Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Just a few notes:

Yes, there are plenty of used ones. Just check Finnish resell websites (like huuto.net) - last time I checked (few months ago), you could get one for less than 100EUR. I don't live anywhere near Finland, but sending it to other countries was no problem.
I'm not Finnish and I do not speak Finnish, so this option doesn;t really help. I checked here and on ebay. Nothing there.

Just a few notes:

Yes, there is. I am now happily using two batteries in my Jolla and I'm thinking of getting a 3rd one. The new one was for under 10EUR and it works better than the current official one (as it is brand new, unlike the other one).
It is not official, so I do not care. There's no warranty with that one. Would you replace my broken phone due to battery problems? Jolla will definitely not.

Just a few notes:

Good luck with that choice. It wouldn't be me first - or even a second or third - choice because of Ubuntu Touch (many, many reasons why not) and the lack of 4G. If not for another Jolla, I would go for the Nexus 4/5 and run either SailfishOS, LuneOS, or Plasma Phone on it.
I do not care about 4g and all of your named options are nothing more than alpha, some ony exist only as mockups (Plasma) anf ar far from being used..

Canonical and their attitude towards the rest of the Linux/FOSS world. This is one good example. I do not want to support such attitude.
True, but the TRULY OPEN SailfishOS is also still missing.

Mir (related to the previous point)
yes

No multitasking
I do not really care about that. Any use cases?

Unintuitive design (I am complaining about SailfishOS 2.0, but that's nothing compared to UT's side and bottom swipes).
I'll see
Alarm doesn't go off when the phone is turned off.
Never used the alarm function on any of my phones

The focus on Web apps and its effect on the native app
situation.
Is there? QML, etc. are also going in this direction. Whats the difference?

Last time I heard, it was nowhere near the functionality completion or optimization of SailfishOS.
Sounds like speculation

After the Ubuntu Edge con and the issue with Ubuntu (Desktop) automatically sending your searches to Amazon for search suggestions, I wouldn't rely on it for my data/privacy
I will look into that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
i can confirm that even on nexus 5 ubunti is so far to be optimized..but his ui is not bad,but is nice, organized in scopes, even if i prefer much more sailfish os' one...many apps are only local version of site.. multitasking is not absolutely necessary but is beautiful and could be useful for example when i open some webpage i make other things when i am waiting it loads.

i really prefer behaviour of sailfish jolla wich,even if not open source completely, about core and other than ui components truly give an hand to oss. neither jolla neither canonical seem to be perfect under this field, however,for different matters

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
I personally pay more for a jolla device than shitty android devices and the reason is simple:

Jolla can not compete will big manufacturers with lower prices. I am sure you are not ripped off by Jolla. It is probably the other way around. Not sure investors has got all money back from selling the phones yet.
it is not an acceptable compromise. compete or die.

they managed to provide good value with the tablet, it is as expesnive as an ipad mini but the spec and quaility merit it. i bought one.

the phone is simply inadequate for the price listed. that simple.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
the phone is simply inadequate for the price listed. that simple.
Just bought a shine new Stella Jolla 12 days ago and got the FatEggs delivery notice for Tomorrow
I see a big chunk of the 250€ pricetag to be a support in Software development!
When the "Out of Stock" notice appeard in Shop somewhen in beginning of September i nearly got a heartattack from a vision of Jolla not beeing able to supply any phone next year to replace my dying 12/13 Jolla.
I rushed to "check out" when it was marked available again some days later.
Stella now makes my TOH collection complete, my girls will love it
Ah, yes beside the obvious brag i just wanted to confirm they still seem to deliver.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
it is not an acceptable compromise. compete or die.
You're absolutely right, no electronics hardware company can possibly sell their hardware at a higher price than the competition and survive. People will always buy the cheapest hardware available, because there's no other difference between the devices that hardware companies make other than the hardware itself. Gosh, I can't believe Jolla really considers itself a proper mobile device manufacturing company.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
...my dying 12/13 Jolla.
Come to think of it, that is not a very good advertisements. Not quite even 2 years old yet and already "dying"? That's actually pretty bad if you ask me. All my N900s are still going strong with no sign of dying. The Treo 600 I had before I used for 9 years and, even though it had suffered some knocks and bruises, it is still going strong. As are some devices in my museum (Sharp PC-1500, HP-90LX, HP-200LX...).

A barely 2 years old device dying? Not good. Not good at all.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
250 € for jolla, I can get 2 yu yureka plus phones for the same price. well intex phone with sailfish os is on its way and I will buy it . it will be out in a month or two. its intex so it will be cheap but the only down side is the cheap build quality.

The Following User Says Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
I am working in a kitchen... N900s lastet 1/2 year each, i had 3 in a row, two of them completely smashed.

Jolla hit the tile floor so often i can not count anymore, so it is quite the opposite
No need to take my special usecase to scale on general longlivity of jolla. But yes, better to explain with a picture:

Last edited by mosen; 2015-09-20 at 14:20.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
I see a big chunk of the 250€ pricetag to be a support in Software development!
Same here. I would like to see it as 80 Euro Sailfish OS + 170 Euro Jolla hardware.

Good software does not need to be given for free (even if it were open source)

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla phone