Active Topics

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
Last weekend we went to a a friends house and I had my wife drive while I did the navigation using Ovi Maps. I am on Rogers Prepaid (poor me!), and no data access save for WiFi.

I could get a decent GPS lock, but for some reason Ovi Maps would have "bursts" where it would ask me to select an internet connection several times in a row. After that, it would be happy for some time and then start again. That made it quite unusable for the navigation!

I did download all the Canada and USA maps before hand, and the Location widget was not active so I have no idea what was trying to download what from where. I only know that whatever it was really ruined the experience.

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ireland
it's a toy, don't think it will replace your GPS. We have to wait for proper software.

I did some km with n900 as a gps just for a test. I've downloaded all maps etc.

GPS signal, for me perfect
Maps...well...another story.
1) Not that detailed, some roads are not there etc. I know Ireland might not be the biggest market but...
2) Keeps asking for INTERNET connection! Then it will stop and...after 20km it will try to ask again...10 times! What part of NO you don't understand!
3) No automatic recalculation.
If you take the wrong turn go back to 'selecting start point' and click again 'from gps position' and magically it will recalculate.
4) No navigation - you have no idea how far you have to go before next turn so you keep staring on your phone from time to time or you have to zoom out to have some idea when is the next turn

Again...nice toy, don't use it because you will crash, get lost or start screeming in your car: NO I DON'T HAVE INTERNET CONNECTION. Trust me

The Following User Says Thank You to bull81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Hampshire, England
I've had my N900 just 2 days and I'm still getting to grips with it. I'm used to Nokia maps on my N78 so to find that there appears to be no navigation and no way to save bookmarks/addresses with ovi maps is a real disappointment.

C'mon Nokia, the N900 has such great potential - why the backward step?

Someone please tell me I've got it wrong or that it's about to be fixed.

Br, Nick

It's not the easiest navigator but with some experience and skilled driving/one hand phone navigation (which is almost non existent on the n900), you can eventually find your way.

One handed operation is sorely missed however, as typing an SMS at a red light requires both hands. On older phones you just typed away.

Calling someone can be a bit hazardous at times I have found. Physical keys are "safer" while driving I conclude.

Posts: 41 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ ireland
I think you guys still didn't get it: n900 is not a N97 upgrade

Originally Posted by oskarmat View Post
I think you guys still didn't get it: n900 is not a N97 upgrade
What's to get? When I buy the Nokia flagship phone I want it to do everything my last Nokia phone did and more. Yes sure the HW and SW is completely dfferent but I expect progress not regress.

Now before you go getting all defensive (why do people do that?), I'm 90% chuffed to bits with the phone and don't want to go back. I am sure Nokia will get round to updating the SW to give us bookmarks and turn-by-turn voice navigation eventually. I'm just disappointed, like many other people no doubt, that those features aren't there now. It would also be nice to have an eta from Nokia giving us a rough idea of how long we can expect to wait before these omissions are redressed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onimoD For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by barc0de View Post
It's not the easiest navigator but with some experience and skilled driving/one hand phone navigation (which is almost non existent on the n900), you can eventually find your way.

One handed operation is sorely missed however, as typing an SMS at a red light requires both hands. On older phones you just typed away.

Calling someone can be a bit hazardous at times I have found. Physical keys are "safer" while driving I conclude.
Maybe someone could post the video for us, of you piling into the back of a juggernaught as you attempt to "safely" use your phone while driving.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by onimoD View Post
I.. no way to save bookmarks/addresses with ovi maps is a real disappointment....
Who told you that? Ovi can save bookmarks/addresses.

bun

In my opinion the Ovi maps is one of the weakest points of N900. To not be able to create and save POI's is an elemental feature missing.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
In my opinion the Ovi maps is one of the weakest points of N900. To not be able to create and save POI's is an elemental feature missing.
Why people keeps on saying that? My Ovi map can save address/bookmarks and POI.

bun

Tags
gps, ovi maps, phone, poi, traveling