Active Topics

Notices

Update 24.7.2013:
0.3.6 is now available; changes:
* honors sky_locale / app_locale settings in ~/.stellarium-n9/config.ini (no GUI yet, it only works for locales supported by the device)

--------

Hello!

Stellarium N9 0.3.5 is now available for download at http://thelarge.org/stellarium-n9 .

This release brings a custom algorithm for better filtering when in freelook mode. I tried several techniques and I guess there are limitations on what can be done without a gyroscope, but overall, I am quite pleased with the results. I'd recommend trying the free look mode together with turning off all the labels, the ground and the atmosphere for a perfect space-walk feeling, zooming around clusters, nebuale and all the star stuff that is out there.

There is also a handful of minor fixes and additions: a new startup page, icon, fixed date time format and a button for clearing selection. Most likely there are also new bugs that I am not yet aware of. Happy holiday season.

Cheers,
Marko

---

Stellarium N9 is a free open source planetarium software for Nokia N9 that shows exactly what you see when you look up at the stars. It is a port of the awesome Stellarium (version 0.11.4).

To avoid confusion, please note, that Stellarium N9 is not in any way associated with Stellarium app (by Elemental) that is available in Nokia OVI store.

N9 Specific Features
  • Redesigned graphical user interface using native QML components.
  • Free look based on magnetometer/accelerometer sensors.
  • Pinch zoom.
  • GFX optimizations (text rendering, removed CPU-hungry extinction, decreased atmophere sky resolution)

OVI Store (paid app): http://store.ovi.com/content/341175

DEBs and sources: http://thelarge.org/stellarium-n9

Last edited by Marko_StelN9; 2013-07-24 at 11:24.

Originally Posted by Marko_StelN9 View Post
Stellarium N9 0.3.3 is now available for download
Two days after I installed 0.3.2. Bloody typical

Originally Posted by Marko_StelN9 View Post
a button for clearing selection
Are you clairvoyant? I was just about to complain about that one missing.

Anyway: THANKS! Much appreciated!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to hw9xx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 335 | Thanked: 285 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Trento, Italy
Cool work can't wait for the summer so I can try this outside without getting frost XD

Posts: 491 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Pordenone IT
what are the differencies with this http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82038 ?

The Following User Says Thank You to lorenzo For This Useful Post:
This version is much more finger friendly (UI is touch optimised).

This is awesome, probably the app I miss most on the N9. It's great to have a properly functional sky viewing app.

1. I notice location settings can only be set by searching. Would it possible to get it using GPS?
2. In the free look mode, when you search for an object, it doesn't do anything. Can you disable free look for, pan to the searched object, and then enable free look on say a screen tap? Alternately, put arrows on the sides of the screen to indicate which way to look to find the object?

Also, kudos on making it open source. Donated and thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to stats0 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by stats0 View Post
1. I notice location settings can only be set by searching. Would it possible to get it using GPS?
2. In the free look mode, when you search for an object, it doesn't do anything. Can you disable free look for, pan to the searched object, and then enable free look on say a screen tap? Alternately, put arrows on the sides of the screen to indicate which way to look to find the object?
ad 1: While it is really easy to add GPS positioning in QML, it has also been somewhat low priority. Location setup in general needs quite some work still. For example, it is not possible to edit and save locations right now. When I get on to it, I'll probably add GPS positioning too.

ad 2: Yeah, freelook overriedes all other things that would move the viewport. The design you describe, seems like a very good idea, however it is not trivial to implement and there would be quite some work involved. But I'll keep your suggeststion in mind if I get on with this kind of modifications. As an alternative solution to help you locating the objetcs, you could turn on the constelation lines and labels and then navigate by eye.

Thanks

Would it be possible to have a full-screen mode that makes the button bar and most of the other info disappear? I'd vote for only showing FOV (which is useful info) and a back-button in a corner.

edit: or put a switch in the menu and show menu button and FOV only.

Last edited by hw9xx; 2012-12-28 at 10:32.

Posts: 368 | Thanked: 826 times | Joined on May 2012 @ India
In case you look for some new features, here's an idea ..
Two finger rotation to forward/rewind time

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bibek For This Useful Post:
Is anyone else having a problem installing version 0.3.3? I am getting a gzip error and would appreciate any advice.

I have attached the screenshot of the failed install attempt .

Happy New Year!

EDIT: SOLVED. I erased both versions (0.3.2 and 0.3.3); I rebooted; and then I reinstalled version 0.3.2. and then version 0.3.3.

Name:  Screen_01-Jan-13_01-56-28.jpg
Views: 1760
Size:  21.0 KB

Last edited by Hacker; 2013-01-02 at 01:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hacker For This Useful Post: