Active Topics

People complaining about that their custom operator name got removed and forgetting what the people making the CSSU are actually doing...seriously they even get angry? Custom operator name and color...rather very useless... Get a life.

Thanks for making the CSSU folks...it's great you put your spare time in making such good software updates.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to end2begin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
@vi_: Greetings! And thanks. Hopefully I'll have enough free time to stick around for a while again.

Originally Posted by end2begin View Post
Custom operator name and color...rather very useless... Get a life.
Let's try that logic on some other things people presumably like:

"Custom theme icons and color...rather very useless... Get a life."
"Custom clothes colors and styles...rather very useless... Get a life."
"Custom food and drink flavors...rather very useless... Get a life."
"Custom water temperature when taking a shower/bath...rather very useless... Get a life."
"[insert thing that doesn't inherently, directly really add to quality of life but that contributes in a small way to overall happiness]...rather very useless... Get a life."

For anyone who doesn't actually get why a person might want the features of custom operator name applet integrated into the cbs one, I for one have not at any point of my life been particularly interested in seeing "T-Mobile" just hovering there. I know I'm on T-Mobile, thanks, and I like keeping my desktops empty. But there is status information that I can benefit from, such as having at-a-glance indicators of whether or not my phone is not connected to a phone network at all, or is in the process of connecting - and that is something the custom operator name applet/widget let you set - seperate connecting and offline text, not just replacing the operator name in general.

So I had a single white period '.' as my 'operator name' when offline, a gray colon ':' as 'operator name' when connecting, and then a space ' ' to create a completely blank operator name when actually connected. This way any time I was on my desktop I could see an indication of whether or not I was disconnected but more importantly, if the N900 wasn't connected to a phone network, if it was in the process of trying to reconnect, or if it was completely out of service for the moment.

I certainly agree that it's a minor feature/preference, but that, or any number of other preferences a user of the Custom Operator Name applet/widget might have, isn't any less valid or worthy of a preference than being able to have different colored themes or even the operator CBS applet features.

At the same time, sure, I don't agree with anyone who outright gets mad over the absence of the custom operator applet in the testing branch of CSSU - as far as disagreeing with the /anger/ goes, the arguments put forth that this is a testing release and you should expect stuff like this in testing are very much sound - but there's a difference between getting mad and expressing a preference, and most people have been just expressing a preference without anger or too much whining.

Meanwhile, if I get the chance I'll look at the source codes of the two operator name applets tonight and see if they can be combined.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
FWIW:

If you apt-get remove operator name plugin you will have no operator name floating on your desktop. Might even save a few CPU cycles.

Alternativley, stick:

Code:
gconftool-2 --type string --set /apps/connui-cellular/operator_name_online $(ifconfig wlan0 | awk '/inet addr/ {split ($2,A,":"); print A[2]}') | grep -v "127.0.0.1"
Into a script in /etc/network/if-post-up.d with custom operator widget installed and your operator name will be your IP address unless you are not connected in which case it will be nothing.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
CSSU Team, any idea, if this is related?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1019

/Estel

// Edit

Yes, it is related. merlin1991 is now working on it.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-06-25 at 02:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Hi all.

I am having huge battery drain sin i have upgraded CSSU package. Do you?

Regards.

No.ten chars
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
No.ten chars
me too :P :P :P
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by Straycat View Post
Hi all.

I am having huge battery drain sin i have upgraded CSSU package. Do you?

Regards.
I had sometime ago (strange behavior of settings, e.g. network autoscan), but after resetting settings from backup it all became in order after 1-2 days. The problems disappeared as suddenly as they appeared.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
I also have remarkable less battery life ... And it appeared indeed at that time. I can't pinpoint it to any process using top. I'll check the network settings too.

I hope the Thumbs kernel gets into CSSU soon. great progress there!

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Netweaver View Post
I also have remarkable less battery life ... And it appeared indeed at that time. I can't pinpoint it to any process using top. I'll check the network settings too.

I hope the Thumbs kernel gets into CSSU soon. great progress there!
please use powertop
also set device to airplane mode, to rule out it's just a rogue WiFi AP or poor GSM network that's hogging your battery. any widget/whatever that starts significant misbehaviour during airplane mode is likely to be a culprit of your battery drain

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2012-06-25 at 15:39.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:

Tags
cssu testing