Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
--> Project Summary can now be found on this Wiki Page

Please everyone, feel free to help maintaining and keeping the Project Summary Wiki up-to-date

### General Information ###

--- PBAP ---

The Bluetooth Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) allows to exchange Phone Book objects between carkits and mobile devices.
Or in other words, PBAB profile gives your car unit read access to your mobile phone book...
(to be exact: to both, the phonebook stored on SIM card and the phone book stored on internal memory. But for N900 only second one is relevant).

Described in a more specific way, whenever a connection between your carkit and your PBAB enabled phone is established, your phone book will be transfered to your carkit automatically.
What happens from now with the transfered phone book of course depends on the features of your carkit.
Usual use cases are browse and dial (voice-dial if supported by carkit) your contacts and show caller names for incoming calls.
With an integrated In-Car Infotainment/Phone/Navigation/Whatever system it is even possible to use the contacts addresses as target for the navigation system.

By default N900 does NOT support PBAP and thus the in-car use cases described above are either not possible or require manual workarounds as the in other threads described "Petrovich workaround" (manual sending of vCards via Bluetooth) or OPP (Object Push Profile - A Bluetooth profile that enables a Bluetooth device to transfer (push) an object (e.g. contact) to another Bluetooth device).

Here comes the good news:
NOW YOU CAN HAVE PBAB ON YOUR N900 !!!

--- IrMC ---

This project also aims to provide IrMC support.
IrMC is another method to transfer the phone book.

### Credits ###

Credits for the achieved so far go to those who contributet in the old thread "Car kit can not access contact information",
especially the developers: drdrewusaf, tuxy, jarmo2, hschmitt, Ossman, mirakels...,
but of course also all the others who helped with testing and troubleshooting!

### Disclaimer ###

!!! CAUTION !!!
This project is still in development stage, which means there are still some risks, downsides and issues to be solved before PBAB on N900 is ready for the average user...(see below).

Please read this summary carefully and evaluate the risks involved for yourself!
(Keep in mind that this can cause problems for the phone. Backup your data, backup your config (apps > system > backup) and know how to reflash)

Whatever you do, you are doing it at your own risk!

However, if you want to have PBAB / IrMC and want to help out here -

You are more than welcome as a tester or even developer.

Of course, before you start playing with your phone, you should check if your carkit does support PBAP / IrMC. If it does not, this solution can not help you - Sorry!
(Note: Carkits older than 2007 probably do NOT support PBAP)

### Current Project Status: ###

--> Project Summary can now be found on this Wiki Page

Please everyone, feel free to help maintaining and keeping the Project Summary Wiki up-to-date

-----------------------------------------------
Please Note: The above is not based on my work! Its mostly a copy+paste summary of the brilliant job of the developers mentioned before to give the community a more convenient way to implement and enjoy PBAB / IrMC ;-) !!!

Last edited by Reflektorfalke; 2010-08-02 at 16:15.

The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Dont know if pbap causes it...
but last night i ran a apt-get upgrade and everything went fine - but the obexd-installations...
upgrade said that no upgrade at this because of wrong version. not sooo bad.
But yet i wanted to go in the shell to get the older versions of obexd... i wanted: no more shell... no more menues except the screens... and no programm-manager any more... placed a shortcut to term on desktop - but it is not working...
as said above: i dont know IF pbap-workaround causes this... but be careful...

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke View Post
[SIZE="4"]The Bluetooth Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP) allows to exchange Phone Book objects between carkits and mobile devices.

By default N900 does NOT support PBAP and thus in-car use cases like (voice-)dialing from carkit/head unit or display of caller names are not possible.
So this seems to be quite a cool addition, but I'm a bit confused about exactly what it accomplishes.

The built in BlueTooth hands-free unit in my car (2010 Mazda 3 Sport) works perfectly with the N900 already.. it can understand the contact information I transfer to it (it will distinguish between numbers stored in the N900 as 'home', 'work', 'mobile', or 'other'), and provides both numerical voice dialing for random numbers, as well as stored voice id's for any transferred contacts.

Would this allow the car to read information off the phone more dynamically?

At the moment when someone calls, there's a display on my dashboard that shows the incoming number and a voice prompt tells me someone's calling... would PBAP show me the person's name instead, having matched it up with the data in my phonebook?

