Active Topics

I just an N9, what an amazing device! I have been looking through the forums and see all these tweaks I can do to the device. And I don't know which ones to install. Is there a recommended set of tweaks and updates that most everyone has? Is there a place to get apps that are not in the store? Basically, I am coming into the N9 game really late and hoping to get it running as smoothly as possible without having to spend hours going through every possible tweak, update, and patch out there.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jacksonmf For This Useful Post:
I highly suggest installing this;

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=n9-qtweak

And this;

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=fastern9

The first one has all the imaginable tweaks you can think of, including adding other non-Ovi store repositories for software.

Second link is for speeding up transitions, etc. Really does make the whole experience quicker, especially once you have a lot of applications installed. I used to have stuttering issues when scrolling up and down due to a lot of icons.. after FasterN9, it just flies.

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post:
And once you install Inception using N9QuickTweaks, you can overclock using this link:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83357&page=1

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
And then again, some people have not installed any of those tweaks, but instead prefer to have own scripts and own SW on the device, including a custom-built kernel...

It all depends on what do you want to do with your device, do you use it just as an andvanced (iDevice-like) feature phone or do you use it more like you would use a computer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Helsinki, Suomi (Finland)
Originally Posted by jacksonmf View Post
I just an N9, what an amazing device! I have been looking through the forums and see all these tweaks I can do to the device. And I don't know which ones to install. Is there a recommended set of tweaks and updates that most everyone has? Is there a place to get apps that are not in the store? Basically, I am coming into the N9 game really late and hoping to get it running as smoothly as possible without having to spend hours going through every possible tweak, update, and patch out there.
Some tweaks are tradeoffs , what you gain in one area you lose in another. Overclock the device and you might overstress the hardware and reduce it's lifespan. Use fasterN9 and the interface is smoother while multitasking performance might get worse...and so on.

You can probably find as many preferences for tweaks as there are users on this forum. And thats simply what most tweaks are. One person might want the UI behave differently from the next one.

I for myself have one phone running openmode kernel and one incepted device. If one likes to tweak the basic linux userland and system stuff (partitioning, swap usage, startup processes, shells etc.) stuff by hand, then the openmode is easier and less prone to errors. Much of that tweaking is just for fun of it and rest might be for some functinality/feature that particular user finds useful and wants to enable on the device.

If you want to overclock or add occasional user interface tweak, then Inception will suffice.

About installing apps out of store. Go to: Settings->Applications->Installation
and allow installs for non-store software.

Then just search the web for what you can find.

As a bottom line, N9 is just fine. If you feel it lacks in some area then search for some tweaks for that particular purpose apply them and see if you like it any better. Otherwise, don't worry about it and enjoy using your phone. Remember that hardware has it's limits and don't expect miracles. Harmattan is pretty impressive as it is.

Last edited by ladoga; 2013-05-11 at 06:21.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ladoga For This Useful Post:
Does anybody knows what is difference between White-3.5G & Blue-3.5G icons.
Attached Images

Originally Posted by ed00 View Post
Does anybody knows what is difference between White-3.5G & Blue-3.5G icons.
blue is when you are transmitting data. when its white, a data connection is open but not sending/receiving.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nad For This Useful Post:
Posts: 446 | Thanked: 207 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Austria/Germany
Also take a look at openrepos.net and this forum for additional apps

Hi there,

I am fairly new to the N9 too and I still couldnt figure out how to set the data connection on the phone right. Either its not connecting at all on 3G or WLAN, even in the intervall I set for example in the mail app... or it just stays connected forever.

Now that I installed Wazapp, it just got worse. If its not connected, and I come from lockscreen, the Connect tab just opens like every 2 seconds and forces me to connect, even if I have no reception for 3G...

This is like the only big letdown on the phone so far... but I have the feeling I just didnt got the options for the connections right.

There is no autoDisconnect app, like in maemo, which disconnects from mobile data connection/wlan after a specified time?

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bangalore
I find status menu Tweak to be indispensable !

Its available with N9 QTweak suggested by slaapliedje

Tags
newbie, nokia n9