Active Topics

Notices

I note from http://hermes.garage.maemo.org/ that Hermes can
update the contact on the device with photo (from Facebook or Twitter), birthday - which will appear in Calendar automatically (from Facebook), profile URL (on Facebook and Twitter) and homepage (from Twitter).
I was wondering whether it could also update things like email addresses and phone numbers. This would be an obvious bonus for when people change their numbers and so forth...

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
I don't think the facebook api lets you pull email/phonenumbers...

Which is why this isnt in, afaik.

(edited for clarification)

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

Last edited by frals; 2009-10-21 at 18:27.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
frals is correct. Facebook lets you get the information outlined here: http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/.../Users.getInfo - as far as I can tell, the only useful information here is picture, name, birthday and homepage URLs. Hermes pulls all of that.

If you can find something else useful from that URL, let me know.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki
I have been playing around with Hermes and I think it is really cool! Just a couple of things I have noticed, that I think could happen also to other average users like myself:

- I did not know the difference between "Retrieve" and "Update", and have tried both.. What if the explanations you have on the webpage were also on the buttons? Something like:
Retrieve will fill in missing data for a contact.
Update will overwrite any contact entry.

- I also played around with the birthday-only contact possibility, not fully realising that Hermes cannot remove the any contacts it has added, or can it? I also did not realise that N900 calendar picks up all the birthdays from the contact book, and now I have birthday cakes all over my calendar! Luckily MfE does not sync them with my office calendar! So, a suggestion: could it be possible to choose what entries are added? Personally I would like to have the photos, probably not much else.

- The graphics looks great, but the appearance of the buttons does not match the beauty of the background. Maybe there is some sort of alpha-channel issue? I can send you a screenshot if you wish.

And as I am new to testing applications, I would like to know whether this was the correct place for this kind of feedback? These are not really bugs, just some observations.

Reija

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like the app.

- The subtitles under the buttons are an attempt to summarise what they do, and 0.2.2 has them called "Retrieve" and "Refresh". See #5452 for more discussion on this. Comments welcome.

- So, you'd like the mostly empty contacts created but only with name, photo & Facebook profile page?

- The black border around the buttons is caused by #5458 which is a bug in the Gtk+ engine underlying the Maemo GUI. The buttons would have to be re-implemented as standalone graphics (no chance for subtitles then) to solve this problem.

Hope that helps,

Andrew

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
frals is correct. Facebook lets you get the information outlined here: http://wiki.developers.facebook.com/.../Users.getInfo - as far as I can tell, the only useful information here is picture, name, birthday and homepage URLs. Hermes pulls all of that.

If you can find something else useful from that URL, let me know.
Well, arguably hometown_location/current_location (and it's child fields) could be used to construct rudimentary addresses...

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Well, arguably hometown_location/current_location (and it's child fields) could be used to construct rudimentary addresses...
True, but it'd be very rudimentary (in the UK, the int-based "zip" would be entirely useless). Useful?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
True, but it'd be very rudimentary (in the UK, the int-based "zip" would be entirely useless). Useful?
I *could* imagine some interesing uses (like display/search contacts from X city or Y country), but am not pushing for anything.

Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
Will this also sync contacts with OVI (from other Nokia phones) or is there some other method by which that can be done? The sim doesn't hold the richer information that I can input on my current phone, and would rather capture that phones info (via OVI), than save to the sim and import. If this is so completely obvious, I apologize in advance for the question.

Doesn't the Palm Pre pull numbers / peoples addresses down from Facebook?

What's the problem with Hermes doing this? Because it's not part of the OS per say. Or because it hasn't been developed with Facebooks cooperation?

Tags
application, birthday, contact, contacts, facebook, fremantle, hermes, information, jaffa, maemo, maemo 5, photo, photos, sync, synchronization, twitter, url, website