Active Topics

Notices

Anybody have experience using cover art for .M4A AAC files? should work the same way (I hope)

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 78 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by ViciousXUSMC View Post
Anybody have experience using cover art for .M4A AAC files? should work the same way (I hope)
Mp3tag supports the following audio formats:

* Advanced Audio Coding (aac)
* Free Lossless Audio Codec (flac)
* Monkey's Audio (ape)
* Mpeg Layer 3 (mp3)
* MPEG-4 (mp4 / m4a / m4b / iTunes compatible)
* Musepack (mpc)
* Ogg Vorbis (ogg)
* OptimFROG (ofr)
* OptimFROG DualStream (ofs)
* Speex (spx)
* Tom's Audio Kompressor (tak)
* True Audio (tta)
* Windows Media Audio (wma)
* WavPack (wv)

Posts: 488 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Asgard / Midgard / London
Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
I have the exact same problem... stupid old covers just won't go away. Even though I've embedded pics into tags using Mp3tag the N900 still shows old covers. The old covers have got to be cached somewhere on the device (I tried the 'tracker-processes -r' and all that). But where???

It's driving me crazy.
Me too, I haven't figured out how to change it.
I think there is some database somewhere that keeps a record of everything including the cover arts and links them to songs/albums/artists.

The Following User Says Thank You to Thor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Me too, I haven't figured out how to change it.
I think there is some database somewhere that keeps a record of everything including the cover arts and links them to songs/albums/artists.
Tracker is the program which indexes all the media on the N900. For MP3s it copies the cover art to a filename with the form /home/user/.cache/media-art/album-$(printf ' ' | md5sum)-$(printf '<album-name-in-lowercase>' | md5sum).jpeg. It follows the GNOME Media Art Storage Spec, except that it always uses a space instead of the album artist. (That's been reported as Bug 7263.

I've tried manually copying an album cover to this location for one of my Ogg Vorbis albums, and it showed up in the media player like it should. So for me the next step is to modify the tracker-extractor-vorbis package to copy the album covers like the MP3 extractor does. (Bug 7413)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toojays For This Useful Post:
hey i have a question about album art, i have ripped an original CD on my pc, when i play it on windows media player the art appears, i copy paste the album to my n900, and played the songs there was no album art, but when i go to my images the album art is there :\

Originally Posted by M|ch View Post
hey i have a question about album art, i have ripped an original CD on my pc, when i play it on windows media player the art appears, i copy paste the album to my n900, and played the songs there was no album art, but when i go to my images the album art is there :\
1.) Read the whole thread from very beginning. Answer seems to be on first page ;-)

2.) Start xterm, navigate to folder, then:

mv Folder.jpg cover.jpg
tracker-processes -r

You might want to automate this for your whole folder structure using "find".
You might want to use symbolic link instead of renaming.

Originally Posted by Kajko View Post
I have the exact same problem... stupid old covers just won't go away. Even though I've embedded pics into tags using Mp3tag the N900 still shows old covers. The old covers have got to be cached somewhere on the device (I tried the 'tracker-processes -r' and all that). But where???

It's driving me crazy.
Yes, they're cached in the "/home/user/.cache/media-art/" folder and ".mediaartlocal" folders in your music directories.
You have to remove them like I wrote before.

I also had to remove files "file-*" in the "/home/user/.cache/tracker/" directory for my changes to take effect.

Just wanted to bring this topic back up not sure if the odd behavior of the N900 with how it saves cover art and its tracker would be a bug or not, but it makes it pretty hard for the end user to update cover art.

I just today wanted to update a cover art for an album and did the simple steps first of deleting the old files and the folder with the album cover in it and then rebooted the device and found it did not work.

I have not yet gone into the advanced steps listed here to run the xterm commands and delete all those folders, its a lot to do and a lot of work for the N900 just to update cover art.

Anyways I was thinking if we have a kind hearted developer about that can cook up a script/program for us that automates this process that would be awesome. The FM transmitter required typing out this long winded script into the xterm to boost the transmission signal, somebody made a nice little widget you just press and it does it for you. So that same kind of thing would work great for this.

Infact I am going to find out who made that widget and ask them kindly if they can bundle this process up for us into an automated deal.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I don't use album art ... Kids these days and their pretty pictures!

But I'll whip up a little widget to fix album art if someone will post a definitive set of commands and I see a couple people say, "works for me". It's not clear to me what the magic commands are yet.

Do I need to write a script to do both jcompagner / Weiner's suggestion (move any files named Folder.jpg to cover.jpg and run tracker-processes -r) and ravbin's suggestion (delete /home/user/.cache/media-art/*, any .mediaartlocal folders, and /home/user/.cache/tracker/file-*, then run tracker-processes -r ), or just one or the other?

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I don't use album art ... Kids these days and their pretty pictures!

But I'll whip up a little widget to fix album art if someone will post a definitive set of commands and I see a couple people say, "works for me". It's not clear to me what the magic commands are yet.

Do I need to write a script to do both jcompagner / Weiner's suggestion (move any files named Folder.jpg to cover.jpg and run tracker-processes -r) and ravbin's suggestion (delete /home/user/.cache/media-art/*, any .mediaartlocal folders, and /home/user/.cache/tracker/file-*, then run tracker-processes -r ), or just one or the other?
I agree and that was my only concern is that we do not have a proper command set yet, esp since the 1.1 update things may be different now. I noticed my album art loads faster on the main selection screen so that may mean things have changed up in how they load/store.

I'll do some testing later tonight and let you know how it goes.

I do belive people with the worst issues needed to delete the local content and then update the tracker because just refreshing the tracker it still loaded the old cover art stored in the local folders.

I think even still as far as this thread goes we have only discovered the location of the "large art" the ones that you see while a track is playing and not the smaller icons that you see when picking the album from the main menu.

But thanks for coming so quickly to help out.

Tags
maemo 5, tracker