i've came up with an idea for my N900. before my N900 i've had de N78, both phones have a FM transmitter that i often use.

but the FM frequencies are a bit crowded. sometimes it's hard to find a good free frequency. but when you're driving somewhere you may come across other transmitters, then you need to find a new frequency.

but i've came up with an idea;
what if there was an application that scanned the frequencies using the FM radio app and logged where there are radio stations and where there is only static.
it then gives a empty frequency to the FM transmitter app.

i really hope something like this exists or that someone wants to pick up on this project. because i hate changing the frequency every time.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oddish2211 For This Useful Post:
Good idea, however you always transmit to a radio, so usually you can easily find an empty frequency with this radio, and then set the transmiter to it.

Originally Posted by R.Habrat View Post
Good idea, however you always transmit to a radio, so usually you can easily find an empty frequency with this radio, and then set the transmiter to it.
yes, but in my case, on my radio are 2 push buttons and not a small knob so i have to cycle through the whole band. and sometimes when i thought i had found a free channel and fired my N900 up it still wasn't a good channel, much interference from another transmitter.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Habrat, changing channel while driving???? It sounds crazy, I don't want to commit suicide!
And no, it's no easy to find all-time-free channels if you drive every day two houndred kilometers crossing valleys, mountains and cities.
The idea of Oddish is great!

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by rpgAmazon View Post
Habrat, changing channel while driving???? It sounds crazy, I don't want to commit suicide!
And no, it's no easy to find all-time-free channels if you drive every day two houndred kilometers crossing valleys, mountains and cities.
The idea of Oddish is great!
In addition, my radio doesn't have manual tuning so it's hard to tell where the free frequencies are without paying quite a bit of attention. Certainly not while driving...

If the N900 could automatically pick the frequency which was furthest from any detected station, it'd be a huge help.

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lagos, Nigeria
My FM transmitter is utterly useles! It never transmits nothing no matter how hard I try...pls can anyone direct me to a thread to sort out this problem? I done downloaded fm boost...no luck still!

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
As far as I remember, in order for the N900 to pick up radio transmission, it has to have the headphones connected - no?
So, in order for this idea to work, you'll have to first connect the headphones to the N900, allow it to scan frequencies and do his thing (find an "empty" frequency), and then disconnect the headphones and activate the FM transmitter... Do you ALWAYS drive your car with your headphones somewhere with you? because if you don't, you can't use this type of function...
In addition, as far as I know the N900 RECEIVER is significantly less capable than an ordinary car's receiver, so normally stations that will be picked easily by your car's radio will not be picked as much as easily (or even - not at all) with your N900.

Nevertheless - don't get me wrong, the idea is very nice but I'm not quite sure how practical it is...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 119 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Niggydip... FMtransmitter with fmboost (actived) works, it's not perfect, but, with free channels, works. Do you activate FMtrnasmitter before of after opening player and before of after connecting to usb-car-charger?
It ALWAYS must be enabled AFTER, try disabling-enabling again if something goes wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to rpgAmazon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Lagos, Nigeria
Originally Posted by rpgAmazon View Post
Niggydip... FMtransmitter with fmboost (actived) works, it's not perfect, but, with free channels, works. Do you activate FMtrnasmitter before of after opening player and before of after connecting to usb-car-charger?
It ALWAYS must be enabled AFTER, try disabling-enabling again if something goes wrong.
Thanks mate...to activate fm boost, all I gotta do is tab d shortcut I created on d desktop right?(usually nothing happens afterwards though) Well I usually launch fm boost(supposedly) then try transmitting via d FM transmitter and regardless of d frequency I set my car steroe to I dont get any audio...even when I attempt to transmit after I open Media Player...

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by oddish2211 View Post
yes, but in my case, on my radio are 2 push buttons and not a small knob so i have to cycle through the whole band. and sometimes when i thought i had found a free channel and fired my N900 up it still wasn't a good channel, much interference from another transmitter.
you may find the ideas in this post for expanding the transmittable wavelength useful: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...212#post585212

you may find its not useful or possibly against the law in your area, but worth a look regardless.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to festivalnut For This Useful Post: