Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ torino - italia
Hallo everybody,
after spending several hours googleing in english I'm becoming crazy. So I decided to write here...

I have experienced windows for 2 decades and I decided start Linux for many reasons. Once is I found very usefull do quite everything passing through the "command line interface".

One week ago I buyed an N900 thinking to do same thing but...
I can't find a way to work with "cal" and "calendar" commands. My skill is update a text file of my recurrence and so on and check it some time with that "calendar". Also tried "cron" but device tell me "not found"

Have anyone an idea? Thanks.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
cal is a command line application that displays a calendar. It is not very useful for tracking events and appointments.

cron is a job scheduler. It runs a particular command at a particular time.

If you are interested in keeping events on your N900, you may want to use the built in calendar.

Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
... you may want to use the built in calendar.
I guess it is the main calendar and works thrugh a GUI..but can I see the file(s) where this program stores my entries?

try command via dbus, surely the calender will be available on dbus

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
....calender will be available on dbus
assuming this is the simplest way to continue using command like cal or cron I'm not sure on how to use the dbus. have I to install it? can you give me a simple example on using it?

I tried to understand more on google but I find quite incomprehensible. need also to identificate the processor's architecture of my N900?:
http://packages.debian.org/it/sid/python-dbus

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by davide View Post
I guess it is the main calendar and works thrugh a GUI..but can I see the file(s) where this program stores my entries?
Yes, you can. It's stored in /home/user/.calendar/calendardb. It's an sqlite3 database. You may inspect it on your PC using a tool like Sqliteman.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gidoca For This Useful Post:
thanks, your post was useful but do you know if there is a way to "import" (old or unuseful?) unix commands in maemo?

Posts: 36 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
If you mean "installing" under "importing", yes, you can add various repositories to the package manager and you can install the applications provided by these sources. Some people had success installing applications from Debian repositories, but beware, package dependencies are not for the light hearted, and you can get into trouble when fiddling with system packages. You can read about additional repositories here: http://wiki.maemo.org/Extras

thanks everybody for advices. now i need try to find a way avoiding trouble as I can!
Cheers.

slightly off topic, does anyone know where the calendar dbus api documentation is?