Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by lohner View Post
Yes, but Windows Phone != Windows, even != Windows Mobile. So all your old software base is useless with the new Windows (ARM) platform.

True, they are the biggest software company. But there are more free software developers, releasing GNU or BSD licenced software than there are developers releasing MSEULA software.

I am as curious as you what's going to happen. Of course I may be wrong and they'll beat even Apple with there WP7 phones (not even talking about ther shabbily treated MeeGo phones). I only find it hard to believe.
I have never seen that i can remember 2 companies as big as what has happened here join together and if you look at some of the answers you gave such as "True, they are the biggest software company" you will see why i am really wondering just what will come out from the merger between these 2.

At least the OP's question should have been firmly answered on this thread in that MeeGo is not the future or next commitment from Nokia in any way or form.

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I have never seen that i can remember 2 companies as big as what has happened here join together and if you look at some of the answers you gave such as "True, they are the biggest software company" you will see why i am really wondering just what will come out from the merger between these 2.
I take that as two big desperate companies losing market share faster than their mothers can <CENSORED>... aka a desperate act of saving their market share, which if you are to trust the Flint ratings means Nokia shares are pants!

MeeGo won't die, but it'll curse the day Nokia f**ked Intel... obviously somebody forgot to tell Nokia that parenting doesn't end after conception...

Last edited by ajack; 2011-06-07 at 17:31.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajack For This Useful Post:

At least the OP's question should have been firmly answered on this thread in that MeeGo is not the future or next commitment from Nokia in any way or form.
They are incredibly huge, also billions (not millions) of people use products of both of them, recognize their brands.... I think this is almost unparalleld in history.

But size does not always matter. At least not for innovation and agility of a company.

But you are right, we are getting way off-topic. Sorry, I'll stop now.

The Following User Says Thank You to lohner For This Useful Post:
HAHAHA 2 very good replies there from both of you .

Maybe the OP don't mind us rattling on as the question of MeeGo is a forgone conclusion anyway.

Personally i would have liked both Maemo and MeeGo to be developed much further by Nokia but i got this feeling that MS can outdo both in an instant if the hardware is right and that is the easy conclusion to make i guess as Nokia are very capable hardware wise but lets hope they aint peed off Intel too much hahaha or they will have to go elsewhere for a cpu .

Maybe the OP don't mind us rattling on as the question of MeeGo is a forgone conclusion anyway.
I am switching to an ANDROID Phone ASAP !!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to augustya For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by augustya View Post
Android should always be your second mobile anyhow, i have a few myself to get me out of trouble if the N900 has any problems.

Personally i would have liked both Maemo and MeeGo to be developed much further by Nokia
Me too, as long as they both have Qt for app development.
but i got this feeling that MS can outdo both in an instant if the hardware is right and that is the easy conclusion to make i guess as Nokia are very capable hardware wise but lets hope they aint peed off Intel too much hahaha or they will have to go elsewhere for a cpu .
Probably, but then: why do they have no monopoly in the mobile sector already, like they do with desktops?

It's because their usual strategy, to copy the technology leader and to kill off the competition by a series of fouls has not worked yet.

But soon it will. They copied a minimalistic UI from Apple and nailed their system down like Apple. I'm sure they joined with Oracle to sue Google on Android, they use their patents to charge hardware manufacturers for every Android device. Then they destroy Nokia by planting a CEO that kills off MeeGo.

Playing a little unfair (not letting the market alone deceide) to win, but that's how it's done obviously.

Last edited by lohner; 2011-06-07 at 17:58. Reason: messed up quotes

Originally Posted by augustya View Post
That seems to be the conclusion if you still had hoped for MeeGo on your next Nokia phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to lohner For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lohner View Post
Me too, as long as they both have Qt for app development.

Probably, but then: why do they have no monopoly in the mobile sector already, like they do with desktops?

It's because their usual strategy, to copy the technology leader and to kill off the competition by a series of fouls has not worked yet.

But soon it will. They copied a minimalistic UI from Apple and nailed their system down like Apple. I'm sure they joined with Oracle to sue Google on Android, they use their patents to charge hardware manufacturers for every Android device. Then they destroy Nokia by planting a CEO that kills off MeeGo.

Playing a little unfair (not letting the market alone deceide) to win, but that's how it's done obviously.
If you look at what MS are and do you will see that mobile hardware is not there thing at all, if i was CEO of MS and i wanted to go big in mobile software then i would look to buy a company that manufacturs mobile hardware.
They like everyone else in the world have been watching Nokia and with Nokia obviously failing mainly because of there software weakness, MS obviously seen what was happening with Nokia knowing full well the potential of a merger or buyout.

Buying out Nokia is not an option unless you have THAT much capitol to use so they waited for the right time to jump in with the merger offer bringing the 2 together as one basically.

Nokia WILL benefit no mater what in the long term as MS have a huge past record behind them and can sustain this for a very long time.

MS on the other hand needed to develop further in another field so with mobile hardware technology improving tremendously, they have made the move probably at the right time on mobile software now, having the right company to develop the hardware.

This merger will not be short lived in any way or form and people who think otherwise do not look deep enough into the 2 companies.

Something good has to happen on the law of averages alone so my mind is set on a wait and see basis but i bet we will not have to wait too long.

Tags
bada blows, buysomethinelse, erics the idiot, goodbye nokia, nok+ms rox more, nokia's dead, oh so dead, so dead