Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by virtual_one View Post
Ah, yes, you're right, it does connect automatically. But as you said I still need to get the keyboard layout, this is my question, how to get all keys working properly. Thank you.
Key mappings in N900 is very problematic. I haven't been able to get my PC105 finnish keyboard to load the correct mapping. My Nokia SU8W is working correctly however.

BlueKlase and BT HID script makes the same thing with keyboards. They both try to load the correct keymapping after you connect your keyboard. But if you are not able to do the correct keymapping in first place (like me with microsoft keyboard) either of these scripts doesn't help.

Originally Posted by jakoleh View Post
I have created first version of the Bluetooth keyboard layout selector application (BlueKlase), as request in http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Blue...out#Next_steps.
This is precessor of the python script I wrote earlier.

!!!! This is first version so install this with your own risk. !!!

Installation instructions:
1) install attached deb file. It will install following files:
/etc/event.d/bluetooth-keyboard
/usr/bin/BlueKlase
2) Get your keyboard id using instruction from http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Blue..._Automatically
2) Edit attached settings.txt file and put your keyboard id there.
3) Copy file to /home/user/.config/BlueKlase/ folder.
4) rename it to settings.conf
5) Restart your phone

BlueKlase should start automatically and the system should work.

Future development:
- Optify
- Create control panel widget to be able to add new keyboards more easily. This will also create the settings.conf file and starts the BlueKlase after exit. No more reboot needed.
- Put application to Extras-devel, create bug reporting (if this is really needed)
- Disable virtual keyboard when hw keyboard is attached and enable it again after keyboard is disconnected (if it was enabled anyway).

Hello everyone,

I just wanted you to know your blueklase script worked for me. Actually all I did was download your blueKlase script (found on page 32), installed it and nothing else. I used the microsoft Bt mouse 5000 and microsoft Bt keyboard 6000 (plus the included numerical keypad), and all work perfectly with the BT HID connect/watcher app and your blueklase script. What I did was pair both which took a minute but I figured it out finally, mouse was easy just use 0000 for the pairing code and the keyboard was little trickier but you use the pairing code N900 supplies but important to click the pair button on N900 first and then type in pair code on Bt keyboard and hit enter on Bt keyboard (Of course make sure you put the Bt keyboard and mouse in pairing mode by holding button on back/buttom of device for a few seconds until led light flashes red and green. After pairing click on BT HID connect app and select keyboard and then mouse. (For me N900 correctly named both devices and even the numerical keypad that comes with the bt keyboard). Make sure bluetooth symbol on desktop of N900 turns blue. After doing that then click on BT HID watcher app so it'll start/stop keyboard and mouse whenever you turn on/off the mouse or keyboard using switch on the back/buttom of device. After doing that I installed your blueklase script. After doing that I immediately tested the keyboard to see if the layout worked and it did, I didn't do a restart or anything. I did however notice it wouldn't let me select a special character on the number keys up top until I figered it out. On the BT keyboard you have to tap the shift key and then hit a number key to get the special character. Again hard tap the shift key (not press and hold like normal use on a laptop or desktop) let go and then hit the special character you want.

Ok only downside I noticed was I turned off the keyboard and went back to using the N900 keyboard and noticed I was unable to select a number or special character as if the shift key stopped working and normal press and hold option wasn't working either. So I rebooted the N900 and everything was backed to normal for the N900 keyboard.

Hope this helps someone else with a Mircosoft BT 6000 keyboard and 5000 mouse, not for sure about other types of devices. Thanks again for your awesome hard work you guys do in making everything work.

Last edited by rdwrig0ceo; 2010-10-10 at 00:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to rdwrig0ceo For This Useful Post:
Preliminary info: trying to connect a Freedom Pro keyboard (i'm guessing the same model as JohNy)

Last night I got this to work. I followed the instructions created by Johny and things were golden. Then, out of curiosity I hit the "pair" button again on the keyboard. Of course, this broke the link I had working with the N900.

Now whenever I try to pair the keyboard (through the GUI) with the n900 it successfully connects for a few seconds and then disconnects. It then displays the error message "no keyboard from the list hildon-im-xkbtool" (or something similar, it goes away too quickly). The BT icon in the status area stays white and when I look at hildon-im-xkbtool the keyboard does not appear (of course, because the connection is dropped).

