Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
*gets in Jeep and goes off-roading*
*plays music from n900 over radio*
*receives call from Enterprise Operations from my job telling me one of our Apache servers has gone down and I need to fix, also comes over speakers*
*stops offroading, turns down volume, connects to work vpn and opens a shell on n900*
*SSH's to apache box, ps -ef | grep httpd, daemons are running.. odd..*
*pops open browser and connect to a onesight monitoring tool to check website statuses, notice they're all down..*
*pop open remote desktop app and connect to IIS servers to check if theyre running.. they are, sites accessible from localhost..*
*open up another shell and telnet to apache box port 80 and 443 to verify ports are truly listening.. connet, do a GET, pull back site. Good.*
*nslookup website, pull back correct external IP*
*scratch head.. *
*call firewall guy, listen to call over radio, rain starts to fall on Jeep*
*check forecast and radar, storm comin and still got a ways to go..*
*firewall guy discovers issue, goes to work on it*
*disconnect from vpn and verify i can access sites externally again*
*hang up with firewall guy, call back EO and tell them all fixed, get informed a couple weblogic jvms are hung.. sigh.. say ok and hang up*
*connect back to vpn and execute a perl script I wrote that restarts the JVMs without any interaction*
*sit n900 in cup holder while script runs and continue on trail.*
*check n900 a few minutes later and see the JVMs are back up.. close shell, disconnect from vpn, call EO and tell them alls well again. they say thanks, i hang up, turn music back on over radio*

Such an inferior device.

simple people use simple phones.
Pro using the N900 to it's full potential - WIN
"Off-roading" with 3G (?) coverage - FAIL

"The Cake Is A Lie"

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
Hey, maybe some places are actually civilized enough to put 3G coverage where it's supposed to be - everywhere.

Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
I'm in Kentucky. Can be in a rural area in 15 minutes with full coverage for miles.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughingstok For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by epitaph View Post
Android has better Apps and has Flash and also OS is updated more frequently and usually Android device has more RAM. 256 MB is a bit low and also Ovi-Store is a shame. I don't know about the other app-stores but Ovi-Store rulez are gay.
"better apps" but nobody can name one? My partners got an Android phone but I haven't found an app I am missing on my N900 yet.

I can't see the last OS update has brought much and we have the CSSU anyway and I doubt the next update will work with any Android phone over 12 months old. RAM like dual core is due to the phones age more than anything else.

Who needs Ovi store when we have TMO and the various developers like Tommi etc giving us quality free apps to download?

When Overclocking my n900 to 900-1150 ghz it just shutdown sometimes but it worked a month ago? What are the specs of the new "n900" ?

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
Originally Posted by razefox View Post
Hello my beloved fellowers,

The nokia was released in November 11, 2009 and I was on of the first that got it at this.

After the release of Android Phones and the iPhone 4, the n900's appearance was already damaged alot could't stand the pace with other phones, but it was still alright.

Now the warship Apple want's to release the iPhone 5 which is going to have alot of new features like the previous phones, the changes are like a iPhone 3 to a iPhone 3gs, its immense and unbelievable. Steve Jobs is doing an amazing job by the way.

But that is not all, the hallower google in corporation with Samsung threw a new AGP-Phone into the market, the Samsung Galaxy S 2 which has a 1.2 GHZ Dual Processor and even has the power to emulate Windows XP or play high-graphic-quality games.

Also the marketplace is by FAR better then Maemo's marketplace,
iPhone Marketplace: 2.000.000 Million Apps
Android Marketplace: 1.000.000 MIllion Applications
Maemo Marketplace 1.000 (REALLY?? THATS ALL?? YES!!)

Just look at the iPhone and Anroid Forums, only nice persons that will take you srsly .

soo....

It was nice while it lasted but there are alot of better phones now that can do way more then N900.

RIP N900, RIP Maemo, RIP Debian, RIP NOKIA!!
umadbro?
i am seriously starting to get pissed here, how come the n900 is dead whyle all this awesome community still supporting it ?? its not bloody dead, not even close, **** you want an iphone go get one, you want a touchwiz go get one, you want the 200000 apps in the android market GET NITDROID !! we are still getting awesome facebook apps (sociality) and of the hook youtube apps (ytube or cutetube-qml ) , maemo 5 is the closest thing to a pc os you will ever get in your pocket........
its not dead, it will never ...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elie-7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 206 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ London
I don't think Android or even iOS have better apps than the N900. They have more apps, a lot more, but not better.

In terms of apps and functionality, whatever the iOS/Android phones can do, N900 can as well, it has the same or similar apps that allow it to perform any and all functions that iOS/Android phones do via apps. Plus the N900 has way more/better hardware. And that is a fact.

I can't think of anything that my iPhone can do which my N900 can't in terms of apps and functionality/features.

So really, to say Android or iOS is better than maemo is more a matter of preferance rather than actual functionality.

