Notices

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
Garr. my favorite roundabout in Viet Nam's not showing up in any map completely.

It's got 7 main streets coming off of it.

Speaking of Viet Nam, my Vietnamese translation (vi_VN) of the GPS directions should be done tomorrow. (I got exams this whole week...)
lol I still haven't start Cambodian language pack yet. May be sometimes this weekend I hope.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Hi!

I couldn't find any better thread, so I'll just ask here:

I've just downloaded Mappero and it looks very promising. I've got one question about its basic usage.

The best way that I could use a mobile GPS is for searching for a certain location on the map.
Unfortunately, I usually don't have an internet connection on the go.

Is Mappero able to search for addresses on the map while I'm offline?
I would very much welcome such a feature. (This is the thing I miss from Ovi Maps also.)

The Following User Says Thank You to Venemo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Hi!

I couldn't find any better thread, so I'll just ask here:

I've just downloaded Mappero and it looks very promising. I've got one question about its basic usage.

The best way that I could use a mobile GPS is for searching for a certain location on the map.
Unfortunately, I usually don't have an internet connection on the go.

Is Mappero able to search for addresses on the map while I'm offline?
I would very much welcome such a feature. (This is the thing I miss from Ovi Maps also.)
No, I just tried it. You can't search for a route while offline since it has to go through a router (e.g. Google) to get the directions, but, say, before you leave, you can search up the directions on Wi-Fi and save (as in the function save, not just leaving it on) it for later use.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Originally Posted by xomm View Post
before you leave, you can search up the directions on Wi-Fi and save (as in the function save, not just leaving it on) it for later use.
This is true, but most of the time I don't know where exactly I have to go when I'm leaving.

There's one small problem, though. Even with the volume maxed out, it's not very loud in the car. Is there a way to increase the volume?
I just found a solution. I noticed that I could redirect the GPS sound to the car radio with FM Transmitter. I can thus increase the volume level with the car system. It's perfect.

I will test if I can both use Mappero and Media Player. If it works, that could be very cool (it will drain the battery pretty fast, though, I reckon...).

Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
Originally Posted by Stamm View Post
I just found a solution. I noticed that I could redirect the GPS sound to the car radio with FM Transmitter. I can thus increase the volume level with the car system. It's perfect.

I will test if I can both use Mappero and Media Player. If it works, that could be very cool (it will drain the battery pretty fast, though, I reckon...).
It doesn't work at the same time for me. Perhaps that could be a future enhancement - the media player should pause when a voice indication is active.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
While I like the speech options, I really did like the old version that just piped output via a command call to flite (or eSpeak). Would it be possible to re-enable that option for those of us that prefer the older style?

"Turn right" is great, but even a robotic voice of "Turn right onto Culver Ave" is often better when I'm focusing on driving. Even if it mangles the name, I can make good guess out of say Monroe, Culver and Brooks which street I want.

Could there just be a radio-button option? Use clear speech, or use eSpeak?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Los Angeles
good en_us sound file!

am i the only one who prefers "continue forward"?
thats one of my pet peeves :P
when did "straight" become a direction?
thats worse than when people need instructions but ask for "directions" and vice versa.
guess those things dont really matter. but they bug me lol
i suppose my lack of caps usage and random punctuation usage might bother some people too lol

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Los Angeles
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
While I like the speech options, I really did like the old version that just piped output via a command call to flite (or eSpeak). Would it be possible to re-enable that option for those of us that prefer the older style?

"Turn right" is great, but even a robotic voice of "Turn right onto Culver Ave" is often better when I'm focusing on driving. Even if it mangles the name, I can make good guess out of say Monroe, Culver and Brooks which street I want.

Could there just be a radio-button option? Use clear speech, or use eSpeak?
i agree
good suggestion

The Following User Says Thank You to youngcalihottie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
Originally Posted by youngcalihottie View Post
good en_us sound file!

am i the only one who prefers "continue forward"?
thats one of my pet peeves :P
when did "straight" become a direction?
thats worse than when people need instructions but ask for "directions" and vice versa.
guess those things dont really matter. but they bug me lol
i suppose my lack of caps usage and random punctuation usage might bother some people too lol
"Continue Straight" translates better to most languages than "Continue Forward." In Vietnamese, for example, "Continue Forward" makes no grammatical sense.

Although I definitely think "Forward" is a lot more common in the US.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Tags
mappero, navigation