I was able to get the BT info, but when I try to set the dbus (with my own information) I get this error
Code:
Must use org.mydomain.Interface.Method notation, no dot in "org/bluez/2062/hci0/dev_00_18_00_17_2F_03"
There is no dot in that line...so I have no idea what I might need to fix to get it to work.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Mr. Ben; 2010-10-29 at 18:28. Reason: Further detail.

Since upgrading to PR1.3 I am no longer able to use my iGo Stowaway keyboard. It previously worked without a problem.

Pairing appears to work, but the keyboard immediately reverts to Discoverable mode. I guess this indicates that the keyboard hasn't acknowledged the pairing, though the N900 has. I am unable to make a connection happen (the BT icon remains white). I guess some kind of log might help figure out what's happening, so I installed ksyslogd but nothing came up while I paired the device.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by avidscavenger View Post
Since upgrading to PR1.3 I am no longer able to use my iGo Stowaway keyboard. It previously worked without a problem.

[...]

Any suggestions?
No real help, but for me it still works, so it does not seem to be directly related to PR 1.3.

(I have a Dell think outside keyboard, which is a rebranded Stowaway)

Can you tell me what tools or scripts you are using?

As I said, the pairing seems to work from the perspective of the N900 but the keyboard doesn't seem to recognise that it has been paired. I've tried playing with the BT HID scripts which made no difference. I did modify /etc/bluetooth/main.conf as per http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_Unsu...tooth_profiles

I played with the keyboard quite a bit using both PR1.1 and PR1.2 and never had a problem getting the connection established, only with layout issues. I'm pleased that someone has made these work with PR1.3, but since my problem started exactly with I installed PR1.3 I am assuming that something has gone wrong in the process. But I'm at a loss as to what I could do next.

Update: looking in /var/log/syslog I see the occasional line

[1181]: Unknown connection type: HID
where process 1181 is executing /usr/bin/hildon-status-menu

Other possibly suspect lines immediately following the pairing are:

Nov 2 12:53:38 Nokia-N900 bluetoothd[1009]: link_key_request (sba=D8:75:33:CE:17:67, dba=00:19:15:29:96:34)
Nov 2 12:53:38 Nokia-N900 bluetoothd[1009]: pin_code_request (sba=D8:75:33:CE:17:67, dba=00:19:15:29:96:34)
Nov 2 12:53:40 Nokia-N900 bluetoothd[1009]: link_key_notify (sba=D8:75:33:CE:17:67, dba=00:19:15:29:96:34, type=0)
Nov 2 12:53:41 Nokia-N900 [1181]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Profile: 00001124-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb
Nov 2 12:53:41 Nokia-N900 [1181]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Profile: 00001200-0000-1000-8000-00805f9b34fb

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Can you tell me what tools or scripts you are using?
As far as I can remember I followed the instructions from e.g. post #27 (before upgrading to 1.3, I did not need to redo them), and I use the command from the first post (in a QB widget).
Qole's watcher script does not work for me.

Did /etc/bluetooth/main.conf perhaps get reset, so the HID profile is not loaded? For me it was not, but I did backup all my settings, and didn't do a full reflash.

Hmmm, no real difference from what I did. I've confirmed that /etc/bluetooth/main.conf is as it should be.

@ Mr Ben I think I'm getting the same symptoms you in post #333 I noticed that the BT icon briefly changes to blue, then back to white, just as the keyboard reverts to discoverable mode. Have you found a solution?

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
@ Mr Ben I think I'm getting the same symptoms you in post #333 I noticed that the BT icon briefly changes to blue, then back to white, just as the keyboard reverts to discoverable mode. Have you found a solution?
Those symptoms are what happens when I don't do this:

Originally Posted by qobi View Post
Then as user do:
$ setxkbmap -device 4 -I -I/usr/share/X11/xkb-chinook -rules base -model pc105 -layout us
Then type a key (any key) on the internal keyboard. Now the external keyboard should work.

I don't know why you need to type a key on the internal keyboard for this to take effect.
However I tried it just now and I didn't need to "type a key on the internal keyboard". Not sure whether this was a fluke or because of PR1.3 or of the latest BT HID Scripts.