A bit more information about what features this profile actually enables would be great

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bingley Joe View Post
So this seems to be quite a cool addition, but I'm a bit confused about exactly what it accomplishes.

The built in BlueTooth hands-free unit in my car (2010 Mazda 3 Sport) works perfectly with the N900 already.. it can understand the contact information I transfer to it (it will distinguish between numbers stored in the N900 as 'home', 'work', 'mobile', or 'other'), and provides both numerical voice dialing for random numbers, as well as stored voice id's for any transferred contacts.

Would this allow the car to read information off the phone more dynamically?

At the moment when someone calls, there's a display on my dashboard that shows the incoming number and a voice prompt tells me someone's calling... would PBAP show me the person's name instead, having matched it up with the data in my phone book?

A bit more information about what features this profile actually enables would be great
Sure, simply said PBAB profile gives your car unit read access to your mobile phone book...
(to be exact: to both, the phonebook stored on SIM card and the phone book stored on internal memory. But for N900 only second one is relevant).

And described in a more specific way, whenever a connection between your carkit and your PBAB enabled phone is established, your phone book will be transfered to your carkit automatically.
What happens from now with the transfered phone book of course depends on the features of your carkit.
Usual use cases are browse and dial (voice-dial if supported by carkit) your contacts and yes, it should also show caller names for incoming calls.
With an integrated In-Car Infotainment/Phone/Navigation/Whatever system it is even possible to use the contacts addresses as target for the navigation system.

As you mention that you can already transfer contacts, I assume you are using either the in other threads described "Petrovich workaround" (manual sending of vCards via Bluetooth) or something else like OPP (Object Push Profile). Even though my carkit seems to support OPP, I never used it as I don't know how ;-), but as far as I know it is also a manual way of transferring the contacts manually.

In short: Yes, you are right, PBAB allows the car to read phone book information off the phone more dynamically/automatically

Just checked the Mazda Handsfree Website.
And it seems the Mazda 3 supports PBAB phone book import defined as
Ability to transfer and store up to 1,000 names and 10,000 phone numbers in the phonebook located in your Navigation system from your cellular phonebook. The phone must support the BlueTooth Sync or PBAP Profile for this feature.
while contact import is defined as
Ability to transfer your contacts individually directly from your phone to the Mazda Handsfree system. The phone must support the Bluetooth® OPP Profile for this feature.
I hope this helps to better understand what PBAP is about...

The Following User Says Thank You to Reflektorfalke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
I hope this helps to better understand what PBAP is about...
Absolutely! I appreciate the detailed reply.

This is definitely exciting -- I can't wait to experiment when I get a bit of time to sit in the car and phone everyone I know

The Following User Says Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
Is there any way to get rid of the fake update notice?

Also, I tried the steps for uninstall it and both of them failed... What am I doing wrong...

Thanks,
Andre.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Netherlands
Thanks for the installation instruction. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the phonebook on my Audi RNS-510 (also used in Volkswagen, SEAT and Skoda). I have attached two log files, hope you find both helpfull.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rns510.zip (6.5 KB, 580 views)

Originally Posted by thofstee View Post
Thanks for the installation instruction. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the phonebook on my Audi RNS-510 (also used in Volkswagen, SEAT and Skoda). I have attached two log files, hope you find both helpfull.
Tried to take a look at your logs, but get an error "The capture file appears to have been cut short in the middle of a packet." while opening with Wireshark.
And Wireshark shows obviously only the first few packets of the connection.
Guess your connection was either disconnected or something went wrong with the dump!?
Maybe you can describe a bit more specific what you did?
Not sure if I can really help, but if one of the developers investigates your issue every information is useful to understand what the situation is...

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Netherlands
Tried to take a look at your logs, but get an error "The capture file appears to have been cut short in the middle of a packet." while opening with Wireshark.
I got the same message but I thought I might be normal. I'll create a new log tomorrow, hope that one will be better.

As for what I did... I just started my car, my N900 connected to the RNS-510 system and after about five minutes I reached my destination so I stopped the logging.

Cool! I have an aftermarket Kenwood "KCA-BT200" that claims to support PBAP. But unfortunately I just sent my N900 off for repairs. Replying to the thread so I can subscribe. I'll test when I get my unit back.

Tags
bada rox, bluetooth, carkit, contacts, irmc sync, pbap profile