Active Topics

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
my ipad is awesome, the os works perfect, no scrolling issues that are all over my n900, id just like to see nokia make something that works the same, but im afraid meego wont be ready for a long time yet, i thought about buying a galaxy tab for about 10 seconds, but had scrolling problems for the 10 seconds i played with it, if apple can do it then its unacceptable for anyone else to not do it right,
this is why were not gonna see the n9 until its actually ready but by then i think its gonna be too late

Dream Specs can be ... dreamt freely. How about a star-war-like 3D laser transmitter that display the caller in front of you, and you can shake hands too.

But before dreaming, can anyone describe how advanced Meego is over Maemo5. I remembered using Windows XP, and then Microsoft introduced a "complete revolution and advance" OS called Windows Vista.

1) Multi touch screen that works with a passive stylus (I do not care if this is capacitive, resistive, or unicornium)
2) AGPS, Compass, Gyroscope
3) Tegra 2 (or at least dual core ARM anything, with an nvidia graphics package, so we'll get vdpau - which means mplayer et all will Just Work with acceleration)
4) 1GB RAM + 8 hours active use battery. RAM and battery life are pretty intrinsicly linked, so one may have to compromise the other - battery wins I reckon.
5) 720p screen + 8 hours active use battery. Video and battery are linked of course too
6) A *good* pdf reader. Goddamn it.
7) 32GB internal, 64GB SD
8) Bluetooth, wifi n, 3G (and can be networked for 24 hours without compromising the 8 hour active use wish above - ie I want my IM availability to be "Online" if the tablet is turned on)
9) Open hardware. So we can install Android on it without the nitdroid team having such a battle. And install Windows-ARM on it should we be stupid enough. Open you hear me? Everything submitted upstream to Linus.
9) Dual cameras.
10) An email client that covers the basics - multiple identities, multiple or merged inboxes, per-folder optional notifications, imap-idle
11) Flash
12) etc

The Following User Says Thank You to paulkoan For This Useful Post:
Imo the kind talk like 2GB of ram and 3.2hgz proc is useless as far as the UI speed goes.
Ipad got 1ghz mobile phone proc that is close relative of Samsungs hummingbird. Ipad also got 256mb of ram and it's the smoothest tablet in the market.
Tough i agree that something like U8500 or OMAP4 would bring HDMI out ports that are able to push 1080 out of the phone and things like that that the cortex A8 side can't do.

- 9" capacitive screen and the quality of the screen is crucial. Good example is G Tablet where you got tegra 2, HDMI out port and cool stuff like that but non of that matters with the horrible screen.
- Some dual core ARM
- Don't care about camera really, but if they go so far and put one inside then i would expect at least something like N95 camera rather than some random 1.3mpx VGA camera.
- Aluminium and thin.
- 6h or more of heavy usage out of it.
- MeeGo tablet UX pre-alpha looks.
- 64GB of storage at least with microsd or not.

Something like that out from a manufacturer that got some size next year and i'm happy to pay ~800 euros from it.

7-9" screen and the nvidia tegra chip would be awesome, but sadly, I doubt any meego devices will come out on anything other than an intel atom chip, since it(meego) is also intel's baby

Originally Posted by Umlungu View Post
7-9" screen and the nvidia tegra chip would be awesome, but sadly, I doubt any meego devices will come out on anything other than an intel atom chip, since it(meego) is also intel's baby
That's not really true. MeeGo got it's ARM reference platforms like U8500 and MeeGo is open.
Any manufacturer can use X86 or ARM depending on what they want, it's up to them. Example with Nokia's case their MeeGo phones will be using ARM simply because Moorestown is still far from competing with ARM on mobile phones.

but the problem is that when the meego tablet will be released the specs of that will be out of date at that time.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
never really got why ppl want top notch cameras on a tablet
as tablets are used mostly in your house not like you need to be taking pro quality shots from your office or sofa
it just drives up cost for no practical reason

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
never really got why ppl want top notch cameras on a tablet
as tablets are used mostly in your house not like you need to be taking pro quality shots from your office or sofa
it just drives up cost for no practical reason
the more all in one u have the more its good

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by Farooq View Post
the more all in one u have the more its good
and the more parts of your all in one go unused

Ever heard the Phrase
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-12-28 at 08:33.