And Android is just a knock off iOS skin, both OS's look so similar. I personally would take iOS over any lame Android phone. And would prefer maemo over iOS. So like I said, in terms of smartphone functionality, there isn't anything they can do which N900 can't. It therefore comes down to preferance.

But hang on a minute. What about the things that N900 can do which iOS/Android can't..

Well for most users its all about the apps, so for the sake of the OPs arguement, I'll just focus on apps..

Bluemaemo:
Control PS3, functions as a PS3 controller, media remote, keyboard and mouse all in one single small device, rather than 4 separate ones.

This is not just limited to PS3, it can control alot of devices this way through bluetooth such as your PC and also other smartphones or bluetooth systems.

Android/iOS don't have an app like this that offers so much versatility and functionality, and they probably never will. I actually like the iOS but facts are facts.

Apple Raemote:
App that acts like an apple media remote for iMacs, Macbooks etc. Need I say more? Simple and easy to use by anyone.

iOS could do this but not as well as the N900. Android will never have such an app.

VNC Viewer:
Allows remote connection to your PC/Laptop and whatever else. You can view whats on the connected device's screen and control it fully using your N900 screen. Touch friendly.

Qtirreco: Control almost any TV, amplifier, home cinema system, set top box via this app using remote functionality through built in infra red port/transmitter. Works with everything I have at home, old and new.

This combined with bluemaemo, vnc viewer and appleraemote make the N900 a media beast, not a media centre but a media universe. As it can control 100s of devices all from this one device, while you sit on your ***.

iOS and Android will never gain such functionality no matter how many apps they get on their store.

PS1 and Nintendo DS Emulators:
Let me play all of my final fantasy games (1-9) on the Nokia N900. With tv-out cable I can connect to my home cinema system and play these retro games with theatre quality full HD surround sound. I can also do this with my PS3 fair enough, but what other phone can do this other than N900?

iOS and Android will never have this possibility.

QueenBeecon Widgets:
Allows you to create yur own customizable widgets and shortcuts. You can create HTC style weather clock, cpu frequency changers, monitor data usage, cpu temperature, ip address or just create simple shortcuts to launch apps such as the phone app.

You can use your own icons for further customization of widgets/shortcuts, change their sizes, use custom font and change font color/sizes. Choose what to display and where to display it. The possiblities are endless.

iOS/Android will never have this.

OpenSSH: Allows access to N900 root folders using this app. You can use this to completely change the look of your entire operating system, from icons, to widgets, from window colours and appearence, right down to the bootscreens and welcome logos.

In short this app allows the Nokia N900 to be the most customizable phone in the market today. And this offers true personalization, whereas other phones would just offer various themes that just put a skin over the entire device. N900 allows you to access and change each and every individual aspect of it, you can even mix and match should you wish! Like I have done, with my pimped out Awoken Fusion theme, custom iOS icons, N series original notifications, M4rina D4rk calendar and HTC style widgets. That's 5 different themes fused in one.

I wonder if iOS 5 discovers widgets and Android can only dream of the above personalization options.

Custom Firmware: Allowing me to give 8GB of allocated space for apps, rather than the standard 2GB. I can change this size any time I flash and I don't even need to 'jailbreak' to do it. Possible to just simply make 1 quick edit to the original firmware and then flash.

Not to mention Preenv allowing me to have 55+ WebOS games to take up most of that 8GB app space lol..

Theseare just a few of the apps unique to the N900/maemo, I have listed my favourite ones. I am sure other users can add a lot more!

The simple fact is in terms of functionality and apps, the N900 can do everything the iOS/Android and other smartphones can do, plus a whole lot more.

So it really comes down to a matter of preferance. Gimme an N900 successor with all of the above + 8-12MP camera and I am interested, otherwise I will be holding onto my N900 long after I have replaced my iPhone 4's, 5's and 6's.

Last edited by Prozac786; 2011-05-14 at 21:34.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Prozac786 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
When Overclocking my n900 to 900-1150 ghz it just shutdown sometimes but it worked a month ago? What are the specs of the new "n900" ?
Why the hell do you bother to care? Your fist post says you want some kind of Android soo why even bother care what nextgen Nxx will have?

And this discussions about how many apps or Ghz is jut plain stupid.

Ghz and DualCore CPU doesnt always mean its better. Every software engineer knows that. But ofcourse endusers doesnt know this and the HW companys makes alot of profit on it!

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-05-14 at 21:35.

Overclocking it's not like display brightness setting , it takes time and tweaking . Read my thread about this , jananan gave me some good advices and now my n900 runs at 1000mhz for 3 days with 0 crashes/lag/reboots .

Perhaps these nice people can help you with that question?

"Just look at the iPhone and Anroid Forums, only nice persons that will take you srsly"

I doubt you are going to get much help here now with your approach.

Edit
From the above post it looks like we have some nice people on this forum as well!!!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to droitwichgas For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread