Posts: 85 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Hertfordshire, UK
I have to say that its very nice. I don't want one, but it is nice.

There's been a lot of discussion about data plans and sim cards on here. I agree with Nokia's decision re simcards and the IT.

The thing that I really like about the iphone is the unlimited data. I think that's got to make it very attractive to small businesses that don't have the resource for a blackberry server/exchange infrastructure.

So I wonder why Nokia can't negotiate with the phone companies the same way Apple did, globally, to allow us to have a phone on contract, an IT tied to it via bluetooth, and unlimited data?

Why not GSM/CDMA capability and let the consumer choose their provider and plan?

You can get unlimited data anywhere...I use T-Mobile for example. Apple's decision to limit the iphone to AT&T service is the main reason I won't buy one, and I'd hate to see Nokia tell me which cell carrier I had to use.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I have to say that at least in Germany the iPhone data plans are insanely expensive. For other T-Mobile phones I get equivalent or superior data plans for less than half the monthly price. But I agree that it would be nice to have a SIM card slot in the internet tablets for optional data plan SIMs.
I enjoy having ubiquitious EDGE (T-Mobile's EDGE coverage in Germany is nearing 100%) internet access on my HTC phone but using the HTC as modem for the N800 always requires me to open an xterm and become root, since the HTC only supports PAN, not DUN.

Saunalahti in finland is offering "päällikköpaketti" wich stands for boss packadge

The Kit includes N800 and a 6120 nokia. and with the smallest plan it's only 23 euros / month. 2 years contracht. Ofcourse you have to get a data plan also wich costs like this:

384 kbit/s 9.80€
512 14.80€
1024 19.80€
2048 29.80€

So basicly you get mobile internet for only 33 euros / month. Sweet isn't it?

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Yeah, I pay roughly the same in Germany (T-Mobile) for my HTC phone. The plan is limited to 384kbit/s but since the phone cannot do UMTS, it doesn't matter. 220kbit/s is not bad for mobile internet, either.

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Germany - Munich
What do you mean by unlimited data?

In the US you can get an equivalent plan from AT&T wireless without iPhone - just get http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...ory=cat1370011 for $40/month and add unlimited data for $20/month (http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-pho...tId=cat1470003). I am using it with Motorola V3xx and Nokia 800 and it works great, especially in 3G areas.

I went and bought an Ipod touch. I really like the device and ever since I got it, my n800 has been totally useless. I have used it ocasionally, when there is flash content I really must see, or I am not in the wifi coverage. But now that I have seen "the light" I really want an Iphone. The video quality is excellent, the mp3 playback is really smooth. Not to mention the excellent mail application included. Also the installer.app has brought nice apps to use. Not to mention the possibilities that the SDK will bring.

If I would stick to my regular combo that I have now, I would need a charger for my motorola phone, charger for my n800, and an iPod to plug in my car to play some tunes / or in the worst scenario a third charger. Too much stuff to carry around. Too many gizmos to worry about.

With the iPhone it's just one gizmo + usb cable. And you're good to go. Sure it doesn't have the voip functionalities. But then again how would you benefit those with GPRS connection.

Sure the N800 will have canola, and such but the main reason for this switch is the calendar. N800 never came to what I thought it would. Too much hassle with beta / demo apps. Broken repositories. And a far inferior touch screen.

Ofcourse I am gonna keep the nokia, since the resell value is next to nothing. Don't get this the wrong way it's a nice toy to play sometimes, but for casual action it's not practical. And when the 3G iPhone arrives, nokia will have some hard time keeping up.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by Jupex View Post
I went and bought an Ipod touch. I really like the device and ever since I got it, my n800 has been totally useless. I have used it ocasionally, when there is flash content I really must see, or I am not in the wifi coverage. But now that I have seen "the light" I really want an Iphone. The video quality is excellent, the mp3 playback is really smooth. Not to mention the excellent mail application included. Also the installer.app has brought nice apps to use. Not to mention the possibilities that the SDK will bring.

If I would stick to my regular combo that I have now, I would need a charger for my motorola phone, charger for my n800, and an iPod to plug in my car to play some tunes / or in the worst scenario a third charger. Too much stuff to carry around. Too many gizmos to worry about.

With the iPhone it's just one gizmo + usb cable. And you're good to go. Sure it doesn't have the voip functionalities. But then again how would you benefit those with GPRS connection.

Sure the N800 will have canola, and such but the main reason for this switch is the calendar. N800 never came to what I thought it would. Too much hassle with beta / demo apps. Broken repositories. And a far inferior touch screen.

Ofcourse I am gonna keep the nokia, since the resell value is next to nothing. Don't get this the wrong way it's a nice toy to play sometimes, but for casual action it's not practical. And when the 3G iPhone arrives, nokia will have some hard time keeping up.
1. the nokia also can be charged via a usb cable.

2. Voip definitely works well at edge speeds.

3. You could always use n800 with canola in your car.

4. nokia has many 3g phones since a long time and they are going to release a touch screen version of s60. So dont worry at all about nokia keeping up.

Nokia just does not like working in the US especially where the cellular providers want everything. rest of the world where there is not that much dominance of the cellular providers and where the customers are free to choose what ever they want.... nokia rocks.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
Originally Posted by Jupex View Post

It all depends on the user. For me, the N810 is superior because I can tether Bluetooth to my N95-3 and have 3G anywhere, without having to hunt down a WiFi hotspot. The PIM functions depend on the person. My N95 has all the organizer features I could want, so having them on the N810 would simply be yet another sync point, and would be redundant.