Active Topics

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I'd like to upload to free as well, but I'm just not capable enough with this stuff to do it. I really hope Khertan releases a new version of PyPackager that makes it possible to upload packages like mine again.
Since your package is GPL, there is no reason it should not get into free. I will look at PyPackager and try to come up to speed to answer some of the question you raised qole.

The Following User Says Thank You to jeremiah For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It turns out, that despite the name of this thread, the problem is not a source requirement; it is the autobuilder. It would be wonderful to have a program like PyPackager that would make complete packages that are able to be fed to the autobuilder, even though they don't need compiling. That is, the autobuilder will simply take the package and build the deb without attempting to compile anything.

But this is a cheat, and mainly why I decided to go to the non-free repository. The whole point of a free repository with source code that is guarded by an autobuilder is that the packages can be rebuilt for new versions of the OS. If you cheat the system and upload packages like mine (with binary bits), it defeats the purpose.

The ideal situation would be to re-package the binary bits from my package as separate packages. For instance, Matan's dmloop kernel modules could be packaged separately, as could his patched Matchbox window manager. Bundyo's hostwin app, written in Vala, is another tricky bit.

Most of these binary bits have been moved to my easy-chroot package, by the way, if you're looking for them.

And even though I'm uploading to non-free, I'm uploading source packages which include all of my scripts and any source code for other bits that I can get, like the hostwin app.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
It turns out, that despite the name of this thread, the problem is not a source requirement; it is the autobuilder. It would be wonderful to have a program like PyPackager that would make complete packages that are able to be fed to the autobuilder, even though they don't need compiling. That is, the autobuilder will simply take the package and build the deb without attempting to compile anything.
Indeed.

But this is a cheat, and mainly why I decided to go to the non-free repository. The whole point of a free repository with source code that is guarded by an autobuilder is that the packages can be rebuilt for new versions of the OS. If you cheat the system and upload packages like mine (with binary bits), it defeats the purpose.
Agreed.

Bundyo's hostwin app, written in Vala, is another tricky bit.
FWIW, extras & extras-devel both contain the Vala compiler, and I've proved that Vala applications can be built by the auto-builder (see "Vala Sample" in extras-devel).

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Isn't that basically Khertan's py2deb? He uses it to upload his python stuff (which does not need compiling, as you already know (unless you count the optional byte-compiling...)). But src packages made with dh_make are notoriously easy to modify not to do any compiling. Just remove the make lines, and add rules to the install section (something like: mkdir -p $(CURDIR)/debian/package/usr/bin <\n> cp $(CURDIR)/1 $(CURDIR)/debian/package/usr/bin or install -D -m755 $(CURDIR)/1 $(CURDIR)/debian/package/usr/bin/1 or even dh_install 1 /usr/bin).

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-04-09 at 15:08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:

Tags
autobuilder, extras, package, upload