Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by geneven View Post

BTW: Has FMMS already been mentioned?
No, and don't do it....

Originally Posted by stickymick View Post
Well, I'm not a developer, I know squit about programming in nix and N900.
But if someone offered me a swap-out for an iPhone 4 or android phone I'd flatly refuse. I'm enjoying getting my hands dirty with the N900.
As gmuslera says above “Buy your new phone first and put the N900 away”. See how long you can last.

I really liked my n900 but was in fact offered an iPhone 4 straight up. I took the trade. My thinking is iPhone 4 is worth more. I mean I can sell a used iPhone 4 for 600 easily and buy an n900 new off eBay for 400 (edit just checked amazon 350 new) or used for around 300. From a profit standpoint you have to be crazy not to take the trade, buy another n900 and pocket the change.

Last edited by lstrike21; 2011-01-22 at 00:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to lstrike21 For This Useful Post:
but selling apple hardware makes you a bad person, you know. also, steve will hunt you down for unsanctioned trade. are you willing to do that to people and face unknown consequences for a mere $200 profit?

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
I love selling Apple products. Retain higher value then the average smart phone and list is jailbroken and watch the margins increase as some no nothing bloke drives the bids sky high!

And nah Steve ain't doing to much hunting these days...lol

Ps - any particular reason a certain dude thanks every post? Lol...

Last edited by lstrike21; 2011-01-22 at 00:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to lstrike21 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ lisbon, portugal
posting just to remember in subscriptions. to sleepy to answer now.

The Following User Says Thank You to trlopes1974 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by Acidspunk View Post
Why would you need convincing at all? Go with what suits your needs. If the N900 isn't doing it for you, you should definitely get something else.
bravo acid....

bro sell the phone and move on if it's not cutting the mustard for you. nuff said

The Following User Says Thank You to ddiscodave For This Useful Post:
BTW: Has FMMS already been mentioned?
HOLY **** I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW ABOUT THAT!

Look, we know about fMMS, it's a decent application, we're just talking about the fact that Nokia didn't officially support it.

That Apple doesn't support Flash or that Nokia doesn't come with MMS?
I think Apple doesn't support flash because it doesn't run "perfect". Even the best Androids can hardly keep up with flash banner ads, not insulting Android at all, it just doesn't run great yet. The iPhone UI is known for running perfectly, buttery smooth throughout. God forbid a feature doesn't look great on the iPhone.

When the iPhone 9 has a 2Ghz processor and a nvidia 425m with 1GB VRAM, Steve Jobs will say the iPhone has revolutionized the smartphone industry and that the iPhone is superior to anything.

Last edited by mattbutsko; 2011-01-22 at 03:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to mattbutsko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ lisbon, portugal
Hi.
When I read your post two days ago. I felt this impulse that maked me wake up today and came here to answer you (or maybe was just a false standby call...)

You have answered yourself on you own message...
"It seems, the things I wanted this device to do, are all possible, and I've learned how to make them occur, but I have to make it happen."

And this is where all the fun is. If you wanted just a phone you wouldn't buy n900. Android phones (from the same time and even newer) are really far, far away from n900 (ok, their gui is somehow nicer). But you surely don't have the hacking possibilities that you have in n900.

comparing...
You have a real computer in your hand, android's owners have a kind of a dumb terminal (your a unix guy, you know what I'm talking about).
I always had this smartphone/gadjet paranoia, a few years ago I had a Windows mobile htc tytn, it was a great phone, HiFi,3g,cam,keyboard... I thanked god that it was a free, I was really fed up with it after 2 weeks. I will NEVER buy another windows mobile device (unless I can boot linux under it).

So, getting back to the point. Don't blame on one function that doesn't (still) work as it should. You knew that this would happen when you bought the phone. And confess that you like the challenge of making-it work. If you didn't owned it your life wouldn't be that fun.

regards
Tiago

ps:if you still wan't to sell-it cheap, I give-you 10 bucks and relieve you from all that weight

The Following User Says Thank You to trlopes1974 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 152 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Shanghai, China
Originally Posted by coderedcomputing View Post
I'm just getting fed up.

It seems, the things I wanted this device to do, are all possible, and I've learned how to make them occur, but I have to make it happen. It's just like working on any of my linux boxes in general, but it is just...becoming very maddening. Seeing the other options out there being used by co-workers, JB IPhone, Android, even a Winbleh phone... I start to wonder if tossing this N900 until a newer device comes out from Nokia. Though sadly, I just feel like it will be all the same noise, all over again.

So folks, help me out here. I'd hate to go through all the relearning again, but good grief I am getting so sick of this device.
Exactly the same feeling after using N900 for 9 months.

Also agreed that N900 (maemo 5) can do many things in X-Terminal.

But the apps in iOS/Android seems more attactive and well-cooked.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ West Virginia
So here's where I am now. I've got an iPhone 4 in my hands as of now. I also have an HTC Aria, don't ask and I won't get into the details. I will only say, I'm very very scared for my N900 in the hands of a good friend of mine.

I've been playing around with the Apple more than the droid, and thus far I can't see buying one... maybe if one fell in my lap for free.... Problem is, I jailbroke this about 4 hours after I had it in my hand and tried to run a ping on one of my servers and ssh into it to ftp some new css docs to the site. I tried loading up 4 different apps that said they could run tracert ssh ping and the like and I was aching for my xterm. (tried pTerm, iSSH, and something called network ping) Just... blech.

The Android I'm going to mess with next week. No idea how that will go.

I think I'm missing my Nokia already. dammet.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderedcomputing For This Useful Post:

Tags
compare-choose, keep it, sell it, taggggg