Notices

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Yet, the question remains - do these developers form communities?
I doubt so.

Last edited by smoku; 2010-05-19 at 22:14.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
Right, the original question had nothing to do with the speed at which applications are developed or the number of developers, but more the ecosystem in which applications are incubated. Here, there just seems to be an organic feel to the programs developed. I didn't know if things were similar on the Android or IPhone front, or if people just waited on apps to spring into existence.

Thanks for the constructive answers so far (those that are in fact constructive).

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
In the iPhone circles... I'd say no outside of the Unity3D circles. Those guys are a tremendous network willing to help out others and some serious games have come from that platform.

It was looking like the Adobe sector was gearing up for the same thing with Flash CS5 being able to output for the iPhone OS; however we all know how that ended.

The bad thing about the iTunes Store ecosystem though is that if you share an idea publicly, somebody will take it, give you zero credit and monetize it and make money off of your idea. To me, that's why I like Maemo better... at least it's a community of folks willing to share the credit and the ideas... and work load.

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Yea... I am young here but I don't remember when I saw the community like that last time, such active and a so much fun around,

I can't disagree in this case "Nokia connecting people", seems to be true

It could also be the fact that most of the app ideas or features lacking on the Nokias are simply already available on the Iphone/Android OS. You really do not need to make requests for features or applications if they already exist on the platform. As noted earlier, the dev tools and obstacles seem to be lower in the walled garden that is IphoneOS. That being said, the amount of apps available, while a lot being useless or a gimmick, are there. Is there an application/tool that exists on the Nokia that does not have a functional cousin on the android/IphoneOS? Now ask yourself the same question in reverse. The community and requests exist because the shear amount of functional apps just do not exist. Blame the number of users and developers, whatever you want. But the only way to get users and Devs is to have a product that people want, and expand the OS in usability instead of scrapping the OS and starting new every few years. Diablo cant upgrade to Fremantle, Fremantle might not go to Meego.... By doing this you are splitting the already stretched out Devs, and making them either stretch further, or simply abandon an OS to make for the latest and greatest thing out.

Last edited by mrdally204; 2010-05-19 at 19:59.

Originally Posted by aspidites View Post
Right, the original question had nothing to do with the speed at which applications are developed or the number of developers, but more the ecosystem in which applications are incubated.
I have difficulty separating these from each other, but my apologies for being de-constructive in your thread.

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 229 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Missouri, USA
I would like to note that being constructive has nothing to do with having an opinion that differs from the OP. My comment wasnt directed toward you kojacker.

To try and help clarify, Im trying to find out if andoid users and iphone users are as collaborative as we are when it comes to ideas evolving into real applications. Kind of like maesheep maegym and maecalories did.

No one is disputing the fact that the platform lacks cohesive documentation or polished tools- though the qt sdk might be a good start.