Notices

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I get a warning message from Tor suggesting I use socks4a to conceal more info.

The warning pops up too often. How do I get rid of it? I've looked in config files but haven't understood.

How would I switch to socks4a? I changed one setting, but still get the warning.

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by MarkTrade View Post
Is it possible to use tor with maemo 4.1 (diabolo). I'm thinking about buying a n810....
The Tor daemon does work on n810. The status area applet has to be ported to a status bar applet, though.

Originally Posted by MarkTrade View Post
Are there plans bringing tor to meego in the future?
Yes, I'm waiting for a reasonable handset SDK release.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I get a warning message from Tor suggesting I use socks4a to conceal more info.
This entry in the Tor FAQ has more information about the warning.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
The warning pops up too often. How do I get rid of it? I've looked in config files but haven't understood.

How would I switch to socks4a? I changed one setting, but still get the warning.
Which applications are you using that cause these messages to pop up?

Hi,

Tor Status Area Applet 0.0.6-1 is unlocked for promotion. Do you consider promoting it to Extras?
Maybe you have some thoughts on this brainstorm:
Many tested apps in Extras-testing are not promoted timely

Originally Posted by Dunsurfin View Post
pH5,

Thank you. That worked for me. For anyone else attempting to try the same thing here is what I did:

1: Installed rootsh (from extras http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/rootsh/)

2: In the Command Line, typed "sudo gainroot"

3: Navigated to /etc/tor/torrc

4: Copied torrc to my home directory

5: Edited torrc in my home directory with Leafpad (text editor)

6: Added theses 2 lines to end of the file:

ExitNodes server1, server2, server3
StrictExitNodes 1

7: Replaced server1, server2 and server 3 with UK exit nodes (found from http://proxy.org/tor.shtml)

8: Saved torrc

9: Copied torrc back to /etc/tor/torrc

Everything worked!

It would be nice if there was a way to edit the config file from the Tor Applet, but hopefully the exit nodes do not change too frequently.

Thanks again for your help.
please how do i navigate to /etc/tor/torrc ?
i have rootsh installed i typed sudo gainroot but when i type /etc/tor/torrc i get permission denied. pleae help

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 375 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Berlin
Originally Posted by hschmitt View Post
Tor Status Area Applet 0.0.6-1 is unlocked for promotion. Do you consider promoting it to Extras?
Thanks for the reminder.

Originally Posted by hschmitt View Post
Maybe you have some thoughts on this brainstorm:
Many tested apps in Extras-testing are not promoted timely
Voted #5

Originally Posted by dekin View Post
please how do i navigate to /etc/tor/torrc ?
i have rootsh installed i typed sudo gainroot but when i type /etc/tor/torrc i get permission denied. pleae help
You could copy it to your home directory with cp:
Code:
cp /etc/tor/torrc /home/user/MyDocs/torrc

Originally Posted by
You could copy it to your home directory with cp:
[CODE
cp /etc/tor/torrc /home/user/MyDocs/torrc[/CODE]
thanx for this. i am realy grateful. however how do i transfer it back to the tor folder after editing on it?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Slovakia
when you type "/etc/tor/torrc" it says premission denied because you are trying to execute the torrrc file. you have to type
Code:
vi /etc/tor/torrc
than press "a" key to start editting the file. You can than save it by pressing Esc, and write :wq (which will save the changes to the original file and exit the vi)

If you are unfamiliar with vi editor, you can install nano (much easier, I am using it too)

However, if you want to edit the file in your home direcotry with some GUI text editor, you can. You can copy ti back by executing
Code:
cp /home/user/MyDocs/torrc /etc/tor/torrc
(same like previous command, but backward. Makes sense isn't it?)

Does anyone know if Tor can be used with browsers other than the built-in Browserd?

I would like to use Tor with FIrefox or Opera, but it appears Tor only works with the built-in browser (while Tor is on if you go a a page using Opera or Firefix you will be connected directly, not via Tor). Perhaps there are comoand line switches on Opera or Firefox which can be used to enable the browsing via the SOCKS connection, which is required for Tor? (it can probably be done via the about:config connection settings, but that is a major pain, a command-line switch would be a lot easier).

For example, if you use the text-based browser called Links installed on the N900 all you would do is type at the command line

Code:
"links www.whatismyip.org -socks-proxy 127.0.0.1:9050"
and you will browse via Tor (as long as it's enabled and connected).

Is there anything similar for Opera or Firefox?

Last edited by mail_e36; 2010-11-12 at 16:39.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
Does anyone know if Tor can be used with browsers other than the built-in Browserd?

I would like to use Tor with FIrefox or Opera, but it appears Tor only works with the built-in browser (while Tor is on if you go a a page using Opera or Firefix you will be connected directly, not via Tor). Perhaps there are comoand line switches on Opera or Firefox which can be used to enable the browsing via the SOCKS connection, which is required for Tor?
In firefox you can go to about:config where there are proxy options somewhere, IIRC.

Please see my revised post at

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...655#post871655

Originally Posted by ToJa92 View Post
In firefox you can go to about:config where there are proxy options somewhere, IIRC.

Tags
"tor story"