Active Topics

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I am using winXP PC

1) Install Palm Desktop 6.2 on winXP PC
2) Have MS Outlook installed
3) Configure Palm Desktop to have MS Outlook as conduit sync
4) Hotsync Your N900 GVM with your winXP PC, this will get your GVM contacts into your MS Outlook
================================
I have problem with my 'new' GVM, wont sync address with the Palm Desktop, out of frustration (1 oclock in the morning!) I used file manager from zlauncher, to copy the AddressBook.prc and AddressDB from old GVM to new GVM on the N900
==================================
5) Nokia PC suite 7.1.40.1 dl from here and install into your winXP PC
6) Connect to your N900 (USB cable or BT, I used BT)
7) sync contact with MS Outlook, 1200 contacts sync'ed nicely into N900!

Each step took 15 some minutes, expect a 2 hrs ordeal ; still better than hand type 1200 entries.

Once setup, the subsequent sync took less than 2 minutes. It supposed to work with TODO and calender too

enjoy,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-01-10 at 07:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Very nice find!

Many thanks!

Oh, and just to let you know, UptoDate doesn't require java websphere anymore.

Cheers buddy!

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
...UptoDate doesn't require java websphere anymore.
How is that so? You carefully type the whole UptoDate, line by line, together with your assistant's help ?

Happy new year to you and your... assisstant? What special have you pick, got to think about that by now...... matching day is not too far away!

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-01-10 at 07:54.

You really talk weird sometimes, bun.

But I dig that about you!

Check out the new requirements for PDA installation.
UptoDate

No longer is there a need for Java Websphere which Garnet couldn't support.

I am kind of happy with Merck Manual so far. However, I have more and more collegeaus switched to UpToDate, with this new info about JVM, maybe I will switch too. Problem with Merck, info update too slow, and takes 33.5 MB RAM, made me use 64 MB and slowed down on initialization. Thanks for the info, I probably will switch on a weekend?

bun

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
5) Nokia PC suite 7.1.40.1 dl from here and install into your winXP PC
6) Connect to your N900 (USB cable or BT, I used BT)
7) sync contact with MS Outlook, 1200 contacts sync'ed nicely into N900!
I managed to sync 3500 contacts and several hundred appointments, tasks and notes from Outlook 2007 to my N900 using Nokia PC Suite on Win7 and I was understandably very happy that it worked!

However. it didn't keep working. After many successful syncs back and forth (over BT), one day I noticed something suspicious--PC Suite had stopped picking up changes in Outlook! I was adding tasks and updating contacts on my laptop but they were NOT being sent to the N900. However, changes were still going the other way.

I wasted several days uninstalling/reinstalling PC Suite, trying USB, deleting all the N900 data and starting over, etc. all to no avail. With the amount of data I have, PC Suite breaks down at some poinht.

So I called Nokiia N900 Tech Support and they told me that Outlook synchronization is not officially supported by the N900 at this time and the problems with be resolved in a firmware update this year.

Hopefully, you won't experience the problem I'm having and hopefully the fix will be released soon. Because this is my business tool and I have a lot of info to manage.

The Following User Says Thank You to bgrigor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
I am kind of happy with Merck Manual so far. However, I have more and more collegeaus switched to UpToDate, with this new info about JVM, maybe I will switch too. Problem with Merck, info update too slow, and takes 33.5 MB RAM, made me use 64 MB and slowed down on initialization. Thanks for the info, I probably will switch on a weekend?

bun
I'll say this one last time, you're doing it all wrong.

Unless you get a residency discount though, UptoDate is a $1,500 yearly subscription.

Hope you have the extra cash to spend for it.

For me, it's the best thing in the world, and honestly, no amount of money would stop me from still using this.

I love it that much.

Anyway, I'm being off topic here and I need to sleep now.

Thanks again for the great find, bun. Have a good one.

Re: To get GVM/palm contacts into N900 contacts

Well, at least from a real Palm it's simple enough:
1: BT the Palm contacts (all, of by category, if you want) to some computer. In my case, the N800.
2: Import the .vcf file into contacts on the N900. There's a bug that won't let the N900 receive the file via BT (or you could do 1: directly to the N900), but it can be copied over wi-fi or USB or card).
3: Sometimes the file may need to be massaged. Not sure about the N900, but one of my S-E phones didn't like the ;home text in the telephone field, a quick run through a 'sed' filter fixed that. Back to 2: until it works.

Now, with GVM you can't BT directly.. an unfortunate limit.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
...Now, with GVM you can't BT directly.. an unfortunate limit.

I spend half a day just to get the contact "out" from this GVM thing . I always worry I cannot get the contacts in GVM. I never realize, if it failed hotsync, it is sooooo difficult to get things out from gvm. And sadly to say, that was my situation. With some luck, I was able to squeeze it out from zlauncher.

bun

Tags
contacts, gvm, outlook