Active Topics

Notices

Hey guy.

Unfortunatly i am not too clever when it comes to Xterminal and scripts nor do i have much patients for it unfortunatly.

I was wondering, i know its possible for an application in Easy Debian to have a shortcut in the main Hildon menu or desktop but it requires alot of script & useage of xterminal to get there.

Would it at all be possible for someone to qrite a simple program so that we could just select our app & it would simply make the shortcut for us?

It would be INCREDIBLY helpful and HUGELY appreciated if someone would be willing to take this on.

Thanks

Craig

Surely this is of use to more than just me?

Erm, "a lot of scripts" is just "debbie [program name] in exec part of .desktop script.

So, it's exactly same shortcut as for every Maemo program, yet, You put "debbie " before name of ED program. Doesn't sound to be very complicated, eh?

Of course, such program need to be first installed in ED.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Erm, "a lot of scripts" is just "debbie [program name] in exec part of .desktop script.

So, it's exactly same shortcut as for every Maemo program, yet, You put "debbie " before name of ED program. Doesn't sound to be very complicated, eh?

Of course, such program need to be first installed in ED.

/Estel
Sorry i should have been more clear.

I am not a fan of sing Xterm for everything, i just find it really tedious (guess i was born in the new age of GUI)

What i was after is a program that will make an Icon shortcut in the main menu rather than having to remember all the application names (and associated file name of each) to open it with Deddie command.

Hope this is a bit clearer.

Thanks

Craig

Once a script/programme/etc. is executable, how different is creating a shortcut in ED compare with normal desktop Debian (that I use on a daily basis, albeit as a complete novice)? Also, I think there's a section specifically for what you're asking in the ED wiki; I know the servers are being dodgy this weekend, so look tomorrow.

I see both sides of the argument here. Using the terminal can be quite daunting. On the other hand, the advantage of using the terminal is to automate processes. It's all about the programming principle of "write one, read many" - in this case read ≡ run.

At first, this will seem counter-intuitive because of the effort required to create the automation but a small amount of terminal can go a very long way. Also, you know saying things like this won't wash:
guess i was born in the new age of GUI
it sounds like "I don't know what to do and won't bother finding out how" - we'll help, even show you how to do things, but you gotta do them yourself.

It's not quite clear what you want to do. Are you trying to start a Maemo programme in the chroot? Or are you trying to run an ED programme? Or do you want a shortcut to the Maemo applications menu?

Originally Posted by demolition View Post
Once a script/programme/etc. is executable, how different is creating a shortcut in ED compare with normal desktop Debian (that I use on a daily basis, albeit as a complete novice)? Also, I think there's a section specifically for what you're asking in the ED wiki; I know the servers are being dodgy this weekend, so look tomorrow.

I see both sides of the argument here. Using the terminal can be quite daunting. On the other hand, the advantage of using the terminal is to automate processes. It's all about the programming principle of "write one, read many" - in this case read ≡ run.

At first, this will seem counter-intuitive because of the effort required to create the automation but a small amount of terminal can go a very long way. Also, you know saying things like this won't wash:
it sounds like "I don't know what to do and won't bother finding out how" - we'll help, even show you how to do things, but you gotta do them yourself.

It's not quite clear what you want to do. Are you trying to start a Maemo programme in the chroot? Or are you trying to run an ED programme? Or do you want a shortcut to the Maemo applications menu?
Thanks for the reply.

I'm not trying to wash anything away, although i'm not really a novice when it comes to computers, my main issue is remembering all the different commands.

I have attempted to use linux as a desktop OS at least a dozen times in the last 4 years or so but it just baffles me...

Although i do try i guenuinly have great difficulty with text and learning with it (this is not an excuse i do try incredibly hard to learn to the point it gets me stressed but its really hard for me) especially remember commands and reading too i struggle with.

I know a few basic commands but i get stuck easy on trouble shooting or when commands are not correct and when errors come up too what they mean and how to face them.

I'm not sure what ED is?

Let me give you an example of what i am trying to acheive(but not neciserserally what i will do):

I want to run Gimp(first app that popped in my head) I would go to the Xterminal (in maemo) and type debbie gimp.

Thats easy enough, but for ease of interaction i would much much prefer an icon to click to do the same thing,
I asked this a good while back(maybe 12 months or so) and someone said it was doable by placing certing files in certin areas and associating an icon image to it etc.

What i am after is a program with a GUI that i could for example:

Select which app i want
Add an icon image
Place the shortcut in the menu

Granted to go into Xterm (or even LXDE and just find and open) is not that difficult but remembering file names (since some file names dont directly link to the name of the program) of each is really hard for me.

Now i know your asking why, well again its just the pleasure of making life easier and interaction.

Lets say i wanted a media program and i'm riding my bike, its easier to have the app open in maemo than it is to faff with LXDE to find it and change a track, plus its much easier (in my opinion & use) to switch apps by just pressing CTRL + back space...

I guess what i'm getting at really is i want the maemo interface but for the LXDE/Easy debian applications.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, if the community feels what i am asking is absurd i will accept that & will ask no further, this is just somthing that would make my life that little bit better & just another thing to make my N900 that much cooler

Thanks in advance

Craig

Still no interest?

Should i just accept this cannot be done or?

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by CraigRobbo View Post
Still no interest?

Should i just accept this cannot be done or?
No one can decide for you what you should accept or not. But that it can't be done is utter nonsense. It was just explained to you in detail, bij Estel, how it should be done. I don't think you'll generate a lot of interest for a program to automate it, because the task itself is so trivial that it seems like a waste of time to write an abstraction and a GUI for it.

If you feel Estel's info wasn't good enough, I'd advice you to use google and do some research before attempting anything else. Also, it could be usefull to look into "tab-completion" for the terminal.

Thanks for that.

Maybe its just me but i just cannot remember all the commands & file names just feels a bit tedious to have to write a command everytime you want to open an application - Just feels very 'dos like'

I love this phone and would rather not goto android but unfortunatly i'm just not good enough to use terminal the way it should be... I just cannot remember all the things & file names, almost seems like a chore than a plesure to have the phone sometimes

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Try using scm (shortcut maker)

Projects no longer actively developed: here