Previously I successfully installed my root FS on my 1GB MMC using fanoush's Alternative 2/Subsection 3 method contained in his maemo.org posted "How to Boot Root FS From MMC." Now that I have partitioned and successfully installed a Kingston 2GB mobile MMC on my 770, I am trying to replicate my previously successful installation. I was successful following his instructions again up to the point where I needed to "remount flash rootfs to different directory to reveal hidden /dev/ entries." When entering the necessary command both from my PC using SSH and internally on the 770 using osso xterm, I got the following error message: "Mounting /dev/mtdblock4 on /floppy failed: Device or resource busy." Does anyone have any idea what my problem might be this time when I believe I've followed the exact same routine as previously with the 1GB MMC? I have not got the virtual memory activated.

Last edited by ascherjim; 2006-11-01 at 05:03. Reason: misspellings

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
it is better to copy/paste what you did instead of saying "When entering the necessary command"

probably some typo or something, just tried and works for me with and without additional parameters (not strictly needed in this case)

Code:
Nokia770-26:~$ sudo gainroot
Root shell enabled

BusyBox v1.01 (Debian 3:1.01-4.osso10-ipv6.etc1) Built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.

/home/user # mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /floppy -o rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000
/home/user # umount /floppy/
/home/user # mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /floppy        
/home/user # umount /floppy/
maybe you did it twice in the row or mounted something else to /floppy? Just tried again twice and indeed it prints
Code:
/home/user # mount -t jffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /floppy -o rw,rpsize=1024,rpuid=0,rpuid=30000
mount: Mounting /dev/mtdblock4 on /floppy failed: Device or resource busy
/home/user #

I have a great (but highly unpleasant!) sense here of deja vu. Following fanoush's suggestions I got farther along in the process, seemingly successfully up to a point. When I executed "rsync -avh --delete /floppy/ /opt/" root directories/files seemed to be transferring to my 2gb MMC ext2 partition all right, but ultimately I got the error message that my device had run out of space. I then couldn't reboot. When this happened before, I had to reflash the 2006OS, which I guess I'll have to do again, losing all the complex (for me) applications I'd previously entered, i.e., the Freedom keyboard program. Of course, I have those on my 1GB MMC, so I'll just have to reinstall them from that. Oh, well, it is discouraging -- but also does fill in the time (not that I can spare all that much!).

UPDATE: After reflashing and loading most applications back in (except for kbdd -- with U.S. Freedom keyboard) as I have to remember how I did it the first time(!), I was able successfully to put root filesystem on my 2GB Kingston mobile MMC. I don't know whether my success this second (second) time was due to more care or luck, or to the fact that instead of executing everything from Nokia770-26:~root#, I instead did it from /home/user, as fanoush does in his recent posting. (However, maybe ~# is in fact the same as /home/user, which if that's the case, I didn't really do anything different -- and principally care and luck carried me through.) Of course, I had to first get my 770 to recognize the 2GB card by flashing with zImage-su-18-200627. While I first attempted flashing with fanoush's zImage-su-18-200625-2gb-mmcplus52<hz (which was accepted by the system) that in itself didn't enable my 770 to read the 2GB card. Anyway, as "someone" once said -- Mission Accomplished!

Last edited by ascherjim; 2006-11-01 at 22:52. Reason: Correct misspelling