Active Topics

Is it possible to set a ringtone different than the default ringtone for a contact? I'd like to have a distinctive ring for family.

The Following User Says Thank You to mark-maemo For This Useful Post:
Nope I don't think this is possible at this time ..

The Following User Says Thank You to ahmadka For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the quick answer. Hopefully this is added in the future.

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
I wonder if a hacky way of doing this, as I suggested in this post: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...340#post456340 may work? I have neither the time nor python skills to try it myself, unfortunately

The Following User Says Thank You to kwotski For This Useful Post:
I'm sure that someone will develop an app for doing that, hope to see it in Extras soon.

Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
i wonder why this is not possible?! i'm thinking of this feature for years now, it feels so elemental.
technically this shouldnt be a problem at all. i mean, your phone does regocnize WHO is calling you when you have some on your contactlist, so playing a specific ringtone shouldnt be a problem.

Originally Posted by msa View Post
i wonder why this is not possible?! i'm thinking of this feature for years now, it feels so elemental.
technically this shouldnt be a problem at all. i mean, your phone does regocnize WHO is calling you when you have some on your contactlist, so playing a specific ringtone shouldnt be a problem.
In fact it is not a problem at all, but Nokia has chosen not to include that feature; we could write an approximately infinite list of basical and obvious features Nokia has not implemented in the N900 by default, such as MMS support, an FM Radio, voice recognition for calling and opening apps, selection of the video recording quality, some SIM services, etc... All these funcions were present (by default) even in the worst of the Symbian devices, but aren't actually in th flagship of Maemo devices. It was probably a time problem for Nokia, it had to quickly sell an iPhone rival and it let some minor apps to the Maemo.org community

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 436 | Thanked: 298 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ England
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
In fact it is not a problem at all, but Nokia has chosen not to include that feature; we could write an approximately infinite list of basical and obvious features Nokia has not implemented in the N900 by default, such as MMS support, an FM Radio, voice recognition for calling and opening apps, selection of the video recording quality, some SIM services, etc... All these funcions were present (by default) even in the worst of the Symbian devices, but aren't actually in th flagship of Maemo devices. It was probably a time problem for Nokia, it had to quickly sell an iPhone rival and it let some minor apps to the Maemo.org community
Surely the biggest difficulty came in creating the N900 as a hardware item and the OS system.
Once those two were created I would ahve imagined features such as ringtones per contact/FM Radio/proper call logging etc etc would be an easy thing to implement by a competent programmer?

Originally Posted by fraaaaanka View Post
Once those two were created I would ahve imagined features such as ringtones per contact/FM Radio/proper call logging etc etc would be an easy thing to implement by a competent programmer?
Yes, they are definitely easy things to implement by a competent Nokia programmer, but even the easiest software needs time. Time for developing, time for testing, etc... And time is what Nokia lacks of. Once those two things you have mentioned were created, Nokia's only thought was to imediately sell them, letting minor easy things to the future OR to Maemo.org community.

Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
part of me also feels that it's so they can give you updates .....with strings(thing you don't desire) attached to them.

Tags
contact, contact ringtones, contacts, custom ringtones, different ringtones, fremantle, individual ringtones, maemo, maemo 5, per contact ringtone, ringtone, ringtone per contact, ringtones