zoom out very much and have an almost illegible font size.

Remind was compiled without tcl/tk due to unmet dependencies.

Cheers!
I'm on a 30 line window at the moment, so this looks fine - all I need now is to get the calendar data from my old PDA and into a format the wyrd/remind understands

Also, just in case you know, do you know if Wyrd is available, or compiles easily on, Android? I expect I'll need to leave my N900 behind sooner or later, so it would be handy not to be going through this process again in a few months' time...

Whoa, this is great! I love remind. Thank you so much borghal.

It would be nice if a permanent package for remind could be added to the repos. It took me a few hours of searching to find this .deb package to replace the older 3.01.04 version which I had found posted to another thread quite a long time ago by TA-t3.

Would someone please please please volunteer to maintain a 'remind' package in the repos? It would be so awesome.