Posts: 185 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Veitshöchheim, Germany
I dont know why there is nothing set as sticky but i would recommend to put a note here, that atp-get commands can/will brick your phone easily. You could do it with N900 (i never had problems with that) but one atp-get upgrade brought my N9 straight to Nokia Care. I heard of others with the same problem. Maybe this really should be made sticky as i guess that a lot of people wanna update their device via console.

Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
Originally Posted by tebsu View Post
I dont know why there is nothing set as sticky but i would recommend to put a note here, that atp-get commands can/will brick your phone easily. You could do it with N900 (i never had problems with that) but one atp-get upgrade brought my N9 straight to Nokia Care. I heard of others with the same problem. Maybe this really should be made sticky as i guess that a lot of people wanna update their device via console.
I use apt-get update all the time and nothing has happened to my N9 yet....

Can you explain what you did that caused your phone to not work right?

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

i used apt-get update without problems, i used apt-get upgrade which broke some apps and the fatal one was apt-get dist-upgrade

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
i used apt-get update without problems, i used apt-get upgrade which broke some apps and the fatal one was apt-get dist-upgrade
You can break any Linux installation with dist-upgrade.
"apt-get update" and "apt-get install" are safe, though.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
oh okay, well you have to know that i am not a server administrator like a lot of N900/N9 owners. i am just a php developer who likes to be up to date at any time (even if doing updates on servers is something you shouldnt do anyway if you dont know what those updates do, someone said to me). i just say that here because i guess i am not the only silly wannabe administrator

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
just read apt promt before typing YES

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
N900 probably also dies with dist-upgrade.

At least mine did when I tested it twice at the same time: first and the last...
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
oh okay, well you have to know that i am not a server administrator like a lot of N900/N9 owners. i am just a php developer who likes to be up to date at any time (even if doing updates on servers is something you shouldnt do anyway if you dont know what those updates do, someone said to me). i just say that here because i guess i am not the only silly wannabe administrator
I'm not a server administrator... Far from it, yeah I'd never use apt-get dist-upgrade.

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

The Following User Says Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
Yeah, dist-upgrade can break things if repositories aren't kept in consistent state always. Before doing apt-get dist-upgrade (if you really need to), try doing apt-get upgrade, check which packages are "kept back", and before confirming apt-get dist-upgrade check always what is being removed. Make sure it doesn't remove half of your system or any essential packages in the process

Originally Posted by Arie View Post
I'm not a server administrator... Far from it, yeah I'd never use apt-get dist-upgrade.
It's good for rolling distros like Debian testing for example and I use it on desktop all the time, with some reservations though (as described above).

Last edited by shmerl; 2012-02-12 at 22:51.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
actually gui(app manager for certain OS) does the same, it's not the magic it does to update but the same apt-get update, so it's problem on you end